collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm old enough to know you can't close your mind to new ideas - John Goodenough, a 94-year-old professor at the University of Texas at Austin

Author Topic: Michael Bloomfield's Reminiscences of Big Joe Williams  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Michael Bloomfield's Reminiscences of Big Joe Williams
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
Hi all,
This link:  http://ourblues.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/michael-bloomfield-me-and-big-joe.pdf , was kindly provided to me by a Weenie.  It provides some interesting reading, the late Michael Bloomfield's "no punches pulled" memories of the times he spent with Big Joe Williams.
All best,
Johnm

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
Re: Michael Bloomfield's Reminiscences of Big Joe Williams
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:19:35 PM »
Thanks John looking forward to finishing when I get home.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline MissouriTiger

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
Thank you so much for posting this. I've just finished reading it, and all I can say is wow! I have been wanting to read it for years, but never got around to buying it, probably due to the price tag. I always find some other used blues book cheaper. I am grateful to you that I finally got to read it.

I knew part of it took place in St. Louis, where I live, but I wasn't expecting such a crazy turn. There is a lot of humor here, but there is also the harsh reality behind the origin of this old music we are playing.

What is strange is that I could swear I once read an excerpt from the book that took place in Washington Park, IL, but that part isn't in the book after all. Strange...

Once again, thanks!

Greg

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »
I really enjoyed reading this whenever i did, there are some lovely and poignant scenes depicted. Thanks for the reminder.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 03:44:11 PM »
Thanks for the link, John. I wish there were some more memoirs of blues players like this one by Mike Bloomfield.

I think this is only part of the text. I also recall reading this before and swore there was another scatological scene that isn't in here where Big Joe explains during a road trip how he wanted to take a good "country shit" in a field on the side of the road. Unless I missed that page...

Offline thickpete

• Folks that ain't broke is badly bent...
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »
That made my day - thanks! The line about the womanparts is going up on my wall or something....

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:12:11 PM by Stuart »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 07:20:16 PM »
The "country shit" story is in the George Mitchell collection liner notes (of course it may be elsewhere but that's where I read it). It'd be a great band name, I think.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 04:57:46 AM »
The "country shit" story is in the George Mitchell collection liner notes (of course it may be elsewhere but that's where I read it). It'd be a great band name, I think.

:P   Dibs.

I must've conflated the digestive anecdotes. Thanks Chris and Stuart.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 06:16:11 AM »
As a more usable alternative to Country Shit for a band name, I always thought the name of that dopey butter substitute, Country Crock, would make a great band name.  It's almost certainly copyrighted, though.

Offline thickpete

• Folks that ain't broke is badly bent...
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 06:46:22 AM »
If it's not apocryphal - Jorma, Jack, and Joey Covington's (RIP) Hot Tuna was originally supposed to be named "Hot Shit", wasn't it?? Given the country blues influences getting nice warm fish into the mix works better as a name though methinks.....  ;)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 07:15:54 AM »
According to Jorma (if denial and revisionist history aren't at work here), it is apocryphal. IIRC, he said they were in some eatery riffing on the line, "What's that smell like fish, oh Baby," when one of them said "Hot Tuna" in response to a tuna melt that was being prepared. --But that could be a sanitized version for public consumption--and apocryphal as well.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »
As a more usable alternative to Country Shit for a band name, I always thought the name of that dopey butter substitute, Country Crock, would make a great band name.  It's almost certainly copyrighted, though.

Cracker Barrel wouldn't be bad either!

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 07:38:01 PM »
Cracker Barrel? I always thought it was called "Squirt Bucket".
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline wreid75

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 05:19:13 AM »
https://ourblues.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/michael-bloomfield-me-and-big-joe.pdf

here is the pdf for Me and Big Joe. no use in paying for this book when you can see it for free.  give me a few to look up some more.  i have found Fahey's Patton and Calt/Wardlows Patton book both on PDF online too.  let me see if I can find it again and I will post link

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 09:21:59 PM »
Did you read the very first post in the thread?

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal