collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I wouldn't play in Bentonia for a hundred dollars a minute - Skip James, from Steven Calt's bio

Author Topic: What type of harps did the lates and greats use.  (Read 13197 times)

Offline iantonionni

• Shw'mae!
    • The Bay Rum Hounds on Bandcamp
Re: What type of harps did the lates and greats use.
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 05:10:27 AM »
Hi,
I would recommend Richard Sleigh's book Turbocharge your Harmonica, it lists methods, tools and various tuning setups. Richard also has excellent videos on his YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/rsleighharp?feature=.
I use Marine Bands mostly, I have a couple of Crossovers, which I prefer to the Marine Band Deluxe, too many sharp edges on the MB deluxe. I also use Seydel Silver. I used to use the Hering Vintage, but the reeds did not last. I rarely blow out reeds, but was regularly blowing out the vintage ones.
I obtained a range of Blue Midnight harmonicas, but was not impressed, they have that leaky feel, like all the other MS series. Also the tuning was not great out of the box, definitely not JI, the chords can sound particularly sour.
Cheers
Anthony

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »
Hi,
I would recommend Richard Sleigh's book Turbocharge your Harmonica...
I would second that recommendation.

Offline Jimmy J

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »
I added harp on a rack to my busking act last year, and it's proved to be a tremendous asset on all levels. Recently, I find I'm getting comfortable enough with harps that I can stretch out a bit with my tin pan alley songs. It's cool to not really know how I'm going to play any particular song, today.

I never really liked Marine Bands. They would swell too quickly on me to become unplayable. So, I started using Special 20's. And I've stayed with them ever since.

One thing that is of importance to me is the harmonica holder itself. The Hohner holders are too big and  bulky for me. I don't have a six-foot frame, alas. So, I find the Dunlop Harp Handle is the best choice to hold my Special 20s.

I recently bought a Hohner Flexrack. It gives me all the ability of the original Hohner rack, but allows me to adjust it to my shorter stature. Also, it allows me to put just about any type of harp, including chromonicas in it. So, I might start exploring with checking out a Suzuki or two. The problem with the Suzukis for me is that they won't find in the Dunlop Harp Handle. One other downside to this new Flexrack is its bulk. But, it may be worth it if I decide to switch to playing Suzukis.
I ukulele, daily.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal