collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well I would holler murder, but I was born to die - William Do-Boy Diamond, The Shaggy Hound

Author Topic: Suzy Thompson's CD release at Freight  (Read 2294 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Suzy Thompson's CD release at Freight
« on: February 03, 2005, 10:46:44 PM »
Thought I'd put this out there for Cleoma. All you bay area Weenies, Suzy is having a CD release concert at the Freight and Salvage in Berkeley on Saturday the 26th. Her husband Eric and Del Rey and lots of other talented folks will be joining her.. Here's a link to the Freight page about it. The new CD, Stop and Listen, is all blues and was recorded live at the Freight last summer with the same folks and more. It was a great performance by Suzy and all her cohorts.
I'm thinkin' I and a few others could get on line early and hold a bunch of seats in the second and third rows. That's what I usually do anyway. How many folks think they'll make it? I don't wanna hear any excuses.<G>
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Emma Lee

Re: Suzy Thompson's CD release at Freight
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 02:24:22 PM »
That sounds great - wish I was in the Bay Area! Be sure to drink a glass for those of us who can't make it. But hey, will the new CD be up on the Weenie Juke to request and/or buy?

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 06:00:26 PM »
Thank you John for posting about my gig, so nice not to have to do that myself!  Del Rey will be with me for that, also my husband Eric, Larry Hanks who is one of the world's most reknowned jews harpists (no foolin'!) and Thompson String Ticklers which is my hillbilly blues string band with cello, 2 guitars, banjo-uke (looks like a tiny banjo, plays like uke) and mando.  I think there will be a few other special guests too.  It should be a fun night.

The CD is "officially" released on Feb. 22.  For those who just can't wait, send me an email (Cleoma@aol.com) and I'll let you know how to get one directly from me. 

For any of you in NYC, see my posting about an upcoming concert I'll be doing there in March.
Best,
Suzy
P.S.  Thanks Emma and everyone else for all the great suggestions for material to teach at Blues Week, it is just great to be able to respond to specific requests like that.  Keep 'em coming!!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 11:09:46 PM »
So, anyone gonna make it to the Freight? Thumbstyle, Cyotegulch? Times gettin' short. I imagine Ron Phillips will be there. And Marc Silber. And I'm guessin' one of those special guests Cleoma mentioned will have the same initials as Memphis Minnie.
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Flatd7

• Pre War Blues, Country, Bluegrass & Gospel Music
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 05:37:19 AM »
Wow, looks like a great album. (I'll be emailing you!). Sorry I can't make the west coast show, but I'm looking forward to seeing you at Merkin Hall. I've had my tickets for months. I'm looking forward to it.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 09:59:45 PM »
Man this girl can sing! And she do pull some bow, too. And her Peg Leg Howell inspired version of In The Pines accompanied only by her own fingerpicked? Gibson and Ben Sigelman on cello was just as rich.

As on the CD, the accompaniment ran from Suzy solo on fiddle for her great take on Stop and Listen; to cello based trios, with Del, or Bill Evans on banjo, or Eric on mando; to some three guitars and a bass (I mean cello) stuff, Del and Eric goin' toe to toe, tradung licks fingers verses flat pick (and I thought they both had hot nights), between Suzy's raucous vocals; on up to the full Thompson's String Ticklers, including bandolin, banjo uke, two guitars, cello, and sometimes Larry Hanks on jew's harp, back Suzy's vocals or ripping fiddle work. For the finale, everyone was up there, including Kate Breslin, who had done some great vocal harmonies and imromptu kazoo.

Many memorable numbers, which Miller and I enjoyed from the second row, with our dates, Claudia and Gre. Eric gettin' some great blues out of a Puerto Rican cuatro. A great take on Patton and Lee's Troubled 'Bout My Mother featuring Suzy's fiddle, Bill's banjo and the Ben sliding bowed notes on the cello. All evening Suzy sang the blues with a voice that was made for it, richness and depth of the classic blues singers, able to go from raunchy to sweet, and always sellin' the song.

Everyone seemed to be really enjoying themselves, most of all Suzy, her smile beaming over her fiddle. Great night.

And I've been listenin' to the CD while writing and highly reccomend it. And if Suzy and the gang are playin' anywhere near you, as posted above, get there. If not, you can get much of the live feeling from the CD.

All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 10:02:50 PM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal