collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When I sing of my mule bein' dead, they don't know. They never had no mule die on 'em - Big Bill Broonzy

Author Topic: Buyer Beware!  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"

Offline cc132

Re: Buyer Beware!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »
But he's the best!  I saw a video of Eric Clapton trying to play Robert Johnson once, and even HE was struggling!

...Scrapper who?

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »
But he's the best!  I saw a video of Eric Clapton trying to play Robert Johnson once, and even HE was struggling!

...Scrapper who?

I didn't mean to imply anything negative about RJ's music (which I thoroughly enjoy), just the marketing of this particular product. Infomercial to follow... (But wait! There's more!)

Edited to add: If you click on "Rare Victor Blues" or "Also Playing," you'll see that the package does include tracks that might possibly serve as a gateway to lesser known artists. But, of course, there are better--and less expensive--gateways.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 03:14:25 PM by Stuart »

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:15:38 PM »
I do love Robert's recordings, but actually don't listen to them particularly often these days. Whenever I do hear them, though, I'm always surprised by some new feature that I might have missed previously.
That said, if I had like ?300 lying around, I'd probably not spend it on reproduction 78s that I can't even play.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 04:16:56 PM »
Hunter Thompson was right.

pbl

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »
I really hate crap like this. Besides have they not missed the great RJ boom we had a year or two back.

I wonder who's originals they are using, wouldn't be surprised if Mr  Pristine had cashed in on it.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »
I really only have two complaints about this -- the booklet looks pretty slim to me, and the price. Otherwise it's harmless enough. If this had a really definitive book and extra material I don't see what the difference would be between it and the Charlie Patton set, and it might actually appeal to folks like us that enjoy country blues in and of itself rather than to rock fans with more money than sense.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
If this had a really definitive book and extra material I don't see what the difference would be between it and the Charlie Patton set

Two hundred and fifty dollars.

Other than that, I agree with you.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:19:46 PM »
It appears to have an updated biography by Stephen Lavere and includes a new 1,500-word essay written by Ted Gioia.

I had always hoped Mack McCormick would do a Robert Johnson production. I guess that will never happen....

Offline Spatz

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 02:13:06 AM »
 I'm a sucker for this type of stuff, looks like they want the same market as those who bought the Revenant Records Charley Patton 7 CD box set with the Fahey Book and collection of die-cut labels.

A couple of decades ago, I bought a few "faux" 45rpm vinyl Blues 78s, these are  Herwin replicas by  Skip James, Willie Brown and Son House. I believe there were 5 in total, that were produced by B. Klatzko in the late '60s or '70s. I've been told that they've become somewhat collectible and have sold on ebay for surprising amounts. Maybe the same will happen with the RJ vinyl that's included in this set.

I agree that it would be great if Mack McCormick would release his long awaited writings on RJ.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
Just got the set. First thoughts; are a little too expensive for what you get. Wich is;

The Complete Original Masters (a 23-page booklet and 12 45's)
The Robert Johnson Centennial Collection 2-CD Set
Rarities From The Vaults 2-CD Set
The Life And Music Of Robert Johnson: Can't You Hear The Wind Howl DVD

All products are seperated so not in one package.

The sound on the CD-set is just amazing. On the 45's as well (my first impression is that the CD's sound better).
The 45 have labels with Vocalion, Romeo, Oriole, Conqueror and Perfect. Included on the CD-set is a 3 second snippet of RJ playing a lick just before Traveling Riverside Blues take 2.
In the book (The Complete Original Masters not the CD set) there is a page with 6 photos (not the 2 official ones) purported to be Robert Johnson. 3 of them I've never seen anywhere. The 3 others have been discussed on blues sites. I don't want to scan the page afraid I am of Sony.

On a quick read it says Ike Zinermon (yes, spelled like that) was definitely a major influence. And apparently Robert frequented Tommy McClennan's home. A picture of "Three Forks" where RJ supposely was poisened and a piece of paper where Robert wrote his dying words on is also included. Further there are cliche quotes scattered across the pages from rockstars like Clapton, Santana and Sheryl Crow(?!).

The Complete Original Masters have an classy look and feel and if you are a collector you'll want this but the booklet could be better in my opinion. It's a numbered limited edition set. My copy is high up in the 800.
(wrote this in my best english, thank you)

Offline hortig78rpm

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 04:34:38 AM »
the herwin re-productions are also at 78 rpm, but not of shellack but vinyl material.
they had been produced in a limited number, so they are now collector items ( same happened with the early elvis sun 78`s in the late 6o`s.
price of the herwins is now between $ 5o.-- and $ 1oo.--

regards
mike

Offline Spatz

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 03:26:07 PM »
 Save your money folks. What a cheesy bunch of hype. All of the 78 replicas are poor at best; the track spacing is way wrong leaving a big blank section between the "label" and the recording track. The labels look like they're silk screened into the vinyl rather than a paper label. They could have easily made them look right, but the communication probably got messed up, and no one cared, so typical.

The CDs are fine;nothing to jump up and down about , I still like my vinyl best.

Offline alyoung

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 02:46:08 AM »
Yesterday, I became possibly the last collector in the world to get the two-CD Robert Johnson Centennial collection. As I opened it, a little card fell out. It invited me to "Celebrate Robert Johnson's 100th birthday with Hellhound On My Ale, a new beer by Dogfish Head!"  That's it! Beam me up, Scottie -- I'm outta here.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 03:21:55 AM by alyoung »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal