collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Meh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh." "Man, take that goat outta here" - Jelly Roll Morton and His Red Hot Peppers, "Billy Goat Stomp"

Author Topic: Yank Rachell Lyrics  (Read 14686 times)

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
Re: Yank Rachell Lyrics
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »
Like trying to find your house in the fog!

I wonder if Smith says:
"Crazy man, happy for once, can i stay happy"

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2018, 01:01:52 AM »
I think Yank says "he got 'em" instead of "he go now" and I think Dan says "Crazy man have his fun, can't he. I stay happy." And the "he" and "I" are kind of rolled together.
Chris

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2018, 09:51:06 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Gumbo and banjochris.  After re-listening, I think you absolutely nailed it, Chris.  Thanks!  I will make the change.  I like your comparison, Gumbo--I was definitely lost in the fog!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2018, 09:54:36 AM »
Hi all,
Yank Rachell recorded "When You Feel Down And Out" at a session in Aurora, Illinois on June 17, 1938, on which he was joined by Sonny Boy Williamson on harmonica and the mysterious Joe Williams (not Big Joe Williams) on guitar.  Yank played mandolin on the track and Joe Williams was working out of G position in standard tuning.  The rendition is a little unusual in that it concludes with a solo.  Here is the track, with apologies to non-U.S. weenies who may not be able to view the video:

INTRO

Gather around me, people, I want to sing you all some lonesome blues
I said, gather 'round me, people, I want to sing you all some lonesome blues
You know, when you feel mistreated, how your woman done mistreated you, sometimes just like women will do

I know sometimes you feel kind of lonesome, baby, when you be feelin' kind of down and out
I know sometimes you be feelin' kind of lonesome, then you'll be feelin' kind of down and out
But you know, I don't ever feel the worried blues, 'til I get in the neighborhood of my baby's house

I said, I'm gon' call up Central, tell her to, "Give me Butterfly's number, if you please."
I'm gonna call up Central, tell her, "Give me Butterfly's number, if you please."
You know, said, "I'm gonna call up my baby, Lord, and my baby, she won't talk to me."

When you ever kind of feel kind of worried, mama, won't you please come and listen to these blues?
When you kind of feel kind of lonesome, mama, won't you please come and listen to these blues?
I know it's keep you from sleepin' at night, baby, baby sometime, just like I do

SOLO (Spoken: Play it once for me, boys, long as I got 'em.)

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:48:18 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2018, 10:43:51 AM »
Hi all,
Yank Rachell recorded "Texas Tommy" at the same session as he recorded "When You Feel Down And Out", in Aurora, Illinois on June 17, 1938, and was once again joined by Sonny Boy Williamson and Joe Williams, while handling the mandolin and lead vocal himself.  In fact, Yank sings "Texas toney" in both of the verses in which he uses the phrase, and it seems likely that he is singing a version of "doney", as "toney", as did Long Cleve Reed and Papa Harvey Hull on their song "Two Little Tommies [sic]".  This must be one of the most joyful and rhythmically infectious performances in all of the Country Blues, and Yank sounds positively gleeful in his vocal, just having so much fun singing the complicated stammering phrasing scheme.  Kudos to Joe Williams for his very strong boom-chang back-up, too.  Here is the trio's performance of "Texas Tommy":

INTRO SOLO

Texas toney, I can ball the, jack, indeed, my Lord,
Texas toney, I can ball the jack
I'd do anything, oh Lord, sure thing, to get my woman back

Mama, mama, sure, I am your, child, indeed, oh Lord,
Mama, mama, I know I am your child
My good work kill me, mama, sure thing, poor mama, let me die

If I could holler, like that Streamline, sure indeed, my Lord,
If I could holler, like that Streamline blow
I'd holler so loud, oh Lord, sure thing, fall on the killin' floor

Shoutin', brother, cried the whole night, Lord, indeed, my Lord,
Shoutin', brother, I cried the whole night long
I tried so hard, oh Lord, sure thing, to teach him from right from wrong

Bring my shotgun, pistol and some, shell, indeed, my Lord,
Bring my pistol, shotgun and some shell
Me and my woman, oh Lord, sure thing, we gon' try something now

SOLO (Spoken: Ah, let me go now, boys!)

Texas toney, I can ball the, jack, indeed, oh Lord,
Texas toney, I can ball the jack
I'd do anything, oh Lord, sure thing, to get that woman back

Mama, mama, know I am your, child, indeed, my Lord,
Mama, mama, I know I am your child
My good work kill me, mama, oh Lord, just let this poor boy die

Hear that rumblin', way down in the, ground, indeed, my Lord,
Hear that rumblin', way down in the ground
Musta been my woman, oh Lord, sure thing, she sure is jumpin' down

All best,
Johnm

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »
The "Mysterious Joe Williams" sounds an awful lot like Sleepy John to me. Some of the same riffs, though with a bit cleaner, more focused sound.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2018, 10:40:31 AM »
You're right about Texas Toney JohnM ..it's a real barnburner..just great, and the lyrics are uncommonly interesting as well. I suppose this might be expected from the author of Divin' Duck Blues. This one's areal find!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »
Two later recordings worth listening to--and titled "Texas Tony"--are on Yank's Blue Goose album and the album recorded by Yank Rachell And His Tennessee Jug-Busters in 1964 (Yank Rachell - Mandolin, Vocals; Sleepy John Estes - Guitar; Big Joe Williams - 9-string Guitar;  Hammie Nixon - Harmonica, Jug; Mike Bloomfield - Guitar)

(Texas Tony starts at about 13:26)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2018, 01:51:17 PM »
Hi all,
Yank Rachell recorded "Worried Blues" at a session in Chicago on April 3, 1941 for which he was joined by Sonny Boy Williamson on harmonica, William Mitchell on bass cano and Washboard Sam on washboard.  Yank played guitar, working out of his favorite G position in standard tuning.  After the first verse, each subsequent verse begins with a lyric break.  Here is the song:

The worried blues, mama, they sure do make me feel sad
Worried blues, mama, sure do make me feel sad
If these worried blues don't kill me, babe, that would be the worst that I ever had

Now, when my baby left me this mornin', it was 'bout half past four, she say, "I don't love you.", but still I hate to see you go
It must have been the worried blues, they sure do make me feel sad (Spoken:  Lord, have mercy!)
If the worried blues, they don't kill me, then, Sonny, that would be the worst I ever had

It's tune in on your radio, call out all ships, and see, I'm lookin' for Ella Mae, watchin' and ever she may be
The worried blues, they sure do make me feel sad
If these worried blues, they don't kill me, then that will be the worst I ever had

I can't eat a bite, I can't sleep at night, if I don't find Ella Mae, you know I'm gon' lose my sight
The worried blues, sure do make me feel sad
If the worried blues, they don't kill me, that will be the worst that I ever had

I said, these blues in the mornin', first thing when I lay down, if I don't find Ella Mae, I b'lieve I'm gon' lose my mind
These worried blues, mama, sure do make me feel sad (Spoken:  Lord, have mercy!)
You know, if you ain't gonna find Ella Mae, that would be the worst blues, mama, I ever had

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2018, 03:59:52 PM »
Hi all,
"Biscuit Baking Woman" was also recorded at the April 3, 1941 session in Chicago with Yank being joined by Sonny Boy Williamson, William Mitchell and Washboard Sam.  Yank once again played guitar in G position, standard tuning.  Even in 1941, this must have been a pretty tired musical and lyrical formula.  Here is the song:

INTRO

She bakes her biscuits, she bake 'em just right, she bakes her biscuits, well, she bake all night
REFRAIN:  She's a biscuit bakin' woman, she's a biscuit bakin' woman
I want to tell the world 'bout that biscuit bakin' woman of mine

She bakes her biscuits, she bake 'em nice and keen, she bake 'em good enough for the queen

She ain't so tall, but she kinda low, she bakes her biscuit 'cause she got good dough

SOLO (Spoken:  Take it down now.)

She bake her biscuit, she don't have to pay no fine, she the best biscuit woman in this town

She bakes her biscuit, bake 'em at night, wake up in the mornin', she got 'em just right
She's my, tell the world 'bout that biscuit bakin' woman of mine

SOLO (Spoken: Play it now)

Sing this song before I go, I want to eat some more of them biscuits that she roll her dough

Bake this time, ain't gon' bake no more, if you eat 'em, well, you want some more

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2018, 04:29:11 PM »
Hi all,
"Peach Tree Blues" was recorded at a session in Chicago on December 11, 1941, with the same personnel as the April 3, 1941 session, with the exception of Alfred Elkins replacing William Mitchell on bass cano.  Yank once again works out of G position in standard tuning, much his favorite playing position.  This song is one of which R. L. Burnside did a great cover.  This version has an unusually complex and long signature lick that answers each vocal phrase (as does Burnside's version), and it is one of the few one-chord numbers that Yank recorded.  He sounds almost definitely to be flat-picking his guitar part here.  Here is the piece:

INTRO

Don't them peaches look mellow, hanging way up in your tree
Don't them peaches look mellow, hanging way up in your tree
I like your peaches so well, they have taken effect on me

I"m gon' get myself a ladder, babe, I'm gon' climb up on your top limb
I'm gon' get myself a ladder, I'm gon' climb up on your top limb
I get as much of your yallow peaches, you know it's gon' be too bad, Jim (Spoken:  Yes, yes, yes!)

Any time I start to climb your tree, babe, I wonder what make you smile
Every time I start to climb your tree, babe, I wonder, what make you smile
You want me to climb up your tree, baby, since you was a child

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:36:10 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »
Hi all,
Yank Rachell recorded "Tappin' That Thing" at the same session as he recorded "Peach Tree Blues", and was joined once again by Sonny Boy Williamson and Washboard Sam, though there is no aural evidence (really) of there being someone playing bass cano on the track (Alfred Elkins is supposed to be playing it).  Yank's guitar back-up behind the second solo is just ripping.  The piece is really lively and showcases Sonny Boy's and Washboard Sam's talents.  Here is "Tappin' That Thing":

INTRO SOLO

Well, tapping' that thing is easy to do, I got that thing for my particular use
REFRAIN:  I been tappin' that thing, Great God Almighty, been tappin' that thing, Great God Almighty
Every mornin' at eight, you can hear me tappin' that thing

Tap it in the mornin', well, I tap it at night, tap that thing, I done tap it just right
REFRAIN:  I been tappin' that thing, Great God Almighty, been tappin' that thing, Great God Almighty

Went to the front door to get a shine, said, "Go to the back door and get it from behind."
REFRAIN:  Been tappin' that thing, Great God Almighty, been tappin' that thing, Great God Almighty

SOLO (Spoken:  Ah, tap it down, boy!)

Tappin' that thing is easy to do, I got that thing for my particular use
REFRAIN:  I been tappin' that thing, Good God Almighty, been tappin' that thing, Great God Almighty

I done told you once, I done told you twice, "Don't be messing' round here with my wife."
REFRAIN:  You been tappin' that thing, Great God Almighty, oh, tappin' that thing, Great God Almighty

Wear my shoes, you can wear your socks, you can hear Yank Rachell, how he play that box
REFRAIN:  He been tappin' that thing, Great God Almighty, oh, tappin' that thing, Great God Almighty

SOLO (Spoken: Tap it again, boy, I got 'em!)

I don't need no wife, don't need no hug, somebody bring me another jug
REFRAIN:  I can tap that thing, Great God Almighty, oh, tap that thing, Great God Almighty

Now, I tap it in the mornin', when I tap it at night, tap that thing, I done tapped it right
REFRAIN:  'Cause I tapped that thing, I been tappin' that thing

Look-a-here, babe, what you done done, got my money got me on the bum

SOLO (Spoken: Aw, tap it now, boy!)

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2018, 03:27:05 PM »
Hi all,
Yank Rachell recorded "Bye-Bye Blues" at a session in Chicago on December 11, 1941, once again joined by Sonny Boy Williamson, Washboard Sam and Alfred Elkins on bass cano.  This session, incidentally, yielded the following titles:  "Yellow Yam Blues", "Tappin' That Thing", "Rainy Day Blues", "Peach Tree Blues", "She Loves Who She Please", "Bye-Bye Blues", "Loudella Blues" and "Katy Lee Blues".  Not a bad day's work in the studio!  Yank sounds really truculent on "Bye-Bye Blues"--thoroughly aggrieved and ready to do something about it.  Here is the song:

INTRO (Spoken:  Come in here about half past four, you gonna tell me somethin', before I go!  Bang that door!  I'm gon' ruin you!

Hear you come in this mornin', baby, 'bout half past four.  I believe you got a note for your man done meet you 'bout half past four, why
REFRAIN: Bye-bye, bye-bye, yes, mama, bye-bye

I got that note, woman, that you put on your gate, you want your man to meet you, Lord, 'bout half past eight, but
REFRAIN: Bye-bye, it's bye-bye, yes, and, baby, bye-bye

Woman, you think you're sharp, think you're sharp as a pin, I'm gon' knock you down, baby, I'm gon' drag you all over my land, bye

And it's bye-bye, baby, bye-bye, I hate to leave you, babe, with tears standin' in your eye, but it's

SOLO (Spoken: Yeah, it's bye-bye.  Play it for me once, boy!)

I'm gon' tell you somethin', I don't want your man to know, please don't tell your mama, and don't tell your papa 'fore I go, but it's

It's bye-bye, bye, with tears standin' in your eye, I hate to leave you, babe, but I will say bye-bye-bye
REFRAIN: It's bye-bye, it's bye-bye, yes, mama, bye-bye

SOLO (Spoken: Yeah, it's bye-bye.  Play it now!)

All best,
Johnm 

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:45:56 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2018, 03:44:03 PM »
Hi all,
Yank Rachell recorded "Yellow Yam Blues" at the December 11, 1941 session with the same personnel as the other songs from that session already discussed here:  Sonny Boy Williamson, Alfred Elkins and Washboard Sam.  Yank once again plays out of G position in standard tuning, and the tremolo with which he concludes the song points toward his use of a flat pick to play the song.  Here is the track:

INTRO

I know you read about me, you know I'm a stranger in your land
I know you read about me, Lord, you know I am a stranger in your land
You know, I'm that tater-diggin' man, I just want to tangle up in your potato vine

I know your tater need diggin', Lord, the milk has run out of your potato vines
I know your tater need diggin', Lord, them milk has run out of your potato vines
That's why I wanna dig your potatoes, you know I'm wild about your yellow yam

SOLO (Spoken: Yeah, take them yam on down, boy!)

You know, them yellow yams, them yellow yams, Lord, them yellow yams restin' on my mind
You know, them yellow yams, them yellow yams, them yellow yams is restin' on my mind
If I catch some man grabbin' my potatoes, Lord, I believe I'll lose my mind

I said now, come down in my basement, I want you to walk around on my second floor
Lord, come down in my basement, I want you to walk around on my second floor
If you want some good diggin' done, have to come down there and knock on my door

Edited 4/12/18 to pick up correction from banjochris

All best,
Johnm     
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 01:37:50 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2018, 04:17:05 PM »
Hi all,
Yank recorded "It Seems Like A Dream" at a session in Chicago with Sonny Boy Williamson, William Mitchell, and Washboard Sam, on April 3, 1941.  Musically, it is the same song as "Tappin' That Thing", with a different set of lyrics (and a vocal harmony by Sonny Boy on the choruses).  Here is the song:

INTRO SOLO

My babe went off, stayed out all night long, she never got back 'til the break of dawn
REFRAIN: But it seem like a dream, but it seem like a dream
Well, it seem like a dream, it seem like a dream to me

I"m gon' buy me a dog, from why, you know?  Kill somebody 'bout my jellyroll
REFRAIN: Well, it seem like a dream, well, it seem like a dream

Me and my baby had a fallin' out, you didn't know what it's all about
REFRAIN: 'Cause it seem like a dream, well, it seem like a dream

SOLO (Spoken: Play it out, boys, seem like a dream)

Now, look here, babe, what you done done, got my money, got me on a bum
REFRAIN: You know, it seem like a dream, well, it seem like a dream

Wear my shoes, you wear your socks, hear Yank Rachell, how he play that box

Play this song, ain't gon' play no more, put it on my shoulder, down the street I go
Well, it seem like a dream, well, it seem like a dream to me

SOLO (Spoken: Play 'em now, boy, I got 'em!)

Tell you this time, ain't gon' tell you twice, don't catch you foolin' around, now, with my wife
REFRAIN: 'Cause it seem like a dream, 'cause it seem like a dream

SOLO (Spoken: Play again!)

Dream that dream all the time, don't play with thieves, I'm gon' lose my mind
REFRAIN: Well, it seem like a dream, don't it seem like a dream

All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal