collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Too choppy is a contradiction in terms - Nick Perls on guitar-playing

Author Topic: Eric and Suzy Thompson in Concert in Bellingham, WA  (Read 639 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Eric and Suzy Thompson in Concert in Bellingham, WA
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:48:39 AM »
Hi all,
I had the good fortune to attend a concert by Eric and Suzy Thompson at the Fairhaven branch of the Bellingham library last night.  The show was well attended and it was a special treat to hear the tremendous variety of music the duo offered and the skill with which they sang and played.  I'm hard put to think of another duo that could play convincingly in the course of a concert program Cajun songs, waltzes and two-steps, Country Blues and religious numbers, Apalachian ballads, Old-time fiddle tunes and rags, and tunes from Mexico, Puerto Rico and Greece!  Suzy and Eric are both such strong musicians and are so much themselves that the variety didn't come off as a stunt, or contrived, but rather, as simply a natural expression of their musical identities and passions.  This effect was amplified by their unself-conscious, relaxed, "we are who we are", mode of presentation, which put the audience right at ease and drew you into their music.  With Suzy playing fiddle and guitar and Eric moving between guitar, mandolin and quatro, there was a lot of variety in their instrumental combinations, too.  If you have an opportunity to see them play near you, I'll hope you'll go see them.  Their recent CD, "Dream Shadows", Herringbone Disc ET102, contains many of the tunes they performed, and can be found at their website, www.ericandsuzy.com.
All best,
Johnm

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal