collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Some folks say the Big Bill Blues ain't bad. Musn't have been the Big Bill Blues I had - Big Bill Broonzy, Big Bill Blues

Author Topic: Class of 2010!  (Read 2087 times)

Offline colm kill paul

Class of 2010!
« on: February 06, 2011, 03:27:16 AM »
Hi Folks,

I recorded 4 tunes yesterday with the common theme that I learnt them from John Miller. The first three tunes are from John's EBA Class Last summer:
1. Have you ever seen peaches - Jimmy Lee Williams
2. Mellow peaches - Robert Burnside
3. Last kind words - Geeshie Wiley

The fourth tune is "the" John Hurt tune "Avalon Blues" which I learnt from John Millers DVD and is added just because I felt the need! (My 2011 remix!)

EBA-ers who know me will attest that I am strictly from the beginners ranks so there is a lot of room for improvement. However, I have  really enjoyed getting them to this stage so hopefully they will be "interesting" to folk here. Quick thank you to John for introducing me to these tunes and framing them in a way that I could grasp.

The tunes are up on Soundclick.com. The link below will hopefully take your there. (It new territory for me! Myspace has bug preventing uploading on my account!!)

Final thought; Perhaps some 2010 EBA class mates might like to post some tunes from the class?

Thanks

Colm
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1145423

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Class of 2010!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 03:59:12 AM »
Wish I was a "beginner"!

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:30:11 AM »
"Wish I was a "beginner"!"

This!- You're no longer a beginner Colm :)

The Burnside riff is a great one- I've shied away from working on the song though, because I don't think I could carry the vocal.  Its really impressive that you DO carry the vocal.  In fact in these 4 songs, the vocals really stand out.  I wish I could sing like that.

I'd say that, with the Burnside riff, the thing(s) to work on are (1) really trying to push the thumb through and get a big thump (with some heel of the hand damping) to get the driving sound, and maybe start bringing in a bit more bend on the third string 3rd fret, and 2nd string 1st fret notes at towards the end of the riff.  Get it grungy.  That might just be my personal taste though...

Ive been working on Last Kind Words on and off since last summer.  I find it really tough to get the vocal out whilst keeping the guitar going so congratulations on the excellent vocal on it.  I like the precise picking and the little flourish you've put in on the tag section. 

Have you ever seen peaches is wonderfully smooth and accomplished guitar playing.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:35:39 AM »
Hi Colm,
Thanks for posting the link to your performances of the tunes we worked on last summer at EBA Bluesweek.  First, let me congratulate you on your industry--I know that you don't get the kind of flow you have in those versions and the smooth integration of guitar and voice by sitting around watching TV.  You've been working, and it shows in the best sort of way.  I feel like you're growing in your singing and playing; a deeper sound to your singing and digging in a bit more on the guitar, it's all to the good.  Well done!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »
Great work all around!  Nice to hear a Jimmy Lee Williams cover!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »
Nice to hear a Jimmy Lee Williams cover!

I'll second that. Real nice job.

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 12:31:46 AM »
Excellent playing and singing Colm.  I think you have left the 'beginner' tag a long ways behind you now !!

Keep it up !!

Steve

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 01:31:09 AM »
I am going right off you Colm !.... putting the rest of the class to shame like this.  :D

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 08:44:09 AM »
Nice work. I think I want to be a beginner too. I enjoyed those a lot while working. You have a nice natural feel and talent.

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 11:10:47 AM »
Folks,

I really appreciate the positive feed back. Thank you for taking the time to do that. It is really encouraging. Feels like I've graduated onto the next rung of the ladder. :D

Colm

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:50:10 AM »
http://bit.ly/colmMcCin

I recently heard some professional folk musicans explaining that when they are recording they aim to "leave a little bark on the tree"! This is a clip the sound engineer from my session sent on today of my recording on Mellow Peaches by RL Burnside. I think you'll agree I got the bark aspect down. The note on You Tube page explains all.... ;) (fyi : Click on the down arrow button on right to read)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 01:00:58 PM »
I'm with Harvey!

It's no wonder you couldn't make it to our thing in April, I'll bet you've got booking all over the place and for playing as well  ;)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Gerry Clarke

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 07:13:48 AM »
Hi Colm,

Got a chance to hear these recordings today.  The recording quality is excellent.  In my view, you have made what can only be described as remarkable progress during the very short time you have been playing this type of music.  Very solid playing and your singing is great.  So often the vocal is an area of dissapointment but not so in your case.  Terrific job and keep them coming!

Best Regards,

Gerry

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 04:47:03 AM »
Richard,

The only bookings I get come with 3 penalty points...Euroweeenie is just a little too far from base camp.

Gerry,

Really encouraging feed back. It will help me to keep on practicing.

Lads thank for these kind words.

colm

Offline joe paul

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 01:23:10 AM »
Hey Colm,

Thanks, not much I can add to the praise going around except I really enjoyed listening to these tunes. Good work.
A problem I need to deal with is not always sticking with songs long enough to really own them - figure of speech, you know what I mean - but it sounds like you've put the time in, especially getting the singing to flow well.
Anyway, let's see if I can get that Snooks Eaglin number in shape, his Trouble In Mind, carry on the class of 2010 theme...

Cheers,

Gordon 

Tags: John Miller 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal