collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going - Prof. Irwin Corey

Author Topic: Walter Jacobs? Little Walter? Walter Vincson Vinson??  (Read 983 times)

Offline Suzy T

• Howdy!
Walter Jacobs? Little Walter? Walter Vincson Vinson??
« on: June 11, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »
What is the story with Little Walter, Walter Jacobs and Walter Vinson (or Vincson)??  Little Walter's given name (according to Wikipedia, not always the most accurate source, I know) was Marion Walter Jacobs and he was born in 1930 or maybe 1925 in or near Marksville LA.  But apparently (according to Wikipedia and also to my old copy of Goodrich Dixon) Walter Vincson recorded sometimes under the name Walter Jacobs, Jacobs apparently being his mother's maiden name. Born 1901 in Bolton MS. 
Reason I'm asking that I've heard that Little Walter was also a good guitar player, anyone know about that?  And there's some sides recorded by Tommy Griffin (which I have not heard) in 1936, with Walter Jacobs (Walter Vincson) playing guitar. 
Are there really 2 Walter Jacobs bluesmen?

Offline bnemerov

Re: Walter Jacobs? Little Walter? Walter Vincson Vinson??
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »
at least two, Suzy
 :)

best,
bruce

Offline oddenda

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 10:12:53 PM »
The most recent Little Walter was a very cromulent guitarist. He recorded on same at the Parkway session with Muddy Waters, and Baby Face Leroy Foster. I was told a vignette by the late Simon Napier (BLUES UNLIMITED founder) and possibly by Bruce Bastin. Walter was doing a gig in Sussex one time and found the backing band totally lacking. He dismissed them, took the guitarist's axe and did the second set thusly. There is also an early Muddy record that I cannot dredge out of my aging brain that had Walter on guitar. Any thoughts, Mr. Young?

pbl

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:36:05 PM »
I seem to remember Little Walter playing guitar on Sail On, Honey Bee and Still a Fool. Might be more but those are the two that come to mind.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 06:00:12 AM »
Marion Walter Jacobs holding his axe

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal