collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I saw Son House in the early 70s. He looked at one of the ladies in attendance and said, "I may be an old man, but I have young ideas" - Stuart

Author Topic: Recuerdos de la Alhambra  (Read 519 times)

Offline eric

Recuerdos de la Alhambra
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »
--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Recuerdos de la Alhambra
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »
Thanks for posting that, Eric.  I've always wondered about that 10-string guitar that Narciso Yepes played, and for that piece by Albeniz, at least, he never went below what would be the low E string on a six-string guitar.  He seemed like he could have kept that tremolo going forever.  That's lovely playing.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:21:15 PM »
Fantastic- and a piece I've not heard for years and had almost forgotten about.

I can't read the name Albeniz without searching youtube for the clip below.  Asturias was the holy grail of guitar playing for me as a youngster taking classical lessons.  It was something I always assumed I could never achieve.  I was almost certainly right although I did manage to pretty much get the first dozen or so bars some years ago. Any semblance of classical technique I once started learning is long since gone :-)

Offline eric

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »
There is a gorgeous Narciso Yepes CD called Romance D'Amour, traditional (or at traditional-based) Spanish guitar music.  Highly recommended if you (or more likely your significant other ;) ) need a brief hiatus from country blues.  A glass of your favorite beverage, a view of the sunset and this CD will be an hour well spent.

With regard to the 10-string:  As best as I can figure out, he designed it with Ramirez to work like a harp guitar, with the upper four strings tuned C, A#, G#, F#, "...to supply sympathetic string resonance to all twelve notes of the chromatic scale, in unison with any note played on the treble strings."  It does resonate.  I do not know if he ever played those strings; I know he transcribed some lute pieces, but I have not heard them.

Critics of Yepes technique describe it as staccato when compared to Segovia, but to my blues-accustomed ears it's better described as percussive.  And there's certainly an African tinge to the Spanish tunes.

The Asturias piece is splendid.
--
Eric

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal