collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I never wonder to see Men wicked, but I often wonder to see them not ashamed - Jonathon Swift

Author Topic: Kalamazoo  (Read 15644 times)

Offline avilaguitars

Kalamazoo
« on: October 05, 2008, 04:26:18 PM »
bye
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:53:07 AM by avilaguitars »

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
Re: Kalamazoo KG-11 vs Kalamazoo KG-14
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 06:16:46 PM »
There's an absolutely killer Recording King Carson J. Robison KG-14, same as the Kalamazoos but with a different name on the headstock, at Lark Street Music. It's got the "Russian onion dome" shape headstock, not the simple peaked-top that you more often see. I don't remember the price, which I didn't bother to get because I'm not in the market right now, and there was no hang tag on this guitar. I played it two Sundays ago, while stopping in for strings and waiting or my kids to finish a class nearby.

Personally, visually, I don't like the shape of the KG-11s. I know that's kind of shallow to rule them out for that reason, but hey, you gotta see it every time you pick it up. But I've played and heard quite a few KG-11s that I thought sounded great.

JoeDeath

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 03:25:52 AM »
Here's a KG-11 in playable condition at a decent price

http://www.vintagemandolin.com/39kalamazoo_kg11_nsn.html

JoeDeath

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 04:18:30 PM »
Nah, I'm in no way associated with the link.

I was on the Mandolin World site looking for a used Oscar Schmidt Stella. Then I logged on here, saw your post, and thought I'd link you to the KG-11 I saw.

I might think about adding it to my collection. I don't care about ugly.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:34:35 AM »
Try Gbase -you'll always find some there....
http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearSearch.aspx

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »
I don't know much about the sound of a KG-11.  I have played one once at a guitar show.  Wasn't much impressed and I hate the look of them.  I do own a KG-14.  If you are interested in recordings of a KG-11 you can always go to Walter Tore's Soundclick site.  He bought one a couple of years ago and has made numerous recordings with it.  Mind you Walter definitely can bring out the best in any guitar and as they say in the commercials, your results may vary.  Also his recording technique is very intimate so you can really hear the guitar.  I have many recordings as well on the KG-14, both solo and in a band setting and if you are interested in any of those let me know.

I know these Kalamazoos are very hard to come by these days.  I advertised mine for sale over a year ago, then decided to keep it and I still get emails about selling it.  So good luck in your search.

Mark

Offline billdraper

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 12:52:10 PM »
I purchased a KG-11 on ebay because it looked in great condition, it didn't cost much relative to other vintage Gibsons, and I had heard they are light and loud and good for slide and blues.It arrived and  looked and sounded nice but needed luthier work to get it sounding its best.

Its punchy and loud but it also is nice for general fingerstyle...softer prettier material. I like it. Its nice to have an old gibson made guitar.

Here is a sound clip, using silk and steel strings:
http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/srplayer.php?type=hipriv&trackid=55898

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:58:32 PM by billdraper »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 12:54:04 PM »
Welcome to WeenieCampbell Bill!

Offline billdraper

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 01:05:16 PM »
Thanks Slack! Great to discover a site dedicated to country blues!

Bill

Offline billdraper

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 01:33:24 PM »
Check out this beautiful pic. This one hardly been played before I got it I suspect. Its starting to open up even. Has a unique sound. silk & steel strings on for this noodle...fun rythm guit.

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/srplayer.php?type=hipriv&trackid=55899

Bill
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:11:53 PM by billdraper »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 08:24:47 AM »
I'd forgotten that I had put in a notification, long ago, to Elderly Instruments for a K-11. I am no longer interested, but when I clicked on the link the guitar was already on hold. For reference and how an Elderly notification works:

---snip---
Hello,

You have asked us to notify you when we have an item like the following, which is now in stock:

******************************************************************************************
KALAMAZOO KG-11 (1936) - VG-EC except two repaired top cracks and needs work (refret to straighten
neck, reglue one back brace on ends, restring, setup, etc. - sold AS-IS), 14-7/8" lower bout,
sunburst finished ladder-braced spruce top, dark stained mahogany back and sides, 14-fret
V-shaped mahogany neck, roof-top shaped peghead, white silkscreened "Kalamazoo" logo, 19-fret
Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlays, 1-25/32" nut width, 24.9" scale length,
17-3/8" body length, rectangular Brazilian rosewood bridge (saddle appears changed), white-bound
top, firestripe pickguard, w-b-w-bound soundhole, 3-on-a-plate open-gear tuners with oval
black plastic buttons, made by Gibson, good sound! With brown OSSC (purple lining)

Stock number 20U-11992       Price = $750.00
Category = FLAT TOP GUITARS - USED
Want File entry 20U*265783

See photos at <www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-11992.htm>
******************************************************************************************

PLEASE NOTE:  Since we notify everyone in our Want File (for a particular item) at the same time,
THIS INSTRUMENT IS *NOT* BEING HELD FOR YOU!  We suggest you act on it quickly, if you are interested.

This item should be on our website very shortly, if it isn't already.
You can go directly to this item's webpage at <www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-11992.htm>,
and click on the "Buy" button to purchase it.
NOTE: If the webpage says "No longer available," the item has already been committed to another customer.
Sometimes these notifications are e-mailed before the item even appears on our website.  If you click on
the above link but the page is not found, please try calling us (at the numbers below), or check the
website again later.

You can also place an order by calling our toll-free number, (888) 473-5810, from within the USA,
or (517) 372-7890.
We cannot accept orders via e-mail, so please do not reply to this message and ask us to hold the item for you.

P.S.  Our Want File shows the following description for you, in the category
FLAT TOP GUITARS - USED.  Please feel free to update or amend it.
You can e-mail your updates to <notifications@elderly.com>, or fill out the form on our website at
<www.elderly.com/wanted.htm>.  Please mention that your Customer Number is 265783.

Description: KALAMAZOO, KG-11 "SENIOR", ANY

Price Range: ANY

Thanks for your interest,

Offline billdraper

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 02:44:07 PM »
Sorry I had some soundclips added in this thread but they didn't seem to be working so I pulled them all. I'll add another here, just to make the thread self contained. I'm not trying to sell my KG-11, only adding decent infomation for anybody consdering them.

I've heard good things about Elderly Instruments and Slack's info is a reason why. That price of $750 is an ebay price. Ebay is cheaper but the risks are higher because you never know what you are going to get. I bought my kg-11 on ebay for such a price...a little more actually because it was crack free and looks in almost unused condition...but the seller failed to mention (and I didn't ask about) excessive bow in the neck(no truss rod). This needed to be corrected with a fret job. Course they all seem to need neck resets as well...not to mention other modernizations like compensated saddle and new tuning keys. This can get expensive. The price one pays for the added aged tonal qualities. You need to consider these things when comparing to a modern day guitar purchase.

But Elderly...very nice...they tell you what you are getting and they have the good ebay price...great way to go I think. Put your name in at Elderly for one of these guitars if you want one...great idea Slack.

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/srplayer.php?type=hipriv&trackid=56369

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:24:42 PM by billdraper »

Offline slimchancer

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 09:22:36 AM »
I used to own a KG 11. Absolutely the best acoustic for flat picking / delta blues and just an all round nice & loud little monster. I have always regretted selling it some 4 years ago, and am on the look out for another, or something similar. I may opt for a stella brown face. I recently bought a national el trovador (reissue) not original 1930s, not really the same thing as a kalamazoo, but very nice for rag & bottleneck.

If I could choose between a KG14 & KG11, then I would choose the KG11 - a much more discerning choice, and I rather like its stubby appearance. If the young man from Kingston Music tech College who bought it from me reads this - can I have it back please?
The one on the Gbase site looks expensive to me, and the guy selling it is trying to make the RJ connection - I believe it was a KG 14 that RJ played, though no one really knows for sure. KG11s usually pop up for around ?650 (that's about $900 or so).

Offline Nicolas Dussart

• Salut les mecs !
    • some concerts photos
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 02:36:30 PM »
For those interested, one of my friends is selling his KG-11 on ebay. The guitar is in excellent condition.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320318188341
Item number: 320318188341
The guitar is in Northern France (near Lille).

Nicolas.

Offline billdraper

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 02:02:49 PM »
There are a few on ebay now! Also a friend of mine in Portland, said this fellow is great to buy from...his customer feedback does look good. I have no affiliation... Just  a KG fan

http://www.vintagenationals.com/national_guitar_guitars_acoustic_electric/

Cheers!

Bill
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:04:30 PM by billdraper »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal