collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Negroes all be in there gamblin', you know and they shoot a Negro down... And some of them short guys be standin' around the crap table, the crap table is high, he can't get up there... Pull that dead man up there and stand on him and still keep shootin' dice - Big Bill Broonzy, Blues In the Mississippi Night

Author Topic: Juke Top Ten  (Read 1455 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Juke Top Ten
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:16:09 AM »
I took a look at the Juke's monthly Top Ten requests and thought they were interesting, in that I was pretty unfamiliar with much of the material.

This Months Top 10 Requests
1. Heavenly Gospel Singers
    When Was Jesus Born?
2. Two Gospel Keys
    I Don't Feel At Home
3. Doug Suggs
    Sweet Patootie
4. Irene Scruggs
    My Back To The Wall
5. St Louis Red Mike Bailey
    Chimney Higher
6. John Lee Hooker
    Miss Rosie Mae
7. Whistler And His Jug Band
    Jerry O'Mine
8. Reverend Gary Davis
    West Coast Blues
9. Lightnin' Hopkins
    You Got To Work To Get Your Pay
10. Jabo Williams
    Jab Blues

You can view links to the records these are from on the Juke homepage: http://weeniecampbell.com/juke/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:19:05 AM by uncle bud »

Online Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: Juke Top Ten
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:23:01 AM »
Is it fair to say the the most requested are requested maybe only 2 or 3 times?  In which case I suppose all it needs is one person to have a particulr interest in a song to request it twice.

Interesting to see sweet patootie by doug suggs (whoever he may be) is that song related to Blake's?

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:56:18 AM »
What's interesting to me is that I think of the Juke's audience as a pretty guitar-centric lot, yet two of the Top Ten (the Doug Suggs and Jabo Williams records) are piano solos.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 08:02:26 AM »
Interesting to see sweet patootie by doug suggs (whoever he may be) is that song related to Blake's?

Slim, it's a piano solo, but yes, it does seem to be melodically related to Blibd Blake's Tootie Blues and that whole Sweet Patunia family of tunes.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:09:23 AM »
Slim, yes, the Juke request totals don't have to be big - and were about as small as you can get this month! Depends on who's requesting I guess. Some folks lean on one song for awhile, perhaps they don't have it, it's a deleted record or something. Or they just want to hear Catfish Blues every morning.

Suggs is an obscure one. From the Document notes to Piano Blues Vol 2:

Doug Suggs, who did not record until 1956, came from St. Louis, where he was born in 1894. When he moved to Chicago, he took a job as a porter at The White Sox baseball ground at Comiskey Park on 35th Street. Jimmy Yancey was a groundsman there and they reportedly influenced one another's playing. Though these two titles are Suggs's only recordings, he is said to have been an important influence on younger Chicago pianists.

(The other Suggs recording was Doug's Jump.)

Tags: Doug Suggs 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal