collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Man, if you gotta ask you'll never know - Louis Armstrong, upon being asked to define 'jazz'

Author Topic: M & O Blues - Duet  (Read 4271 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: M & O Blues - Duet
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 06:23:05 AM »
That's really beginning to smoke!  The guitars mesh really well now, and the vocal is sounding really good.  Nice singing!

Jeff in Montana

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 08:43:16 AM »
Hey, just one more quick thanks!  I just had a blast playing along with you guys this morning on my Martin OM-15.  I had learned this from Stefan's Delta Blues 3CD/ Book package.  The break in the middle works out great because if I lost my spot I could get it back into it quick enough at that point.  I'm thinking you guys starting speeding up a bit at the end, though - I know it couldn't be me slowing down!   :P

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 12:18:16 PM »
Sounding great guys, real tight sound between the guitars. Makes me want to play guitar.

Offline poozmeister

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 12:43:48 PM »
Hey John - kidding about the "why didn't you tell me?".  Reading between the lines it actually means "Damn - why didn't I listen to John earlier?"  My soundcard has behaved very badly for the last year or more.  So it's been a pain to listen to anything or record on the computer for some time.  Consequently, I've stayed away from all listening rooms.  All of which is changing soon.  My soundcard suddenly now lets me hear up to 5 songs before turning to all static (up from a half song) - but I ordered a replacement anyway... so now I'm listening to music on the computer again, and will try my hand at uploading soon.

I've been working on a duet arrangement of Van Ronk's rendition of "That'll Never Happen No More".  I play the G song  capoed at 5, which puts me in C.  Now I think I have a non-capoed C part sounding pretty good.  I have to record one to try them together and see if they mesh, or where they clash.  May be a month or so before that one makes the Back Porch.  A solo or two will hopefully make it sooner.  Looking forward to checking out more of the songs you guys have recorded. 

Pat D.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 12:40:36 PM »
Well, I enjoyed this the first time round - but the second version takes it a step further, both instrumentally and vocally. Great performance, folks! Love the interplay between the guitars and those gruff and gravelly vocals.
Prof S

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2005, 03:59:21 PM »
Waxwing:
I think we both will agree with these folks:
1.better microphone  placement +/or our location in reference to the mics--> picking up the 2 guitars better. Better ability to hear the 2 parts.Sounds much brighter too.
2. guitar break after 2 verses gives some classic depth and structure to the piece, fixes the pre-war genre of the tune, makes sense, and sounds great.
3. we did speed up a tad at the end, but what the hell, we got into it! (g)
4. your voice sounds really great, in my opinion.
5. the 2 old Stellas sound great together.

We gotta try a couple more duets! I really dig it.

Spoke to Jed t'other day, and he said he'd give a lsten to KCJoe and Minnie's "Joliet Bound", to see if he can hear any  repeated line or structure to the base runs/part Joe plays , or whether it is some/most improvisation. I swear I hear alternating parts. E me the mp3 of that cut, and / or the 2 separated parts and I'll listen some more! 8)

Cheers!
Miller
We could actually work on their "Piledriver Blues", which JMMiller covered a couple summers ago at camp! I probably have that on MD.
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2005, 05:03:25 PM »
Aw, Miller, you gave away our next duet!-G-

Thanks again folks for all the great feedback.

I thought everybody speeds up toward the end, as long as you do it together. -G-

And, Miller, I figured out how to manipulate the pan a little more subtly in Garageband so I was able to boost your part a bit to get a good balance while it was still in stereo. Glad you like it.

Yeah, I've pretty much worked out Minnie's guitar part and am singing it close to speed. Joe's part seems to be all in the bass, so once we get that sorted we can start workin' it. Really, what you were doin' on Friday, sorta goin' in and out of the boogie walk up, sounded good to me. But it would be good to get some other opinions. Anybody?

Now you know we're gonna rush on this one, it's a train for dang sake!

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal