collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Jack's house was sittin' in a old cemetary... He used to tell me, 'Boy, sometimes when I be out here, I have them jokers cuttin' up out there in them graveyards.' 'What you be doin' Jack?' 'Boy, playin' that guitar and havin' a durn good time out there' - Jack Owens, remembered by Jimmy Holmes, Living Blues #137

Author Topic: Mississippi String Bands on County  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Mississippi String Bands on County
« on: February 23, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »
I picked up Mississippi String Bands Volume I on the weekend (second hand!) and I highly recommend it. Richard Nevins remastered and it sounds very 'musical' without being dumbed-down for consumer ears. Generally I would say you can hear a lot more than on most reissues, Mr. Nevins has somehow achieved a lot of separation between instruments, particularly guitar and fiddle. There are some fabulous performances and tunes and the live energy is very apparent.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Mississippi String Bands on County
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:59:27 PM »
I picked up Mississippi String Bands Volume I on the weekend (second hand!) and I highly recommend it.

Good score, and I agree with your recommendation. I also have County Volume 2, and Document DOCD-8009 and 8028 that have the same title(s) as the County releases. There's some overlap (which seems to go with the turf when it comes to regional compilations), but I tend to like it all. However, if I had to make a choice, I'd get the County CDs first.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Mississippi String Bands on County
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »
Hi all,
Just to add to Mark and Stuart's recommendations, this is wonderful music, whether you get it from Document or County.  The Mississippi Old-Time bands were really terrific, whether you're talking about the Leake County Revelers, the Nation Brothers, Narmour & Smith (who recommended John Hurt for his first recording contract), Carter Bros. and Son, or Floyd Ming and his Pep Steppers.  You can't go wrong with this stuff.
all best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:08:45 PM by Johnm »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal