collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Some screaming, some cursing... some have lost their minds - Sam Montgomery, Blue Devil Blues

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 221405 times)

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2005, 11:30:22 AM »
Hello all.  I lurk on the few internet forums that have to do with country blues, and post infrequently, but after seeing that BOTH outfidel and waxhead, I mean waxwing, put intro's up, I decided to join and say Hi.  I enjoy both these gentlemen's posts a great deal, especially when I see Waxwing getting slapped by the heavyweights on the pre-war-blues list which I also lurk on.  I am 50yo, and have loved this music since I was exposed to it as a child.  I was fortunate enough to grow up in Saratoga Springs and be the diswasher at the Caffe Lena all through my high school years and beyond.  There was an incredible array of talent on stage, as there is now, and I was constantly exposed to all sorts of great american music by Paul Geremia, Rev. Davis, Roy Bookbinder, DVR, David Bromberg and so on.  Andy Cohen, Martin Grosswendt and others lived in town and were inspirations as well as friends.  I would watch from close range these guys play on the weekend, and go home and try and figure out what they were doing.  I also bought up lp's on Biograph, Yazoo, Blue Goose, Arhoolie and studied them, learning Blake, Larry Johnson and others.  It was an incredible time, and I have only realized lately how lucky I was.  I guess you could call it lucky if you think growing up around a bunch of drunken, stoned ne'er do well blues and folk musicians is lucky.  It took me years to recover, and I still haven't thank God.  The only downside to this is that I grew up thinking that everyone plays blues as well as Paul Geremia, and I could never measure up.  That of course is not true.  I played a lot throough my early 20's, and then got married, grad school etc etc, and about 5 years ago got this feeling that I had to start playing again, particularly the Rev. Davis stuff.  I have been pleased to discover that I am not as bad as I thought, and with the help of local guitar wizard Paul Asbell, feel like I am playing as well as ever.  A friend led me to Julia Cameron's the Artist's Way, which I actually worked through and this helped me understand issues about creativity, performance and songwriting that had always puzzled me.  Her approach really resonates with me, and that coupled with my having lost the fear of making a fool of myself (two teenaged daughters help this), has led me to some performing that I have been grateful for and has been very rewarding.  I am very pleased to report that the traditional country blues repertoire is well accepted just about anywhere, a fact that continually suprises and delights me.   I feel truly blessed to be able to play this stuff and share it, as I think it is a vital living form.  I look forward to getting to know all of you, and seeing you somewhere.

Mike

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2005, 11:50:18 AM »
Hi Mike and welcome to WC. Never thought I'd say this to someone but boy how I envy you your past dishwashing job ;). Feel free to tell some stories of those days if you get the urge, I'm sure they'd be fascinating.

I'll note that you've also inadvertently distinguished yourself by becoming our 500th member. Congratulations, Ed McMahon will be showing up at your door any moment now...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 11:52:37 AM by uncle bud »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2005, 11:53:32 AM »
Welcome to Weenie Campbell, Mike, our 500th member!. As you know, I share the sentiments you expressed, as do most of us here. Well put.
And, ouch, don't remind me of getting slapped down by Paul Garon.<G> I get slapped around enough here, just in a friendlier kinda way. If you could get to Port Townsend, WA, you would sure meet a bunch of us there.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2005, 12:02:05 PM »
Welcome Mike! - glad you found us and congrats on being number 500.  Ed McMahon will indeed arrive, but with only 1 balloon and no check.

Cheers,
slack

Offline Chun

• Howdy!
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2005, 03:56:19 PM »
Well...Ok I guess Ill chime in and introduce myself. My name is Christian, (user name: chun...chris-chun) Ive been lurking here for months, listening and reading. Its great to see a foum dedicated to just this stuff. Ive been playing guitar for about 15 years. (Im 35) old time banjo for about 12 and am learning the mandolin (banjolin). I live out in Ventura, California( near Santa Barbara). My whole guitar playing career I have been fingerpicking country blues and ragtime...got into it after I saw Tom Ball and Kenny Sultan playing at a company barbeque when I was working for Patagonia. Started taking lessons with Kenny Sultan, showed up with my picks on backward and a slight buzz....after Kenny set me straight,the rest is history as they say. It snowballed from there.Im seriously fanatical about pre-war blues and old time music. Walking a fine line, just this side of complete crackpotism. Have a nice collection of guitars, banjos, bonjolins, records(78s) and CDs. Ive playing in a jugband for about 4 years (the What-Me Worry Jugband and in another outfit with two other guys The Polecat Ramblers (old time, blues, jugband, hokum, cajun, mexican and irish music.) Ive been a high school economics teacher for eight years. Im always playing music and it seems like theres not enough time in the day for everything I want to learn. Lately Ive takin' to trying to learn the tunes note for note from the old recordings and trying to transcribe(not easy!). I never really was convinced that this was the way to play this music...Ive always felt that you should make it your own so to speak. However...I think this is the way to go...because I like to see how all these guys played, then naturally it takes twists and turns and becomes your own. I know banjochris...I think he convinced me(unknowing to him) that path was the way to go. He's an incredible player by the way (as are all you guys and gals).He has an encyclopedic knowledge of the genre. Anyways..I hope to get to Port Townsend some day...that seems like just too much fun.

Take it easy

Christian (chun)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2005, 04:30:34 PM »
Way too much fun. Welcome to Weenie Campbell Chris(chun).
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2005, 04:53:10 PM »
Welcome Chistian - glad you got out of lurkdom!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2005, 04:56:14 PM »
Welcome Christian. Glad to see another delurker. BanjoChris did a monster job on the Willie McTell song keys posts. We expect no less from you. (kidding  :P)

Banjolin eh? One of my dream instruments, in a great obnoxious way.

blind rat blues

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2005, 03:22:40 AM »
Hi all, this looks like the place to be so I'm here My name is Keith (blind rat blues) and yes I am close to being blind from the effects of diabetes but I love the blues I guess that's why I'm here.
my fave bluesman is Lightnin' Hopkins and I do play guitar  that's enough for now.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2005, 06:43:31 AM »
Hi all, this looks like the place to be so I'm here My name is Keith (blind rat blues) and yes I am close to being blind from the effects of diabetes but I love the blues I guess that's why I'm here.
my fave bluesman is Lightnin' Hopkins and I do play guitar  that's enough for now.

Welcome to Weenie Campbell, Keith!

ohpapa

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2005, 02:36:56 PM »
Scott Perry here, just signed on today.? Discovered y'all while doing a google search on John Miller whose Robert Wilkins instructional video I previewed today.? John, if you're out there I think you're a great player and teacher!

I bought a guitar as a kid because I thought that's how a young man might get some attention from young girls.? Didn't work so I took up football instead.? Football didn't really work for me either in the attracting young girls department, but did get me into college (Colby College, Waterville, ME to be exact -- surprisingly supporting a very active blues scene back in the early 80s)).? It also got me a bum knee and chronic bad back.? Got into country blues through Taj Mahal's "Oh So Good & Blue" album while in college.? That album knocked me and my butt and prompted me to take up the guitar and learn songs by the players on that albums credits.? Soon after taking up the guitar I quit football and a fair amount of my studies and have been playing professionally or semi-professionally for most of my life since.? Eventuallly attracted the attention of a very supportive and understanding woman and have never looked back!? I currently play out part time while I homeschool my two sons, try to get my acoustically oriented music store up and going and keep up with the chores on our little farm in SW VA.

I'm really knocked out by this sight and read with great interest some past posts.? I was especially interested in the thread "Writing Covers" as I am in the midst of writing material for an all original disc of "in the tradition" material.? I also enjoyed the discussion of G6 tuning as I'm a huge Lonnie Johnson and Bo Carter fan.? I'm very inept all things technical & electronic, but when I get some stuff laid down I'd be glad to post it on the "Back Porch."? If anyone wants to hear any of my stuff before then feel free to visit http://www.ohpapa.com.? I must say I am also really impressed by the "tone" of the discussions on this site.? Y'all seem like a bunch of great folks and I hope that despite the hectic nature of my schedule I'm able to log on from time to time and get to know you all.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2005, 02:52:41 PM »
Welcome Scott!

Looks like you have your hands full with teaching kids, operating a music store and playing gigs.  Some fancy websites too!

Cheers,
Slack

chipmonk doug

« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2005, 03:19:45 PM »
Well I'll check in.  I'm Doug Heard preform as Chipmonk Doug.  Been playing sense '63, started as a folk singer (didn't we all in those days), moved to being a country rhythm player in the 70's, played out a good bit in those days.  Took a big chunk of the 80's and 90's being a once a month player (kids, family, jobs etc.) Been working hard at it now for a few years.  Playing out again but this time as a solo or duo with my wife the Bear Breasted Harmonica Player.

I'm what I call a very dirty player vs those pickers we call clean.  I wish I was a clean player but I'm more interested in getting the song out than taking the extra time to make it super clean.  And it just doesn't seem to be my style, so I'll have to live with being a dirty player working at cleaner.  I have been mostly a Martin player, a '68 D-18 (gone), a '28 5-18 (that I played in the USMC stateside and VN -saddly gone also), '76 D-28 (still have but don't play it much, but it was great for lots of years), '01 00-15 I bought for a blues guitar when I started working hard on finger style blues, and now my go to guitar is a custom 12 fret 00 size McCormick built to my specs by Mac McCormick in Columbus Ga.

I'm not good enough to cover anybody and sound like them (well maybe early Dylan  :) ) so I just do the songs my way and try to get the felling I get from the original.

My inlaws live in Sequim and someday I'll get there when the Blues Workshop is going on.
My baby is 30 this coming Aug. so we are only a few years from giving up the day jobs and playing all the time.
My day jobs are teaching computers for old farts at the community college,  building web pages for small businesses and a little gunsmithing. 
We live in rural N. FL and just waiting for retirement to go back to the west coast.

http://www.stone-soup.com/northleft/

If you go look at the web page remember the shoemakers kids.  I never work on my website, so it's not up to date and doesn't look very good.

dougheard@stone-soup.com

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2005, 02:20:37 PM »
Andrew: I just laughed out loud about Ed McMahon! You are some funny , man!  :D
Mike, loved your post. Welcome. Andrew is right. Over a beer or a shot of whiskey, Weenies would love to hear  some of these episodes in the life. I will happily tell you about my  days as a GP in rural Alabama in return! :P
Miller
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

zjazzyz

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2005, 09:09:36 AM »
Great site!  Thanks to my friends in San Francisco who turned me on to it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal