collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Dr. Dominicker, what is your text going to be next Sunday?" "Well brother fowls and sister fowlettes, my text next Sunday will be taken from the Bed of Feathers." "The Bed of Feathers?" "Titled 'If the Rooster Had a Toothache, Would the Hen Pull It?'" - Honeyboy and Sassafras, "The Chicken Sermon" on Cluck Old Hen - A Barnyard Serenade (Old Hat)

Author Topic: When Rev. Robert Wilkins Played the Blues  (Read 710 times)

Offline jasobr

• Howdy!
When Rev. Robert Wilkins Played the Blues
« on: December 01, 2022, 05:17:42 AM »
Today's post in my Talking Guitar online magazine takes a journey back in time to the 1920s, when Rev. Robert Wilkins recorded hard-hitting country blues in Memphis. (The Rolling Stones released a cover version of his "That's No Way to Get Along," retitled "Prodigal Son," on 1968's Beggars Banquet album.) This free-for-all article first appeared as my "Let It Roll! The Essential Blues Sessions" column in Living Blues #269. I've embedded lots of musical samples, and I hope you enjoy it!

https://jasobrecht.substack.com/p/when-rev-robert-wilkins-played-the

Offline rein

Re: When Rev. Robert Wilkins Played the Blues
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 12:24:06 PM »
I love Robert Wilkins music and I l enjoyed this post, but what I missed is that Rev, John Wilkins sadly died of Covid in october 2020.

Offline MarkC

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 02:08:35 PM »
Thanks for this Jas. I always enjoy reading your work. 

The Rolling Stones cover of “Prodigal Son” (along with their version of Robert Johnson’s  “Love in Vain”) first sparked my interest in country blues, well before I knew what country blues were. I’ve known Wilkins’ original “That’s No Way to Get Along” for many years, but I first heard Wilkins’ 1964 version just a couple of years ago. The 1964 recordings were reissued on the Bear label. Here’s “Prodigal Son” from that album, in case anyone missed the link in your article. It really shouldn’t be missed:

Offline jasobr

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 02:45:31 PM »
I love Robert Wilkins music and I l enjoyed this post, but what I missed is that Rev, John Wilkins sadly died of Covid in october 2020.

Rein -- Thank you for the heads-up! I've rewritten the ending to reflect this info.

Offline MarkC

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 04:32:46 PM »
I just listened to the live 1964 version of Prodigal Son at Newport. That is great.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 02:59:48 AM »
Thanks Jas. A fascinating read as usual.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Devils Son Inlaw

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 09:24:18 PM »
I love Robert Wilkins! Two of my very favorite tunes are "I'll go with her" and "Jailhouse Blues".

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 07:44:45 PM »
is there a whole biography/book about Robert? He deserves one.
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline JoeCigueno

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 10:59:19 AM »
Thanks for linking to this article on Robert Wilkins.  I wish we had video of him, as we do for others from the revival like Gary Davis, Mance Lipscomb, Lightnin' Hopkins, John Hurt, etc.  Below is a video of a concert in Memphis where he performed, but they included only one performance. What's there is appears about 23 minutes into it. If anyone knows of other video of the Reverend, please let me know.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 07:46:02 AM by JoeCigueno »

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 04:50:05 AM »
Thanks for posting this film, Joe Cigueno. I had never seen any footage of Wilkins before. I agree with the other posters. Robert Wilkins is one of the very best, especially those early recordings. So much variety in his songs.

What an experience it must have been to attend these old festivals. I know some Weenie members got to watch these guys play.

Cheers!

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 10:23:46 AM »
A few years ago when collector Don Kent died, someone who attended the memorial posted on Facebook a beautiful clip of Wilkins playing "Do Lord Remember Me" that looked to me like it was from Newport – the clip had been playing somewhere at the service. That person took the video down very quickly – I'm assuming they were asked to or realized they weren't supposed to play it.

So there's definitely some footage out there; hopefully we'll get to see it some time.
Chris

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal