collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Am I afraid of high notes? Of course I am afraid. What sane man is not? - Luciano Pavarotti

Author Topic: Who's Who in the Contemporary Acoustic & Country Blues  (Read 13667 times)

Offline thecountryblues

• You ain't shit unless you can make 'em dance
    • www.thecountryblues.com
Re: Who's Who in the Contemporary Acoustic & Country Blues
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2009, 05:05:46 AM »
I want to thank all those who contributed positive feedback and constructive criticism.
Before we reach a position in Google where the general public can find us, for example when they search by artist, I reached out to the blues community.

Making the documentary available on Podcast should be a positive public service.
I already aired it some years ago, and lately have been burning CDs for libraries and blues-in-the schools projects. Now, the Podcast is easy for anyone to access.
Over the last few days more than 80 people have downloaded the documentary.

Thanks to the blues community, we have also identified numerous musicians worth including, from as far away as Finland and right here in New York.

The next effort is to upload the photo library, which include some beautiful images taken by my wife during the many interviews I had with musicians over the years.

Then, my effort will be to write several full reviews of artists per week until this fleshes out to be an actual directory.

The mission of thecountryblues.com is to establish a directory of artists that play country, acoustic and traditional blues today, to document that this music is alive today in the 21st Century.  Some people have questioned the use of the word "Contemporary" as if it cannot be juxtaposed with "traditional". However, it simply means "happening, existing, living..." according to Websters.

One could argue endlessly about who should and should not be included in such a directory. The usual argument between the strictly purist traditionalists and progressives always ensues. It's part of the scene. Some would argue that only those that repeat the same old blues songs in the same old way should be included. Other would argue that all musical forms change and evolve, and this evolution is to be celebrated. I count myself among the latter. If I offended any purists by including artists they consider beneath them, so it goes. Nobody died. What harm could there be if there are people in a directory you don't approve of.

Ultimately, we should asks ourselves this. If we end up with a web based directory where people can go to one place and read up on just about all the major and minor players in the acoustic blues genre, to see their picture, to hear music samples and so forth, does that help or hurt the blues ?

Personally, I can't imagine how it could hurt.

Please participate in the process and join in the effort. Your constructive help is always appreciated.
FM
(no, not Frequency Modulation- Frank Matheis)

Offline jed

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2009, 12:23:57 AM »
Did someone just call me an old fogey?  Never mind that I asked for it (Where is that lapel anyway)?  Life is way too short. 

As must be evident, Mr. FM, anything that helps move the discussion forward is pretty much fine with me, as long it doesn't get out of hand.  Speaking of which:  As you get to know Yours Truly (which, it appears, is inevitable), I'd be grateful if you might consider using "irreverent" to describe my attitude.  I think it's apt, particularly given the true fireballs of knowledge and experience in whose forum we tread.  But, heck, who am I to judge?  After all, one slip, one flip and we're suddenly "irrelevant!" 

Truth be told, I'm sincerely glad to help - and I'm pleased to see your mission statement online.  I can't wait to see it on your site!  When the smoke clears, I hope you'll find a few of those questions helpful for your venture.  I've found the "mirror of truth" method to be invaluable in many situations (Dead guy Socrates deserves a contemporary nod in that regard - to me, he's very much alive). 

Then again, I've also been accused of fattening frogs for snakes (to which I say, of course, "Fatten while you can!"). 

Anyway, if those questions, well-intentioned and earnest as they are, don't seem to be much help today, feel free to ask (or call) me whatever you like, or to discuss issues pertinent to your site's goals, definitions, factual basis, characterizations, domain names or whatever - offlineLet's do that via IM - not here, where there's good music and good music talk in the air.  I'll give you the clearest answers I can (not just from Wikipedia) - and I'll ask more questions, too. 

Cheers,
Jed

Studs Terkel:  "Take it easy, but take it."
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2009, 06:47:30 AM »
Here is a plug for a good (virtual) friend of mine: David Berchtold....a fine blues fingerpicker

http://www.davidberchtold.com/

BTW...I think your web page is excellent...a great venue for anyone to discover TONS of new artists...I know its hard to be as inclusive...or exclusive...as everyone wants...but its your website and you are promoting artists that need all the help they can get...I say "More power to you!"

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2009, 07:38:15 AM »
Whether or not the emphasis is on country blues, or acoustic blues in general (boy, what a huge topic!), I think the list should include Allan Jones (U.K.)(A.K.A. "Professor Scratchy") and his sometime playing partner "Snakehips". I realize that I know some great musicians only by their nicknames on the forum, so sadly I won't be able to recommend them all.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProfScratchy

Cheers

Pan

Offline LeftyStrat

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
I'd like to recommend for inclusion a gentleman I've seen through a few videos on Youtube by the name of Homesick Mac.

You can check him out at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/HomesickMac

and/or

http://www.homesickmac.com/

A very excellent performer of the blues we all know and love, IMO
Stop by and give a listen! :)

http://www.facebook.com/leftystratblues

Offline Gingergeezer

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2009, 07:23:51 AM »
Firstly, thanks for including us (Lee Bates and Billy Newton). Secondly, I know some of these have  been mentioned previously, but you really shoud have:

The Hokum Hotshots
Ray Stubbs Amazing One Man Blues Band
Simon Prager
Rob Mason
Gordon Smith
Gypsy Bill Williams and Del

All from the UK.

Offline Kid Wardell

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2009, 08:16:18 AM »
Hi
Look out for Dave Arcari from Scotland. Also, look for me - Dick Wardell (also known as Kid or Kid Ledraw -backwards, see). REcorded several albums over the years - Standing by thre Mororway (1990) , Street Life Blues (Fellside 1997 -available via Amazon), Peaches (Blues Underground 2001) All the above can be obtained from me - dick.wardell@btinternet.com.
New album due out next month, not sure yet about distribution etc, possibly via the web. Keep in contact and I'll let you know - it's to be titled 'Screamin and Dreamin' and features 20 numbers by me, Fuller, Robt Johnson, Jefferson. Tampa Red, leadbelly etc. REcorded flat as 1920s/30s to capture the right acoustic sound Using Brook acoustic + several original National guitars.
Also check out 'www.myspace.com/highsteppinpapas'    where I'm working with my harmonica buddy - Fish Feathers MacTeeth. New 4 track demo also shortly to be released through XBOW promotions.
Good listening
Kid Wardell

Offline CanadianStringPicker

• Howdy!
Modern Country Blues Artists? Recomendations?
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »
I've been listening to the classics for a long time.
Sadly it's a dying art/style of guitar and music these days.

There are some still keeping the flame alive but I'm having trouble finding any more modern artists from the last 5-10 years that have the same appeal for me as say, Charley Patton, Blind Willie Johnson, John Hurt, Furry Lewis etc

The only newer artists I've ever come across to catch my ear/preference have been Precious Bryant (wish she had recorded more stuff) and some of the slower songs from The Reverend Peytons Big Damn Band.

Anyone have any recomendations for me for great newer artists playing in the old country blues style with new material? I'm sure they're out there I just need some tips  :D
It takes booze and blues, Lord, to carry me through.

Offline jrn

Re: Modern Country Blues Artists? Recomendations?
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »
Interesting subject! I've never paid too much attention to any contemporary artists of any genre really. Particularly with country blues. Just never had any of them quite grab me like the pre-war guys.

There's one guy though that has really grabbed my attention! He goes by Frankie12string, and he's a member here. I think his version of River Line Blues kills the original. Chaineys Gone is another one. Check out his youtube videos.

There's plenty of amazing guys right here on this forum. Check out the back porch and the performance corner.
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2013, 03:42:59 PM »
Hi guys.

Using the search function  ;) on top of the page i came up with these threads:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=5222.msg40222#msg40222

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4415.0

Also see these weblinks provided by the forum:

http://weeniecampbell.com/wiki/index.php?title=WebLinks#Artist_Websites

Cheers

Pan

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:44:44 PM by Pan »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2013, 04:13:21 PM »
Thanks Pan. If you're new round here, do consider using the search function or Tags. There is a lot of info to be dug up that way.

Offline harriet

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2013, 05:01:13 PM »
Erin Harpe, Mamie Minch and Lon Eldridge are three that come to mind.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2013, 06:58:59 PM »
If you don't mind your jugband music provider bending the genre rules and swinging it a little bit, well actually quite a lot, on a Friday 13th night I'm likely to be very partial to Pokey La Farge & The South City Three, and Jessy Carolina & The Hot Mess. You can find a lot of their stuff on youtube and elsewhere. It may not be agricultural but it sure is fun.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:06:56 PM by Rivers »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2013, 11:03:22 AM »
Talking about larger groups and jug bands, I think Sausage Grinder, featuring our own Chris Berry, is well worth mentioning.  :)

http://www.folkworks.org/columns/old-time-oracle-david-bragger/41939-sausage-grinder-the-folkworks-concert-videos

Cheers

Pan

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
Re: Acoustic Blues Recording Artists?
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2014, 11:12:30 AM »
..my personal favorite for the old time styles performed w/ a high degree of musicianship and accuracy to the style is Ari Eisinger  .. I'm sure others will add to this..
Yep, my favorite as well, I reckon he's a genius and his choice of music and songs he chooses to play means he has sublime taste. There are many here at Weenie who are great players like Daddy Stovepipe for instance and I just love Tom Feldman's work, I could go on and on but for me Ari is the greatest around.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal