collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It takes a man that have the blues to sing the blues - Huddie Lead Belly Ledbitter, to Alan Lomax

Author Topic: John Miller Website  (Read 79234 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi,
I wanted to let you know about the Song of the Month lesson I'm offering for April, 2020:  Jesse Wadley's "Alabama Prison Blues", a song he played in Spanish tuning (Open G) that has a particularly pretty melody.  Wadley did some neat harmonized moving lines in the treble in the course of his rendition.  Here is a link to his performance:

For the month of April, I'm offering a lesson on "Alabama Prison Blues" for $35.00, for which you receive a transcription which includes his verse one and two accompaniments, a play-through of the transcription and very thorough talk-throughs of each verse accompaniment, with the transcription sent as a .pdf file and the talk-throughs sent as .mp3 files, all sent as attachments to email messages.  I won't be offering any hard copy version of this lesson this month. For more information and to see how to make payment for the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.

All best,
John
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:55:41 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
I hope that you are staying careful, safe and healthy in the current public health crisis.  I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson for May, 2020 is Shirley Griffith's "River Line", a unique 8-bar blues in E position, standard tuning with an arresting chordal dissonance I've not encountered elsewhere in the music that gives the song a rare intensity.  Here is Shirley Griffith's performance of "River Line Blues":

For the month of May, 2020 only, I"m offering a lesson on "River Line Blues" for $35.00, which will include a TAB transcription with Shirley's intro, two verse accompaniments and coda, along with very thorough talk-throughs of each section and the song's lyrics.  To order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section, and follow the instructions there for making payment.  I hope that folks will take advantage of this opportunity to learn this striking, but very playable piece.

I still have copies of all four of my books, "John Miller's Country Blues Guitar Collection", "The Guitar of Mississippi John Hurt--The Rediscovery Years", "East Coast Fingerstyle Blues Guitar" and "Texas Fingerstyle Blues Guitar" for sale.  U. S. residents can purchase a signed copy of any of the books for $30.00 postpaid, and signed copies of any two of the books for $55.00.  Payment can be made in accordance with the procedure outlined at my website.

Thanks for your time and I wish you well in these trying times.

All best,
John

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
I've started a new feature at my website called "Hidden Treasures" lessons.  These lessons feature songs which I feel have been insufficiently recognized or celebrated.  For the past several months I've had Bob Campbell's "Starvation Farm Blues" posted as the first Hidden Treasures lesson.  Today I posted Smoky Babe's "If I Had Listened To What My Mama Say", his unique version of "Catfish Blues" which he played in the virtually unheard of EADF#BE tuning (relatively speaking--he was tuned low).  The lesson includes a transcription of his recorded performance from beginning to end and thorough talk-throughs of each of his passes through the form.  Here is Smoky Babe's performance of "If I Had Listened To What My Mama Say":

Cost of the Hidden Treasures lessons is $40.00.  For more information or to see how to make payment, go to www.johnmillerguitar.com in the Teaching section.  I hope folks will take advantage of the opportunity to learn how to play this striking piece.  The special offer will remain available indefinitely.
All best,
Johnm 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:37:08 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
Just a mid-month reminder that Shirley Griffith's "River Line Blues" is the Song of the Month lesson at my website.  For more information on the lesson or to listen to the song, go two posts back in this thread.  Thanks for your time.
all best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Ed Bell's "Mamlish Blues", Song of the Month lesson, June, 2020
« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2020, 10:00:18 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson for June, 2020 is Ed Bell's "Mamlish Blues", a beautifully conceived piece by that Alabama musician played in EAEGBE tuning.  Ed Bell's piece is put together like a Swiss watch, and is particularly fun to play.  Here is Ed Bell's rendition of "Mamlish Blues":

The lesson includes his intro, verse accompaniments and coda.  For the month of June, 2020, I am offering the lesson for $35.00, for which you'll receive the TAB transcription, saved as a .pdf, and separate talk-throughs of each section, saved as .mp3 files.  For more information on the lesson or to order it, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson for July, 2020 at my website is Frank Hovington's "90 Going North", a terrific instrumental which he played in dropped-D tuning.  Frank Hovington lived much of his adult life in downstate Delaware, and was discovered there by John Fahey in the early '50s, when Fahey, who was on a fishing trip, saw Hovington playing guitar on his front porch and stopped by to hear him play.  Fahey was inspired to play guitar after hearing him, and after you hear this tune, I think you'll know why.  Here it is:

I have transcribed Frank Hovington's first three passes through his form, though the form is extremely variable in length, with the first pass fairly short and the second and third passes much longer.  For the month of July only, I am offering a lesson on "90 Gong North" which includes a TAB transcription and very thorough talk-throughs of the three passes on the transcription.  For more information or to order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.

Thanks for your time, and I hope you are staying careful, safe and healthy in our current situation.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
I just wanted to offer a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for July 2020 is Frank Hovington's dropped-D instrumental, "90 Going North".  To hear the tune and get more information on how to order the lesson, go to the post immediately above this one in this thread.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Goin' Down South" and "Mellow Peaches", a Song of the Month twofer
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2020, 07:01:07 AM »
Hi all,
I hope that you are doing well and staying careful and healthy in our current situation.  I wanted to let you know that I am doing a Song of the Month "two-for-the-price-of-one" offering this month with lessons on R. L. Burnside's "Goin' Down South" and "Mellow Peaches" both for the normal Song of the Month lesson price of $35.00.  Both song versions come from Burnside's early acoustic recordings and each exemplifies the hypnotic sound and rhythm of Mississippi Hill Country Blues.  Here are Burnside's renditions that I will be teaching:

For the price of the lesson you'll receive TAB transcriptions and thorough talk-throughs of each song.  For more information or information on how to make payment, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , and look in the Teaching section.  Thanks and stay well.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Sluefoot Joe and Clifford Gibson's "House Top Blues", SotM lesson for 9/20
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2020, 10:15:45 AM »
Hi all,
The Song of the Month lesson at my website this month is Sluefoot Joe (Ed Bell) and Clifford Gibson's collaboration on "House Top Blues", for which Clifford Gibson provided some of the most remarkable playing in Spanish tuning (Open G) ever recorded. Here is "House Top Blues":

The lesson's TAB transcription includes Clifford Gibson's intro, his verse one and verse two accompaniments, his solo, his verse three accompaniment and his coda. ( He was playing so much great stuff that I wanted to get just about all of it.) The lesson will include thorough talk-throughs of each section of the song. For the month of September, 2020 only, the price of the lesson will be $35.00. Payment can be made in accordance with the procedure set forth at my website, johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.

Thanks for your time, and I hope folks will take advantage of the opportunity to learn some of spectacular playing Clifford Gibson did on "House Top Blues".

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
New "Hidden Treasure" lesson: Jack Owens' "Jack Ain't Had No Water"
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2020, 09:53:03 AM »
Hi all,
I've had the Hidden Treasure lesson on Smoky Babe's "If I Had Listened To What My Mama Say" up at my website for a while, and decided it was time to feature a new song. I've selected "Jack Ain't Had No Water", a beautiful number by Jack Owens, a Bentonia, Mississippi resident who played the song in cross-note tuning. The song is definitely not treading the same ground as Skip James' playing in that tuning, as you will be able to tell by listening to it:

Jack Owens' use of syncopation and surprising accents in the bass, have a way of making the accompaniment sound like it must be more than one guitar playing, at times. And the song has an inward sort of ruminative quality that is all its own. I've transcribed Jack's performance from beginning to end, and the lesson includes thorough talk-throughs of each pass through the form, in addition to the transcription. Cost of the lesson is $40.00, and I'll leave it up at the website until I feel like enough folks have discovered it. To find out how to order the lesson, go to:http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html . Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Down The Highway" by Charlie Pickett: Song of the Month lesson for 10/20
« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2020, 06:57:19 AM »
Hi all,
I hope you are doing well and staying careful, safe and healthy. I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson I have selected for October, 2020 is Charlie Pickett's "Down The Highway", a remarkable performance in E in standard tuning for which the over-used phrase "one of a kind" may, for once, aptly be used, for neither Charlie Pickett himself, nor any other blues musician I'm aware of ever recorded another piece like it. The guitar part tracks the melody in a way that is very unusual, and the flamenco-like signature lick is a shocker, even when you've heard it before. Here is "Down The Highway":

For the month of October, 2020 only, I am offering a lesson on "Down The Highway" for $35.00, which includes a TAB transcription of the intro and first and last verse accompaniments (the song has no solo), as well as thorough talk-throughs of each section. of the song. To order the lesson, go to paypal.com and make a deposit to my account there, which is the same as my email address: john@johnmillerguitar.com

Thanks for your time, and I hope that you'll take advantage of the opportunity to learn this strikingly original song.

All best,
John

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Charlie Pickett's "Down The Highway", Song of the Month lesson for 10/20
« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2020, 06:26:57 AM »
Hi all,
I just wanted to post a reminder that the Song of the Month lesson for October, 2020 is Charlie Pickett's "Down The Highway", which you can listen to at the post previous to this one in this thread. The lesson will be available for $35.00 during the month of October, 2020 only. Go to johnmillerguitar.com in the Teaching section to place your order. Thanks, and I hope you're staying careful, safe and healthy.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Hattie Green" by Mance Lipscomb--Song of the Month lesson, November, 2020
« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that I have selected Mance Lipscomb's driving 8-bar blues "Hattie Green, played in A position in dropped-D tuning, for the November Song of the Month lesson. As was most often the case with Mance's songs, he played a tremendous amount of material over the course of the tune, changing as he went along, rather than playing the same pass over and over. The lesson includes transcription of his intro solo, three verse accompaniments, and three later solos. Here is Mance performing "Hattie Green":

For the month of November only, the lesson is offered for $35.00. Go to johnmillerguitar.com in the Teaching section to see how to place an order. I hope you'll take advantage of the chance to learn this exciting piece. And I hope that you're staying careful, safe and healthy.
All best,
John

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Larry Johnson's "Keep It Clean", Song of the Month lesson for December 2020
« Reply #193 on: December 01, 2020, 07:35:19 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the song I've selected for the Song of the Month lesson at my website for December, 2020 is Larry Johnson's version of "Keep It Clean" from his 1970 release, "Fast And Funky". It's a remarkable performance which Larry completely re-worked from Charley Jordan's early recording of the song. Charley's version was played in E position in standard tuning, but Larry chose to arrange the song in A position in standard tuning. It's both spectacular playing and spectacular arranging. Here is Larry's version of "Keep It Clean":

The lesson includes Larry's intro, his verse accompaniment and his interlude, and since the song is pretty much of a set piece, that about covers it. Cost of the lesson during the month of December only is $35.00, and for that you'll receive a TAB transcription and thorough talk-throughs of each section of the song, sent as attachments to emails. To place an order for the lesson, go to my website, johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section and follow the instructions there. I hope that you'll take advantage of this opportunity to learn a perfectly ripping song.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Floyd Council's "Poor Boy And Ain't Got A Dime", Song of the Month lesson, 1/21
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »
Hi all,
Happy New Year! I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson for January, 2021 is Floyd "Dipper Boy" Council's "Poor Boy And Ain't Got A Dime", a terrific Carolina blues that he played out of G position in standard tuning. Here is his performance of the song:

The transcription included in the lesson has his intro solo, verse one and two accompaniments and his coda. Price of the lesson, during January, 2021 only, is $35.00, for which you receive a TAB transcription saved as a .pdf, the song's lyrics, and very thorough talk-throughs of each section of the song, saved as .mp3s, with the entire lesson sent as attachments to emails. Hard copy versions of the lesson are available to US residents only, for $45.00, to cover the cost of a padded envelope and USPS Priority Mail. To order the lesson, go to johnmillerguitar.com, in the Teaching section, and follow the payment instructions there. I hope folks will take advantage of this chance to learn a song from a very strong and original guitarist.

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 12:12:00 PM by Johnm »

Tags: John Miller 2017 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal