collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It was in tune when I bought it - Big Dave MacLean, in concert, while retuning his ancient slot head Gibson

Author Topic: Turntable for 33 and 78  (Read 6582 times)

Offline misterjones

Re: Turntable for 33 and 78
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2013, 08:54:56 AM »
Thanks for the post.  I did not buy the turntable for that purpose, but down the road I think I might tinker with that function (for LPs and 78s).

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2013, 09:47:17 PM »
Cactus needles

My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline misterjones

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2013, 07:52:31 AM »
I received the Audio-Technica turntable. The platter is not perfectly even.  Others have noted this issue on the internet.  The platter fluctuates about 1 millimeter (perhaps slightly more).  Anyone know whether this is normal for a modestly priced turntables?  O is it an indication of a defective product?

Offline Papa Pea Vine Patton

• Howdy!
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »
I don't think I'd be pleased with that.  Then again, with a 250 dollar Chinese made turntable, I wouldn't necessarily be surprised.

Perhaps the platter can be re seated in some way.   If it's warped, there ain't nothin' you can do.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2013, 10:35:11 AM »
Play some records on it.  If there's a problem, take appropriate actions.  If there's not, keep it and keep playing records on it.

Offline misterjones

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2013, 10:41:19 AM »
Not sure if it is warped or just not seated on the spindle perfectly straight.  Six of one . . . 

Audio-Technica is sending me another platter, but I don't have high expectations.  I'm not sure that I should (as you - Papa Pea Vine - note).

I posted the issue at an audiophile website to guage their reactions.  Many vinyl geeks there, for sure.  So far, two have indicated I should worry about it.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2013, 12:08:46 PM »
Should or shouldn't? AudioKarma.org is a pretty good site for info. It usually pops up first when I'm looking for answers or info. Here's a piece that appeared last year in the NY Times (nothing implied by the title here,  it just came up when I did the search):

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/technology/personaltech/how-to-enjoy-turntables-without-obsessing-over-them.html?_r=0

Hope the replacement platter resolves the problem. There aren't a lot of perfect choices in this world, unless of course, one has an unlimited budget--and even then...

Offline misterjones

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2013, 01:25:59 PM »
Thanks for the article (I'll give it a read) and noting my error (the two indicated I should NOT worry about it).

The site where I posted in fact is AudioKarma.  Lots going on there.

Tags: turntable 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal