collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well, he may be old, but he sure will make you whine. - Jimmy Lee Williams, What Makes Grandpa Love Grandma So

Author Topic: To Schtick Or Not To Schtick...  (Read 9026 times)

Offline Mike Brosnan

Re: To Schtick Or Not To Schtick...
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2010, 05:11:28 PM »
First off... Thanks again for more great feedback y'all.  Plenty to chew on here...
At the risk of highjacking a thread I started... Just wanted to give a quick update on this monthly "gig" I've been referring to.  All went well last month.  Tonight was the night for January.  I was just sitting here practicing the set list, getting excited about bringing the 12 string out for the first time...  Then the bass player calls and tells me the "gig" is canceled.  This place has only been doing live music for a couple months and apparently BMI/ASCAP just now caught up with them.  When they saw the royalty fees they were about to get hit with, they just decided to cancel all live music from now on.  So much for public domain....  Sigh...

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2010, 06:25:44 AM »
Sorry to hear that. Tolstoy's opening to "Anna Karenin," where he states that all happy families are more or less alike and all unhappy families are different, he's referring to a similar situation: success in an endeavor requires all kinds of things to be right (including degree of schtick), while failure only needs one little thing to be wrong (the music industry, in this case).

Lyle

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2010, 07:21:16 PM »
First off... Thanks again for more great feedback y'all.  Plenty to chew on here...
At the risk of highjacking a thread I started... Just wanted to give a quick update on this monthly "gig" I've been referring to.  All went well last month.  Tonight was the night for January.  I was just sitting here practicing the set list, getting excited about bringing the 12 string out for the first time...  Then the bass player calls and tells me the "gig" is canceled.  This place has only been doing live music for a couple months and apparently BMI/ASCAP just now caught up with them.  When they saw the royalty fees they were about to get hit with, they just decided to cancel all live music from now on.  So much for public domain....  Sigh...

Oh yeah, those lawyers are really helping musicians out. . .  Makes me glad no one can understand what I'm singing so I can't get sued.
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

Offline Chun

• Howdy!
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2010, 08:40:38 PM »
Just wear a suit and a proper tie.
Purchased at Sears.
Essentially that's what they're wearing in all those old photos. Modern clothes for the time.
That's my opinion and that's what I do.

Otherwise...it gets really kooky. Mine as well black face while your at it if you're going the other route.

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2010, 09:36:19 AM »
A few weeks ago, I saw the Carolina Chocolate Drops performing before a full house in an auditorium in Rochester, MN. I got the impression that most in the audience had not heard them before, although they'd spent almost a week giving free performances in libraries and schools around the Southeastern Minnesota area.

They wore street clothes, so costume was not part of the entertainment. They were selling the songs rather than themselves. I thought they'd loosened up some since the last time I saw them (about 2 years ago), which improved their rapport with the audience. Dom Flemons, particularly, has developed some Uncle Dave Macon moves that add liveliness without distracting from the music. He also dances and plays the bones at the same time.

Their program was eclectic, but did not bastardize the styles they were presenting. They were able to entertain and enlighten a general audience without alienating a traditional-music snob like me. Now that's a schtick worth copying.

Lyle

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal