Country Blues > Country Blues Lyrics

Louie Lasky Lyrics

<< < (2/2)

Johnm:
Thanks for the help, Blues Vintage. In the first verse, "reverie" would make more sense, but "repartee" matches his sound really well--good hearing! I think he sings "she FELL forever on my mind" in both verses. In verse, where most people would be "bothered", I think he sings "by me all the time". I will make changes. Thanks!

Johnm:
Hi all,
Louie Lasky recorded "How You Want Your Rollin' Done", accompanying himself with a flat pick in G position standard tuning at the same April 2, 1935 session at which he recorded "Caroline" and "Teasing' Brown Blues". Somewhat surprisingly, he never solos all the way through the form, but instead chooses to do a vocal feature with exciting fills for the full length of his rendition. He had recorded "How You Want Your Rollin' Done" at a session a month prior, but that version was never released. Big Bill Broonzy had recorded essentially the same song, with the same accompaniment in 1930 and again in 1932, and had moreover used the very same accompaniment for "Mistreatin' Mama Blues" in 1932. Here is Loouie Lasky's version of "How You Want Your Rollin' Done":

INTRO

Ahh, tell me, mama, just how you want your rollin' done
Now tell me, baby, just how you want your rollin' done
And just as long as you like it, if it takes the whole night long

My gal got teeth like the lighthouse on the sea
I mean, baby, like the lighthouse upon the sea
And every time she smiles, she throws her lovin' light on me

My rider's got something, and I don't know just what it is
My rider's got something and I don't know, just what it is
And every time she wiggles and wobbles, Papa can't keep his black self still

Lord, I'm wild about her jelly, she put me in the alley, 'cause my gal's name is Sally, and I know she's got good jelly
Tell me, just how you want that rollin' done
And just as long as you like it, if it takes the whole night long

Oh I can get religion, baby, most any day
I mean, hey, 'most any day
But the dice and these women, I swear they won't let me pray

Lord, if you steal my rider, I won't get mad with you
You steal my rider, I won't get mad with you
'Cause she's three times seven, and she knows just 'xactly what to do

CODA

All best,
Johnm

Blues Vintage:
Almost the same lyrics as the Jazz Gillum version (Tell Me Mama) that I did 'bout a month ago.

banjochris:

--- Quote from: Johnm on July 04, 2022, 11:53:35 AM ---Big Bill Broonzy had recorded essentially the same song, with the same accompaniment in 1930 and again in 1932, and had moreover used the very same accompaniment for "Mistreatin' Mama Blues" in 1932.

--- End quote ---

Not quite the same – "Mistreatin' Mama" is in C.
Chris

Johnm:
Thanks, Chris--that's what I get for not re-listening to the Broonzy track!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version