collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Some folks say the Big Bill Blues ain't bad. Musn't have been the Big Bill Blues I had - Big Bill Broonzy, Big Bill Blues

Author Topic: Paul Oliver Bibliography  (Read 1056 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Paul Oliver Bibliography
« on: March 10, 2011, 02:13:22 PM »
If you don't have at least one book by Paul Oliver on your shelf, you're not serious about the blues.

Here's a link to a tribute to Paul published 14 years ago on his 70th birthday.  There are brief tributes by a who's-who of blues scholars and a bibliography of Paul's blues writings.  The man was incredibly prolific.  I think that if you were to make a list of the 10 most important and influential books on the blues, Oliver would be the only person with multiple titles listed.  

(On a personal note, even though I'm interested in architecture, every time I look at a Paul Oliver bibliography I'm a bit sad that he spent so much time writing about that subject.  What I wouldn't give for a few more books as good as Blues Fell This Morning, Screening The Blues, and Songsters And Saints!)    

(Edited to correct mistakes, as a fellow weenie has pointed out to me that while spell check is fine with words, it's not very good at numbers!)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 03:32:53 AM by dj »

Offline oddenda

Re: Paul Oliver Bibliography
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
A man's got to make a living! Vernacular architecture was his main shtick with the blues a side project. Consider that!!

pbl

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Paul Oliver Bibliography
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »
All of Paul's blues records, tapes, books, magazines, interviews, ephemera etc are now housed here:

http://resources.glos.ac.uk/departments/lis/archives/collections/paul-oliver.cfm

In a 2000 Christmas card there was a message which read "I've been working on another book! The Blues The World Forgot". A card in 2008 said "slowly moving on TBTWF" but not heard anything about it since. I feel certain that Oliver has mentioned this in interview but can't recall where.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:53:55 PM by Bunker Hill »

Tags: Paul Oliver Article 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal