Country Blues > Country Blues Lyrics

Robert Petway Lyrics

<< < (2/4) > >>

Johnm:
Hi all,
Robert Petway recorded "Bertha Lee Blues" at his second session for Bluebird, in Chicago on February 20, 1942, accompanying himself out of G position in standard tuning and backed by Alfred Elkins on imitation bass, who really adds a lot to the track. It's always a shock hearing this song, whether hearing it for the first time or returning to it after not having heard it for a while--Petway's tempo and playing--Good God! It's unfathomable how Petway could do spoken asides throughout this performance--whew! Here is "Bertha Lee Blues":

INTRO SOLO

Bertha Lee, you sure have been good to me
Bertha Lee, you sure have been good to me
You been good, Bertha Lee, that you was intend to be (Spoken: You sure is, baby!)

Bertha Lee, honey, please don't you stray from home (Spoken: I'm talkin' 'bout you, Bertha Lee)
Bertha Lee, please don't you stray from home
If you do, Bertha Lee, something sure is goin' on wrong (Spoken: Yes, yes! Talk about Bertha Lee some now)

SOLO (Spoken: Well, all right!)

Bertha Lee, why'n't you come back home to me?
Bertha Lee, why'n't you come back home to me?
If you don't, Bertha Lee, ho babe, I sure can't see

Look-a here now, Bertha Lee, I don't want you even run around
Oh, Bertha Lee, I want you to leave with that runnin' around
If you do, Bertha Lee, please lay my money down (Spoken: Yes, yes, play it 'bout Bertha Lee now a little while, partner!)

SOLO (Spoken: Oh Lord!)

All best,
Johnm

eric:
Wow.  That's intense on every level.  What a voice.

Johnm:
Hi all,
Robert Petway's "Hollow Log Blues" was recorded in Chicago on February 20, 1942, with Alfred Elkins accompanying him on washtub bass. Like the great majority of Petway's recorded repertoire, it was played out of G position in standard tuning, capoed up a ways. He barely hints at a V7 chord in his playing of the song, hitting notes that suggest it on the downbeat of the ninth bar, but then continuing to riff out of G7 in the treble. There seems a pretty likely possibility that these lyrics, if not exactly improvised, were practically so, and there is no mention of a hollow log at any point in Petway's rendition. I'd very much appreciate help with the end of his first spoken comment.  Here is "Hollow Log Blues":

INTRO SOLO

Mmm, ain't gwonna leave you no more
Oh baby, ain't gwonna leave you no more
If I do now, sweet mama, holl', babe, you will never know

Hah well, well I ain't gonna be here long
'aid, oh well, well, ain't gwonna be here long
Say look-a-here now, sweet mama, since my even good girl's been gone

Said, "Look-a-here now, baby, where you stay last night? (Spoken: Play it, man, long time and a heap of it)
Well baby, honey, where you stay last night?"
"None of your business now, sweet mama, I declare you ain't treatin' me right." (Spoken: No, you sure ain't)

Ow b'lieve, I believe I do change my mind
I believe, I believe I do change my mind
Gwonna leave in the mornin', now ol' baby, I don't want to leave here cryin'

When your left eye jump, partner, and your flesh begin to crawl (Spoken: It, sure god, is!)
When your left eye jump, partner, and your flesh begin to crawl
Bet your last dollar now, partner, that woman sure kickin' your doggone stall

Ha! Oh, well oh Lord, oh Lord, oh Lord
Oh Lord, baby, Lord, oh Lord, Lord
Said look-a-here now, sweet mama, I just ain't gwine to be your dog

CODA

Edited 4/21 to pick up corrections from waxwing, Blues Vintage and banjochris

All best,
Johnm

eric:
What a voice!

waxwing:
Hi Johnm,

Sounds to me like the aside is: "Play it, man, long time when he play it" or possibly "Play it, man, long time WAY he play it"

I lean more toward the first.

Wax

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version