collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I woke up and remember having to go into my room to get some clothes or something out of my chest of drawers. I was very quiet, as I could hear Rev snoring and didn't want to wake him. Well, I got whatever it was and I was headed toward the door when I heard in a commanding voice,"Don't move or you're dead!". I turned around to see Rev with a .38 revolver in his hand pointed in my general direction, but sort of moving around so as to cover a wider target area. I remember screaming something to the effect of, "No--don't shoot." Rev replied, "One wrong move and you're dead." Well, then I started talking a mile a minute..."Rev, it's me, it's Barry, don't shoot Rev...I was only getting something from my chest of drawers..." Finally, Rev said, "Is that you, Barry?" The incident was soon over, and I had escaped with me life. I guess, from his perspective, it must have been kind of weird to be alone, blind, on the road 3,000 miles from home and rooming with a bunch of lunatic young musicians many years his junior. But to this day, the picture of Reverend Gary Davis that sticks in my mind the most is early in the morning, half-awake and blind as a bat, with a .38 in his hand pointed in my general direction. It was one of the most frightening moments of my life - Barry Melton

Author Topic: Hand Picked Blues radio show  (Read 1110 times)

Online lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
Hand Picked Blues radio show
« on: November 11, 2020, 11:22:14 AM »
I've been enjoying Richard's and Mendip Slims' Mixcloud programs--thanks to both for the time and effort! 

I want to plug this show, produced by someone who has attended at least 10 Port Townsend workshops and who plays both mando and guitar, not at the same time.

http://cfuv.uvic.ca/cms/?shows=hand-picked-blues

Part of the deal at this station is that a large chunk of programming must originate from Canada. Lucky for us, Canada has a lot of excellent practitioners of acoustic blues, and the host is familiar with them at all levels of obscurity.

Thursdays at 4 pm, Victoria, British Columbia time.

It's non-com radio with a small budget, so it can only archive each show for one week before replacing it with a new one.

Lindy

Offline islandgal

Re: Hand Picked Blues radio show
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 12:35:27 PM »
Lindy,

Thanks for alerting me to this program by my fellow Canuck and Vancouver Islander, Gavin Hodgins. I will definitely be following his show.

Jean

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 05:01:56 PM »
Thanks, Lindy. I just listened to the archived show. Gavin put together a nice mix of the good stuff, IMHO.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 09:49:13 PM »
Very cool. Tons of good stuff but especially good to hear Del and Suzy at the end. Will keep checking it out, eh!

Online lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 09:18:24 AM »
Folks,

I just want to give a quick new plug for this program because this is CFUV's fund drive week.

The way things are in Canada and the US, we rely on non-commercial stations to help keep obscure kinds of music like country blues alive and reaching the uninitiated.

The program is still 4 pm Thursday afternoons, British Columbia time zone. Each show is available for 1 full week after its initial airing.

Thanks for any contributions you can make!

Lindy

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal