collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
[We played in] restaurants, taverns, and gangster hangouts. Played... Italian music, German music, we played polka music... we'd play blues, too... we played wherever the dancers was - Roosevelt Scott, on the life of a bluesman in Chicago in the 1940s. From an interview with Jim O'Neal in the notes to Document 5413

Author Topic: California Blues  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
California Blues
« on: September 03, 2006, 06:09:56 AM »
Well I seem to have the singing bug  eek..  however bad it and my guitar sound, but what is life with a little fun  :P

Again apologies to Jimmie Roders, sheer luck it's another one of his but, it's my poor take on it.. I won't say enjoy  :-X
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: California Blues
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 09:34:03 AM »
How about some Casey Bill Weldon next? I've always wanted to learn how to do WPA blues, and if I had a lap guitar it's the first song I'd try. Good to see you posting these lap things. Oscar Woods in a year's time???

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 02:28:49 PM »
CBW and Oscar W are certainly my favorites.

No promises, since I can't really play but, I'll look at New WPA, I can do few CBW licks sort of, so if I record them maybe we could assemble them into tune  ;D  and of couse by Weenie Guernsey I might even be brave enough to go the stand.

I like Muscat Hill as that is pretty generic other than his VIb trick so I might be brave  :-X   Meantime however bad these efforts might sound I feel as though I am last going forward a bit, it's a long haul.

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 02:57:26 PM »
I have a lot to learn about lap!  Your playing sounds good to me.  Among other things, your sense of tone/pitch with the slide seems solid.  I'm curious, can you just hum along with the notes as you play them?  Meaning, do you feel you have a good internal sense of the notes you want to hear and so that's why you play them, or are you using more visual clues to get the notes?

tom

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 12:38:09 AM »
Tom

Very technical  :o

Ummmm.... I don't hum as such, I think I probably have something running internally that churns out the few licks that I can play in a very loose premediitated way, hopefully in the right context it's hard to describe. Hope that doesn't confuse you even more  ::)

Being a drummer  :-X I think my playing is very square .Subconsciously I do think\count in blocks of bars and tend to work on the chord or the pentatonic boxes, I am trying to move on and be able to 'solo' without sticking to the chord sequence per se.

Does that help...?  Why not come over to the Weenie thing next year and I'll give you a very bad lesson on lap  :)

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 08:21:31 AM »
Richard...

Another good effort...your lap steel sounds awesome!!!

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 03:30:59 PM »
Thankyou.

I had a Dobro but didn't get on with it at the time, so eventually after some 'trading and trying' I ended up with this 'ere rather well used '29 squareneck tricone and I just love it  :-*  :-*  :-*  it is THE machine  :)  :) :) 

Offline Peghead Howell

• It's a great day to play!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 12:42:15 PM »
Richard, I really liked the Jimmy Rogers review yesterday,, You can do that one anyday for me...WoW!!! It brings back all sorts of old memories from 5years old listening to the old Victrola laying on the floor in the living room, to trying to yodel during puberty...... worked for a while!

Your rendition of "California Blues" was great,, nice slide accompaniment (sp?)
also near and dear to my "Country,Old time" "Blues" addictions. Keep up the good work,, Weenie Juke keeps me sane 51 weeks a year, Port Townsend the other week.  Thank's a lot,  Peghead Howell

Keep up the good work!!!!!
Just wait until next year!!!!

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 12:45:19 AM »
Well thanks, you are too kind on both counts  :)

I know Jimmie Rodgers is not to everybody's taste but I think he is great and deserved a spot just as Memphis Minnie did!

Stay tuned  :P

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 08:47:07 AM »
Hi Richard

Congratulation to your new career as a recording artist. :D

I too have now added a Jimmy Rodgers song to my setlist! See what you have done! :o

I understand absolutely nothing about lap steel playing, so believe me when I'm saying you're doing great! :P

Cheers

Pan

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »
Thanks!  Good to know Jimmie is getting more of an airing, let me see if I can get you doing a Casey Bill tune as well ;)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 02:20:42 AM »
Told you to do it!  If only you could hold the guitar the proper way up. When's the next one coming?

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 10:07:16 AM »
Working on it..... it's got Eb flat in it  ::)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal