collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Once when singing in midtown Manhattan, a passer-by remarked that he played very much like Reverend Gary Davis, to which Gary replied that he knew Reverend Gary Davis quite well - Barry Kornfeld in Oh, What a Beautiful City

Author Topic: Mississippi Lowdown?  (Read 1751 times)

Offline GerryC

• Jest settin' here a-pickin' and a grinnin'
    • www.reverbnation.com/gerrycooper
Mississippi Lowdown?
« on: November 17, 2005, 01:41:13 PM »
Several years ago I bought an album by the great Britsh acoustic bluesman Steve Phillips ( Steel Rail Blues, 1989). On it there is an excellent instrumental track called Mississippi Lowdown - a very satisying bit of picking. However, I was surprised a few weeks ago to learn from a friend that this is in fact an instrumental version of a song, but I have no idea who originally recorded it or what the lyrics might be. I don't think I've even come across the title except on Steve's LP - yep, it's vinyl - where the only info is given as "Trad. arr. Phillips". Can any Weenie less steeped in the waters of ignorance help me? I've not seen Steve for a while, otherwise I might well be gettin' medieval on his ass about this...

Cheerily,

Gerry C

PS For those not acquainted with Steve [best known as a member of the Notting Hillbillies with Mark Knopfler and Brendan Croker], check out his website at www.stevephillipsmusic.com
I done seen better days, but I'm puttin' up with these...

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Mississippi Lowdown?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 12:29:11 PM »
Several years ago I bought an album by the great Britsh acoustic bluesman Steve Phillips ( Steel Rail Blues, 1989). On it there is an excellent instrumental track called Mississippi Lowdown - a very satisying bit of picking. However, I was surprised a few weeks ago to learn from a friend that this is in fact an instrumental version of a song, but I have no idea who originally recorded it or what the lyrics might be.
Somewhere I have Walter Vinson/Jacobs accompanied by Bo & Lonnie Chatman singing a blues of that name. I think it may have first been released on a 70s Herwin compilation and may have been Phillips's source. Check out Stefan Wirz's Herwin discography. This must be on a Document CD anyway.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 12:57:54 PM »
Mississippi Low Down is on the Walter Vincson CD on Document. It's in fact an instrumental. But it's essentially an up-tempo version of Lonely One In This Town by the Mississippi Sheiks, which does have lyrics (and there's a good thread on it in the forum somewhere). The Walter Vincson/Vinson/Jacobs CD is on the Juke but somehow several tracks have been left off, including this one! That will be rectified but in the meantime you can check out Lonely One in This Town, which is on the Juke.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 12:59:21 PM by uncle bud »

Offline GerryC

• Jest settin' here a-pickin' and a grinnin'
    • www.reverbnation.com/gerrycooper
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 04:23:41 AM »
Thanks, guys  :) Thanks to stimulus provided by members of the inexhaustible  Weenie University Faculty of Bluesology, I've tracked down CDs of both Vincson and the Sheiks with the relevant tracks. I have some Sheiks' material but not that particular song, and I don't have anything by Vincson. Oh, the shame... But I soon will have!! Amazon had a sample mp3 of Mississippi Lowdown and that is indeed the track in question. I couldn't find it on Wirz's site but he does point out that the Herwin discography is still under construction. Thanks again. (Although my credit card is currently cowering in the corner whimpering...)

Cheerily,

Gerry C
I done seen better days, but I'm puttin' up with these...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal