collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
What better reason to do something like music than just because you love it? It's really easy, all you gotta do is quit your day job, and alienate your family, and confuse all your friends, and live in squalor for a few years, and you got it - Bruce Molsky

Author Topic: New Feature: Keys to the Highway  (Read 7044 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
New Feature: Keys to the Highway
« on: January 30, 2007, 10:11:23 AM »
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN REPLACED BY WEENIEPEDIA

Keys to the Highway is a new resources section containing tips and tools for the country blues player, as well as lyrics that have been worked out collectively on WeenieCampbell.com. The files in Keys to the Highway have mainly been drawn from forum posts, with some additional explanatory notes being added on occasion. For lyrics, we?ve started with those that are complete or near complete and are generally viewed as being somewhere in the realm of "accurate." Our thanks to the many members who have contributed.

You?ll notice a new menu link in the Main Menu on the left of your screen: this is what you click to access the new section. If you have any questions about using the section, you can post in the Site Announcements, Tips and Trouble Reports board on the Weenie Campbell forum. If you have questions about a particular subject in one of the files, go to the original forum thread via the link provided at the bottom of each file and fire away.

We?ll be adding to Keys to the Highway on a regular basis and hope it proves useful.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:58:27 AM by uncle bud »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: New Feature: Keys to the Highway
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 10:24:46 AM »
I hate to sound like, well, like a weenie, but wow, that's nice!  Thanks to all involved.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 12:41:20 PM »
I'll second DJ and go further by saying last year I was being a right royal pain to JohnM asking several times if his Estes lyric transcriptions would be pulled together in one place. Not only are they in one area but are also linked to the original debates/discussions that got them to their current state - excellent.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 03:13:39 PM »
Hi all,
It has been great fun seeing this part of the site take shape under the leadership of Uncle Bud with plenty of help and great suggestions from John D., Rivers,  John C. and Richard.  As has already been stated, thanks to all who have contributed, especially to the Lyrics sections, which were largely collaborative.  Reviewing the Bracey, Howell, Estes and other threads in preparation for this part of the site, it was neat to re-visit the process of arrival at some of these very difficult transcriptions, and I have to admit, I feel a real cameraderie with all who helped with that process.  You know who you are.  Thanks so much, and there is still so much left to do!
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 06:30:22 PM by Johnm »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 07:01:04 PM »
I think it's great that people like banjochris, frankie or waxwing will take the time to type out all the playing positions and keys for all the songs Willie McTell or Blind Boy Fuller recorded, or that Ghostrider will transcribe all of Funny Papa Smith's lyrics. And JohnM has obviously shared an enormous amount of his expertise. They don't have to do that: they know the stuff already and could keep it to themselves. I agree with John, it's quite something to go through those threads and follow the discussions and exploration.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 08:59:40 PM »
Really a tremendous job on your part Andrew. Hours of editing and configuring, not to mention a little hacking. Looks Great. Good job to all.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 05:09:31 AM »
For anyone who hasn't checked the Keys To The Highway section yet, I'd like to point out that it's worth a look just for the great photos that illustrate each subject section.  They're mostly good quality scans of the artist in question.  For example, the "Adventures in Cross-Note" section is illustrated by the relatively newly discovered 1930s photo of Skip James standing in front of a car.  The resolution and clarity of the scans, especially the one of Texas Alexander, are about the best you'll find.  My favorite is one I'd never seen before, illustrating the "Blues in F" section:  a photo of the Pruitt Twins, Miles and Milas, seated, wearing dark coats and white slacks, playing a guitar and a mandolin, with two percussionists standing behind them in white coats, one playing a tambourine and the other bones.

Well done to all involved!

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 08:20:06 AM »
 :D ;D :D

Cheers to all...what a fantastic resource...another reason why this is one of my favorite web site....the one I check everyday!!!  As a beginner it is wonderfull to have such amazing people contributing to the continuation of this wonderful music tradition and supporting newbies like myself.

On other topic....is there a "key/playing position" list of Mance Lipscomb songs too?  I thought I had seen one somewhere....but maybe I'm mistaken... ::)

Thanks again all!!!  keep up the good work

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 11:09:42 AM »
Hi Blue,

I don't recall a Mance keys list, not on Weenie anyway. Check the Mance Lipscomb tag, maybe it will turn up whatever you were thinking of...

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 03:38:37 PM »
That's funny, I was just thinking last night about doing a Mance one... If there isn't one out there, I'll be glad to put one together.

Also, I'd like to add my thanks for this great section on the site.
Chris

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 01:06:33 PM »
Hello. I am carefully reviewing the Bo Carter keys list, taking into consideration all the suggestions/corrections people made, will post an updated list sometime soon that you can put on Keys to the Highway. Not that it'll be the "last word" -- one of the nice things about the internet is that it is easy to update items -- but I want to whip into tentative-definitive state before you put it on there. Thanks for y'all's patience! Cheers, SC

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »
Hello. I am carefully reviewing the Bo Carter keys list, taking into consideration all the suggestions/corrections people made, will post an updated list sometime soon that you can put on Keys to the Highway. Not that it'll be the "last word" -- one of the nice things about the internet is that it is easy to update items -- but I want to whip into tentative-definitive state before you put it on there. Thanks for y'all's patience! Cheers, SC

No problem, no rush. Tentative-definitive is our motto...

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Keys To The Highway bugs
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 12:00:36 PM »
Sorry to complain about a tiny bug, but the lyrics to Ishmon Bracey's "Woman, Woman Blues" are printed twice on the Keys To The Highway page devoted to that song. 

Also, is there any reason why "Family Stirving" and "Jake Liquor Blues" were left off the list of Bracey's lyrics?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Keys To The Highway bugs
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 01:53:44 PM »
Hi dj - No problem. Bug reports are good. I've fixed Woman, Woman. Family Stirving and Jake Liquor were left off for no good reason other than I forgot and didn't notice! Will get them on there...

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 10:13:15 AM »
Hi dj - No problem. Bug reports are good. I've fixed Woman, Woman. Family Stirving and Jake Liquor were left off for no good reason other than I forgot and didn't notice! Will get them on there...

Jake Liquor and Family Stirving are up.

Several more Funny Papa Smith lyrics have been added as well as we inch towards having his complete lyrics.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal