collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
One Fourth of July, they were having a festival in downtown Memphis, with five or six stages and Charlie (Feathers) was playing on the rockabilly stage. I'm sitting there watching him and I turn around and there's this guy sitting behind me, all dressed up, smoking a cigar. Do you know who it was? It was Roosevelt Sykes, the Honeydripper! Just sittin' there, diggin' Charlie! - Kim Wood

Author Topic: Erwin Helfer - Blues Piano  (Read 699 times)

Offline Old Man Ned

Erwin Helfer - Blues Piano
« on: March 27, 2022, 01:15:22 PM »
Has anyone come across the book on blues piano by Erwin Helfer. I think it's called 'Blues Piano and How to Play it'. I've looked in the usual places and on his record label, Siren records but can't see it anywhere.
All the best,
Ned

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Erwin Helfer - Blues Piano
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 11:30:03 PM »
Hi Ned:

I checked WorldCat and this came up:

https://www.worldcat.org/title/blues-piano-and-how-to-play-it/oclc/30412092

It looks like it's his M.A. thesis at Northeastern Illinois University. I looked through the list that came up when I searched using his name and didn't see anything that might be a book based on his thesis. Perhaps you could contact him and ask if he can make you a copy.

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 08:40:42 AM »
Thanks Stuart, I heard from Erwin at the start of this year and he mentioned the book then. I was under the impression that it was a published book. I'll get back in touch as you suggest. Thanks for your help.
All the Best,
Ned

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 02:56:48 PM »
You can purchase the book right here (The Sirens Records);

https://www.thesirensrecords.com/products/erwin-helfer-blues-piano-and-how-to-play-it-SR4001desc.html

Posted by Down Beat on march 29; 'Erwin Helfer Resurfaces with New CD, Instructional Book'

https://downbeat.com/news/detail/erwin-helfer-resurfaces-with-new-cd-instructional-book

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 01:08:15 PM »
Thanks Blues Vintage, that's great. Just ordered a copy.
All the Best,
Ned

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 03:12:33 PM »
Thank you, Blues Vintage. I'm not a piano player, but his long life in music is very interesting. It was upsetting to read in the Downbeat piece about how covid, the lock down and isolation affected him so adversely. I'm glad that he has recovered and is getting back to his pre-lock down routine. Significant human interaction is very important and very necessary. He has a lot to offer.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 04:45:44 AM »
Being a blues piano aficionado, I ordered the book too.
Price; 20 dollars (including shipping and handling to Europe) if you pay with PayPal.
Quite a steal if you ask me, although I haven't read the book yet, I'll bet it's worth every penny.

It seems like it's the only place to buy this book. I wonder if the Sirens record company brings it to the likes of Amazon or something. I think they can sell a lot more copies.
Well, while typing that I think it's better to keep this document exclusive for the dyed-in-the-wool blues community.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 10:27:41 AM »
I read the "About" page at The Sirens Records site and found it quite interesting--and I can understand why Steven Dolins has chosen to keep its operations limited.

https://www.thesirensrecords.com/AboutUs.html

Tags: Erwin Helfer 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal