collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
How can he start to sing a song without knowing what he was going to do in advance? - Bill Monroe mystified by Roscoe Holcomb's modus operandi, notes to Mountain Music of Kentucky

Author Topic: washboard vest  (Read 2700 times)

flakey foont

washboard vest
« on: July 08, 2007, 02:47:19 AM »
i just saw this splendid 1968 documentary "the blues accordin' to lightnin' hopkins" by les blank (if you haven't seen it, i highly recommend it. i don't really listen to lightnin' that much, but the film is beautiful). there was a scene with lightnin' playing on a barbecue and he was accompanied by something i've never seen before: a guy wearing a rippled metal vest covering his full torso, he was playing some awesome rhythms on it. like a vest, it was wrapped around his body, so it never gets in the way. is that often seen? i'd really like to get my hands on one of these, but don't know the name. it could also be possible to build one myself, but i should know about what type of metal to use, what gets you the nicest sound. thanks in advance

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: washboard vest
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 07:15:23 AM »
Sounds like a rub board or frottoir, used often in zydeco music. Googling will give you many results for images and construction material (galvanized metal).

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 07:30:03 AM »
Not sure where you are located but elderly has a couple of models - plus a rubboard tie.

http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=zydeco&x=0&y=0

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 05:27:39 PM »
Not sure where you are located but elderly has a couple of models - plus a rubboard tie.

http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=zydeco&x=0&y=0

A rub-board tie!!!

Now that's useful!

Tags: washboard 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal