collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I can't stand to sing the same song the same way two nights in succession, let alone two years or ten years. If you can, then it ain't music, it's close-order drill or exercise or yodeling or something, not music - Billie Holiday, 1915-1959

Author Topic: Tapatalk problems  (Read 4705 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Tapatalk problems
« on: August 12, 2016, 05:20:14 AM »
Tapatalk have done an upgrade to something worse! Now I can't fetch WC content to my iPad, and it asks me to log in every time I try. The app still works on my android phone, but for some reason, having logged in on iPad, the WC screen won't populate with text. Have reported this to Tapatalk, but they don't seem to want to respond! Any other Tapatalk users with iPads having problems?

Offline harriet

Re: Tapatalk problems
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:53:40 PM »
I don't use tapatalk, I just go to  weeniecampbell.com through safari, skip the tapatalk message and I get the same site as is on my computer using my ipad 5, with system 9 and it worked on system 8 as well. I haven't tried posting or logging in though . I don't know if that is an option for you, it may not be if you have an older system.  It can be completely frustrating when an internet upgrade has glitches.  I had that with a skype and had to stop using it on my ipad :(.  Good luck

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 04:16:25 PM »
Yes, harriet, that's what I'm doing right now and it works fine. I'm giving up on Tapatalk until they sort this problem. Pitt, because it used to work just fine.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 09:07:43 PM »
Professor, I'll upgrade this end and see if it resolves the problem - I'm currently out of town, so it will half to wait until next week. Thanks!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 03:18:25 AM »
Thanks Slack!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »
Professor, or anyone.... please give your Tapatalk app a try now.  I've upgraded the forum.  Thanks.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 10:12:14 AM »
I can get lists of topics but when I click on one I get an internal server error. When I close that I see "There is a problem with the forum. Please contact the forum admin or try again later."

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 10:21:33 AM »
Thanks Chris, can you try it again?

Edit: So I just tried it and it appears to be working now, so let me know if that is not the case.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:31:14 AM by Slack »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 11:02:27 AM »
Looks like it's working well now. I just posted this using Tapatalk.
Chris

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 11:13:38 AM »
Great... thanks Chris!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 03:35:57 PM »
Brilliant! Works a treat now. Well done Slack!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 06:01:45 PM »
What does Tapatalk do for the site? The site basically looks and works exactly like on my laptop without it. Same sepia and mustard look, touch a link, loads in about a second with wifi, about two with G4 all functions work the same, including Siri typing what I say. I just skip the Tapatalk ad when I open the site.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Tapatalk problems
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 06:25:51 PM »
It's a handy way of dealing with forums on a phone or tablet, that's all. Especially makes it easier to read on a phone. Type is bigger and navigation is easier.

Also it keeps track of multiple forums.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 07:28:07 AM »
I switched phones from Android to iPhone 6+ last year, needed the bigger display and better integration with macbook. When I smashed the glass on the Galaxy dropping it one time too many it was time for a change. I did not feel like paying for and configuring Tapatalk all over again. The full site works fine for me on the 6+ without it but I would certainly go Tapatalk if I had a smaller display, there's just too much going on with the full site, visual and data.

The nag screen is slightly annoying, once or twice would be OK, every time is spam. There should be an option to say "No! Dammit...".  :P

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 11:52:46 AM »
I have a new problem on Tapatalk at the moment = when I go on Weenie it asks me to log in to access content. When I try to log in, it gives me an error message and won't let me! I can see recent discussions/topics but can't reply to posts. Grrrrr!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 12:41:39 PM »
Hi Prof,  I upgraded the forum recently and as part of security it required folks to re-login.  My best guess - this has apparently confused Tapatalk.  You might first try deleting your Tapatalk cookies, and then try to login into tapatalk again.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 03:13:29 AM »
Sadly that hasn't worked. I've also logged out and back in on the WC page on my computer and have deleted the Tapatalk app on my iPad and then reinstalled it. The error message I get on the iPad reads:System Message. Sever error occurred.' Call to undefined function get_auth_secret() (Subs-Auth.php:129)'
All my other forums work fine on Tapatalk, it's just WC that has problems.

Offline harriet

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 08:30:31 AM »
That may be the known error referred to in the thread below - this thread says other forums have reported broken logins...
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapatalksupport/update-to-smf-2-0-16-breaks-tapatalk-login-t44584.html

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 10:15:33 AM »
Thanks for researching Harriet!  That would be the problem as I upgraded to version 2.16 (and then 2.17).  Hopefully Tapatalk will fix the compatibility issue soon.   

Offline harriet

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 02:16:17 PM »
You're welcome Slack, I copied and pasted the error message that Professor Scratchy posted.

Just to add, it goes without saying I hope its corrected soon for tapatalk users. I've found copying and pasting an error message brings up threads with other users suffering the same problem quickly.

Best,
Harriet
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 03:52:00 PM by harriet »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 06:15:02 PM »
Professor, I've installed a new Tapatalk plugin.  Please give it a try now.  Lemme know!

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 01:39:29 PM »
Slack, I tried last night a couple times - clicking on Tapatalk notification of a new post in Weenie Cambell, I get this error - see attached file.
I was getting an error before you made a change, but I think it was the same that Harriet and Prof posted about.

Dave

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 02:48:25 PM »
OK Tapatalk folks, I have some bad news.  This is going to be difficult for me to fix since SMF removed Tapatalk from their list of approved mods.  This is where I would get the install code parsed so I could either install or remove manually.  SMF no longer recommends Tapatalk (see below).

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

SMF Hero
        View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Having Trouble Uninstalling a Package
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 11:42:39 AM »

Tapatalk was removed from the mod site some time ago because it's caused problems for SMF forums and is not recommended, primarily for security reasons.  .....
======
So, since we try to keep up with the latest versions of SMF For security reasons, I have decided to remove it from the site.  The site can still be accessed through your mobile device, just not as nifty.  Sorry and thanks.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2020, 03:36:02 PM »
Bummer. I don't use it but I know several contributors do.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 02:45:16 AM »
Vexing.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2020, 08:22:46 AM »
Bummer. I don't use it but I know several contributors do.

The only option is to do a clean install of the forum... which means re-doing all mods and the customizations we've made.  A daunting task.  We may need to do this at some point, but IMO, tapatalk is not worth it.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 11:34:30 AM »
I was hoping it would be just a question of rolling back to the point in time just before what you did to make it not work any more! Things are never that simple though. I still have Stefan Grossman’s forum on Tapatalk, and Michael Messer, and Blindman’s Blues, and Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum - but none of these can hold a candle to WeenieCampbell, which I’ll miss on my mobile phone.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 01:49:01 PM »
I know Professor, sorry.  The SMF forum is most of the site (along with MediaWiki (weeniepedia), a separate piece of software)... so the security of the SMF forum comes first.... it's not an easy task.  Rivers has installed a lot of additional software on the back end to protect us from bots and other malicious software.  I was surprised to find the SMF folks had taken Tapatalk off their support site and can no longer recommend it -- being a long time user of SMF, I trust their judgement.

Offline alyoung

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2020, 04:07:00 AM »
It's unfortunate that technology is screwing some Weenies around ... but I have to say I won't miss those pompous little adds to each TT post, along the lines of "sent on my iPhone using Tapatalk". The number of times I've had to resist saying "sent on my aged computer using my left and right index fingers" ...

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2020, 08:45:37 AM »
I hear you, Al. In the early 90s I read an article with the title, "When an upgrade is a downgrade." I can't remember where I read it, but it ended with the line (I paraphrase), "We're all beta testers now. Get used to it."

Truer words were never spoken.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2020, 03:12:29 PM »
Every time you cross a system boundary the probability of encountering an untested error condition are squared. No, not just increased exponentially, they are squared. I would have hoped that tapatalk, which I think is pretty good (but not for me), would be routinely testing all supported versions of their software against all supported versions of SMF. They may well come up with a compatible version, and get readmitted to the SMF approved mods, let's hope so.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal