collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Away out where the men are men, down in El Paso, that is where they call me a yodeling hobo - Gene Autry, "The Yodeling Hobo"

Author Topic: Blues and the Soul of Man  (Read 1120 times)

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
Blues and the Soul of Man
« on: September 30, 2019, 04:30:07 PM »
Taking advantage of a current sale from Stephan Grossman's website, I picked up this new book, an autobiography of Skip James, kind of like a Jefferson bible, just James' words without all of conjecture that Stephen Calt apparently inserted in his work.  I read several reviews of the Calt book, but never read it.  I just got it and haven't read too far yet but this sounds like a pretty good approach to understanding and gaining insight into the man and his music.  I was deeply mesmerized by his performances many years ago live and on recordings.  I thought a great deal of the John Hurt biography told more about those around him than I really wanted to know.

I guess there will either be a backlash to this approach or some insightful comments but I just wanted to bring it to your attention.  Nice tabs in the back by Tom Feldmann.  I am about to dig in.  Meanwhile...

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Blues and the Soul of Man
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 08:39:37 AM »
Thanks for the review, RobBob. It looks like an interesting package. Stefan's sale goes through Friday, so I'll most probably order it up later in the week.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Blues and the Soul of Man
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 09:09:46 PM »

Tags: Skip James 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal