collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"When the waitress brought our drinks, I picked up my beer and proposed a toast. 'To John Hammond, for bringing Son to Columbia Records.' Son looked at me for a few seconds and then shook his head. He picked up his bourbon and smiled at me for the first time all day. 'To Robert Johnson, for being dead!'" - Dick Waterman

Author Topic: Big Hollow-Bodied Electric Guitar for Country Blues--Anyone?  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Big Hollow-Bodied Electric Guitar for Country Blues--Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
That IS really a great looking guitar, love the tailpiece and the finish! Congratulations! :)

My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 05:40:17 PM »
Thanks Bud, Slack, and O'Muck!

I've been messing with the set up today, and playing it a bunch.  It's kinda blowing my mind.  The only archtops I've ever played before this have been cheap Kays and Harmonys.. which I love 'em in their own way.. but this is a whole different thing.  It's very low and resonant, but the treble notes ring very clear and even all up the neck.  It's so different from flat tops I normally play on.  This is one of those guitars that is gonna be real hard to let go.  I just might have to make one for myself sometime.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 06:03:59 PM »
The guitar is a beauty, Devin--well done!  I'll be in touch tomorrow about visiting and seeing it and playing it a little.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 06:09:23 PM »
Johnm, I see the beginnings of a new country blues workshop --- be sure to bring you big-ass honking hollow-bodied electric guitar!  ..and tube amp!  :P

It'll appeal to all ages!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »
I know what you mean, John D.--you've got to go with the times!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 12:14:57 PM »
Hi all,
I'm just back from a visit to Devin's shop and thought some of you might be interested in impressions of his newly-made arch-top guitar.  As I told Devin, it already knows it is a musical instrument, not something that is always a given for a brand new, practically un-played guitar.  In a relatively brief amount of time, I tried to put it through its paces, and it rose to every challenge I could think of, sounding clean and warm whether played in Carter-style, thumb lead, Western Swing closed chords, Bossa Nova and chord melody, and Country Blues. 
The guitar's sound is unusual in a couple of ways for an arch-top.  Many or most of them that I have played have a pronounced, spikey attack, but such a rapid decay that notes practically seem to suck themselves into silence at the back end.  This guitar has a lovely, natural sustain--not excessive or swimmy, but just singing.  A lot of arch-tops don't particularly care for open strings in chord voicings, they kind of crap out, but this one works just fine for complex partially open voicings, as are used in Bossa Nova on occasion.  Its voice is really clear up and down the neck, even including single string lines played on the E, A , and D strings in the neighborhood of the tenth--twelfth fret, an area where most guitars get really woofy.
Appointments are plain but handsome.  The sunburst is a beauty, much more tobacco-colored than the posted photo would make you think.  Pretty maple binding and a really nice hand-carved rosewood tailpiece.  The neck contour is a rounded V, very comfortable and with a nice amount of mass.
This is an exceptionally fine guitar, but for a brand new guitar and a first-time effort at building an arch-top, I would say it is spectacular--and it is only going to get better as it is played more.  Congratulations to Devin on having made such a fine instrument (and having the ability to make one).  I should say, too, that his prices for his instruments are super reasonable, so bear that in mind.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »
Thanks for the review Johnm and congrats Devin! --- maybe you better hang on to your first born!

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 01:34:09 PM »
Sounds like you hit a homerun there Devin! Maybe you should make a youtube demonstrating the sound.  :)

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »
Thanks John!  I'm really honored to have you come down and to get your impressions on the guitar.  Best of all, I got to just stand around and listen to you play for a while!

I just took it down to Old Town Cafe (a great restaurant where you can show up, unannounced, and play an hour of music for breakfast), and put it through my own personal "breakfast run".  Boy.. it is gonna be hard to see this one go.  Better photos and a video will be in the works this week.

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
John, I'm very pleased with my "The Loar LH700VS".  Excellent quality for little money (you have to try it out before buying though as quality control is not a chinese thing).
I bought mine used from a professional player in the UK so I knew it would be a good one.  It's 100% acoustic but that can be remedied easely.
It plays easy and has a sound between an archtop and a flattop.  Love the 44mm wide nut and oldfashioned V-neck.  I have a 1950ies Gibson L50 as well that is much lower in quality.
Some sound examples
fast raggy blues

fingerstyle jazz (lotsa sustain)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2013, 11:30:38 AM »
Sounds great Carl, and great playing too! :)

Offline JRO

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2013, 04:34:31 AM »
^^Great playing daddystovepipe, thanks. The Loar LH700VS sounds real beautiful. How did you record your playing and did you edit the sound?

For awhile I've been looking for Loar LH 300VS or LH309VS or LH 319VS (the later ones have P90 picup) but they are hard to find here in Finland (maby I have to order one from Thomann without testing - and send it back if it doesn't suite me). Since your Loar LH700VS sounds so good, it might be better to look Loar LH600VS or LH700VS.

I have Gibson ES 175T (with humbucker pickups) and I use it also for acoustic playing. As the body is thin the sound could be louder but the guitar plays easily and sounds great to my ears.

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2013, 08:02:06 AM »
Thanks JRO, I recorded the last two songs with a Canon Legria HF G10 using a on top of the camera mounted Canon DM100 microphone (both are reviewed on youtube).
No editing (apart from cutting off the beginning and end of the video so you don't see me reaching for the start/stop button) nor sound enhancement.
I did order a LH600VS from Thomann once but sent it back because of issues with the intonation and finish (no problem, full refund except for the return shipping cost).  The one I got now is a good one. 
One thing to consider though with archtops is the height of the strings at your picking hand.  The saddle of my guitar is almost at its lowest point so the distance between the top and the strings is only a bit higher that with a normal flattop.  This angle can be very different from archtop to archtop.  I have a classical archtop as well and had to install a pickguard to reduce that stringheight. 
Good luck with the archtop hunt.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2013, 08:59:08 AM »
Hi Carl,
You do sound great on that guitar, it really suits you, and you get a beautiful open sound on it. Nice arrangement of "Nuages"!
All best,
Johnm

Offline bob long

• Bob Long
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
I sometimes use a 1950s National Dynamic 1125. With a little distortion it sounds great :-)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal