collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If I made records for my own pleasure, I would only record Charlie Patton songs - Charlie Patton, honored by Bob Dylan

Author Topic: Lightnin' Hopkins  (Read 6037 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: lightnin hopkins
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 12:58:19 PM »
Thanks for the info BH (as usual!) re: the Brownie and Sonny WP CD. It appears that the original CD set is out-of-print stateside, but there are used copies available for around $10 via the usual sources.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 01:45:25 PM »
Thanks for the info BH (as usual!) re: the Brownie and Sonny WP CD. It appears that the original CD set is out-of-print stateside, but there are used copies available for around $10 via the usual sources.
This "twofer" is well worth owning. The first track of the "Summit" session is a wonderful musical "badinage" between BMcG and Lightnin' Hopkins concerning BM's 1950s 78 "A Letter To Lightnin' Hopkins" (from memory a rework of Fuller's Jivin' Big Bill Blues) in which LH hilariously finally get's to respond to McGhee's recording.

Guitdolin

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 09:32:17 PM »
eMusic.com has MANY of Lightnin's albums.  At least one is credited to an artist named "Lightning Hopkins", so that will show up on a different artist page.  The album cover actually printed it that way.  You may prefer to buy them elsewhere to get the covers and notes, but if you are looking for a selection of his albums along with 30-second song samples of each song, it's a good resource.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal