collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Listen!!!" - Sonny Stitt's response to a young pianist backing him who asked what chord substitutions he was using on a well-known jazz standard.

Author Topic: A free 40 minute John Miller video  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
A free 40 minute John Miller video
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:08:52 AM »
I think it deserves to be noted here too, in case not all of you visit the Stefan Grossman Woodshed site, that they have put out a free 40 minutes guitar artistry video download with John Miller both playing and discussing the old country blues players he admires. Some great jazz content there too. Highly recommended!  8)

http://www.guitarvideos.com/000instantaccess.htm

For further instructions, see the original thread:

http://stefangrossmansguitarworkshop.yuku.com/topic/2993/John-Miller-On-Demand

Cheers

Pan

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: A free 40 minute John Miller video
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:42:41 AM »
Thanks for putting this up, Pan. I watched it yesterday - highly recommended.

There's also a Duck Baker freebie that is quite good as well, and which I also highly recommend.

The software can be a little quirky--at least it was on the box I'm using. I had to do an uninstall and then a reinstall to get it to work properly.

Offline eric

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 08:56:48 AM »
John's video will inspire you to grab your guitar and play.  Very cool, and thanks to John for sharing.
--
Eric

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »
The software can be a little quirky--at least it was on the box I'm using. I had to do an uninstall and then a reinstall to get it to work properly.

I'll say. The controls don't appear in full screen mode, it changed my Windows color scheme, Quicktime played the video and audio out of sync so I switched to the alternate player, which worked but then the controls disappear, and the screen disappeared between tracks. Stuart, what problems were you having? I have not uninstalled/reinstalled yet. Using Windows 7.

Too bad, as this is a good promotional idea, but I seriously doubt I would buy anything using this format, given the bugginess so far.

What I've been able to see of John so far is great though!

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »
Hi Andrew:

I'm using XP and the alternate player. The problems that you describe pretty much sum up the problems that I have--and that's after I did the uninstall - reinstall and got it to play the videos. Before that, the videos would not play at all. I kept getting a box with an error message, so I thought it best to start over.

Like you say, it's a good idea, but unfortunately the technology hasn't been perfected to the point where it is ready for prime time. Many of us read the posts at The Woodshed, so we know that some folks have had problems with the software and the downloads. Hopefully, the techs can work out the problems.

John's (as well as Duck's) playing, discussion and insights are great and serve as motivation to persevere in spite of the technical problems.

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 05:15:28 AM »
Thanks for posting this. Downloading the mac version and will try to enjoy John's performance this evening. Can't wait.

P.S. Oops yeah it's having some issues with me right now. Will try to work this out later and report back
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:18:23 AM by LittleBrother »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:44:06 AM »
I really fancied viewing this, but the above-mentioned software problems mean I am disinclined to get involved. I sometimes have to battle with computer technology to do my job, so have no inclination to do so for pleasure. Shame.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline jopoke

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 06:59:24 AM »
I had the pleasure of watching it this weekend.  I did  not have any technical issues thanks goodness.  It is awesome!  It got me to pick up my guitar very quickly.

Thanks, Joe

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 11:10:57 AM »
Hey guys I finally got the software to let me navigate Stefan and Vestapol videos, and even isolate John Miller but I still can't find this video. I saw a couple of free ones here and there but all the JM videos were paid lessons. Which by the way I own some JH lessons and they are some of my very favorite.

I also saw JM lesson on youtube for Curley Weaver's Ticket Agent and almost fell out of my chair. I had no idea it was out there. I spent way too many hours studying that song by ear to get it.

Still remember sitting a needle on a turntable 500 times to steal a lick. We really are spoiled these days.

This software delivery system looks like it should be pretty awesome once they smooth it out.

Offline jopoke

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 12:06:59 PM »
Hey LB,

Click on the "Vetapol" when you pull up the software.  It's located under that section of videos.

Take it easy, Joe

Tags: John Miller 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal