collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I was playing with steel picks on a steel guitar, and there was no amplification needed - Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: The Girl I Love...  (Read 26884 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: The Girl I Love...
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 02:17:37 PM »
Welcome samjessin! Nice mando playing. It's fine if you block Frankie.  ;D  Especially if it means we get to see more of these...

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 04:39:05 PM »
My fretting hand?  On the two SJE numbers it's like this:  E - E - E - E - E - sometimes A - sometimes something B-like.  Nuthin' to it.  Our cameramanship (izzat a word?) & ability to edit is effectively nil, but I suppose we can try to be more aware of strategic fretting hand placement in the future.  And strategic fiddler placement, too.  She moves around a lot, though.  We might be able to recruit a friend of mine who's much more video-savvy than any of us are, so there might be hope for higher production values some time in the future - no place to go but up...

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 05:36:55 PM »
Hi Frank,
I don't usually go to youtube because I'm on dial-up, but I got so darn curious I took a look.  About thirty repeats got me through the first pass and the first verse.  You guys sound great, and congratulations to Kim and Sam(?), as well.  It's a treat to hear a group play time so well.  One of the things I like about the way that the sound turned out is that the combination of the three instruments' timbres made it sound like to me that at various times you had a banjo and dobro playing there as well.  I don't know if anyone else has had that experience, but it's fun when you hear instruments that are not being played.  Your singing sounds good, too, and I think the filming is fine for the purpose.  As for seeing your left hand, crap, people are supposed to be figuring out this stuff by ear, what do they need to see your hands for?
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:34:06 PM by Johnm »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 06:58:53 PM »
John, as somebody who only recently (since last December) got off a dial-up, I feel your pain and totally appreciate the tenacity and patience required to download even the first minute or so of a youtube video under those conditions.  Thanks for taking the time to listen & comment.

As for the comments about the left hand & camera angles...  I love you man!

ps:  if you're thinking about getting a faster connection, see if you can get verizon fios - you can bundle it up with your phone and it won't cost you so much.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 09:07:47 PM »
I think we should have a whip round to get broadband for Johnm. At least pay the installation, he can do the monthly bill!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 01:40:52 AM »
I wasn't THAT bothered about seeing the left hand.  It's just that when watching someone perform I like to see the whole picture.  Just a habit I guess.

Don't get too high-tech, Frankie, as it might lose that lovely downhome feel.  Before you know it, you'll all be in gold lam? suits and you'll be playing one of those spiky heavy metal electric guitars....  :)

Seriously though, the positive comments from all the Weenies here reflect how much we appreciate and enjoy your great performances.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 05:12:29 AM »
Right, I don't think either PP or I need to see your left hand to figure out an E or any other chord for that matter.  We are talking about aspects of performance and how to make an enjoyable performance even more enjoyable.  This is more apparent if you view all the videos.

I don't know about you, but when I go see a a piano concert I always sit stage left in order to watch the pianists hands - it increases my appreciation for their musicianship, it connects me with the music.  With mandolin and fiddle fretting hands so up front and prominent, it feels like yours is "missing in action".

I'll be more blunt about the other aspect, since I know your head can be a little thick at times.  :D  What PP was tip-toeing around but means in the most flattering way, is that Kim has a lot of natural sex appeal.  Any young attractive woman, with long hair partly tied up, playing a fiddle is going to be sexy - but you combine that with this funky, other worldly blues from the 30's and we say Wow.

I know you didn't think about "production" when you shot, but you did not post a still picture with an audio backing track either.  There is much to like -- exactly how you shot it.  Being close, crammed into the frame, Sam reaching to turn the machine on and off, you gently chiding Kim to wait for your count, playing without affect - all give it a very warm intimate down home feel.  So I agree with PP 100%, don't lose that feel - but try two things:  put Kim on the left so we can see her face and position yourself (or your guitar neck) so we can see your fretting hand.   8)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:14:03 AM by Slack »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 07:35:35 AM »
What is this, MTV?

(Kim, don't do it, look what's happened to Britney...)

They're sitting around playing music in the kitchen, fer god's sake.  :P

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 07:46:34 AM »
This is youtube and we want quality down home videos.  :P

The thing is -- you can use them for demos to get gigs.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »
one of those spiky heavy metal electric guitars....  :)

Ooooo...   >:D >:D

Seriously though, the positive comments from all the Weenies here reflect how much we appreciate and enjoy your great performances.

I'm glad - thanks!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »
I'll be more blunt about the other aspect, since I know your head can be a little thick at times.  :D  What PP was tip-toeing around but means in the most flattering way, is that Kim has a lot of natural sex appeal.  Any young attractive woman, with long hair partly tied up, playing a fiddle is going to be sexy - but you combine that with this funky, other worldly blues from the 30's and we say Wow.

Classic!  Kim read this over my shoulder and laughed out loud like Gus Cannon.  Really...  I think she was saying something, too, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

We'll probably record some more, I guess - who knows?  If she decides she doesn't want to, there ain't no way *I'll* be able to convince her otherwise...  when we do, we'll play around with how we're sitting.  This was just a natural extension of how we arrange ourselves when we're on the street, plus trying to fit in the frame - really!

Here's something that cracks Kim up - watch the first 3 seconds "Too Long" when she starts off the tune without us, but watch my eyebrows.  Then run the cursor back and watch it again...  repeat three or four times.  I love video...

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »
Here's something that cracks Kim up - watch the first 3 seconds "Too Long" when she starts off the tune without us, but watch my eyebrows.  Then run the cursor back and watch it again...  repeat three or four times.  I love video...

Yes, that's the 'chiding moment' that I referred too - it's a very charming moment.  You don't see eyebrow meta communication like that too often.  ;D

Classic!  Kim read this over my shoulder and laughed out loud like Gus Cannon.  Really...  I think she was saying something, too, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Was she laughing at your thick headed-ness? or may flattery? We'll never know...   :)

Well, I hope I flattered Kim enough to encourage her, and all of you to do more videos - they were really great.

Cheers,

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 09:05:09 PM »
Another tune - in the living room, for a change of venue, but it's just kim and me:

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 09:15:19 PM »
Cool!  For a freebie recorder, both the video and sound quality are surprisingly good!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 12:48:02 AM »
Nice!  A great way to start my working day, especially as I have a potentially stressful one.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal