collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The rule by which American musicians are judged is by how black they can sing, not how white they can sing - Taj Mahal, Frets interview

Author Topic: Bll Wilbur and other unknowns  (Read 2090 times)

FiddlinBlues

Bll Wilbur and other unknowns
« on: April 24, 2005, 08:47:11 PM »
I'm trying to get a feel for what artists have been re-issued since the days of the 78 rpm record.  Have any of you heard of Bill Wilbur?  He recorded "Greyhound Blues" with a 2nd guitar player name of Willie Lofton.  Anyhow, the 78 is fantastic.  Another interesting (but not as fantastic) duo is "Wiley and Wiley".  Anyone out there looking for particular blues recordings that may not be re-issued?

-FB

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Bll Wilbur and other unknowns
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 09:18:21 PM »
You can search the Document website by artist if you want. If it was relaesed as a "race" record they probably have rereleased it.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 07:13:45 AM »
Willie Lofton you can find on DOcument's Mississippi Blues Vol 2. He does a great cover of Big Road Blues, called Dark Road Blues, which is on the out-of-print Yazoo CD, Jackson Blues. Bill Wilbur, however, doesn't ring a bell to me.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 07:42:36 AM »
The Document website is at http://document-records.com/.

Bill Wilber's two sides are on BDCD 6019, Charlie & Joe McCoy Volume 1(1934-1936). 

The Arnold and Irene Wiley sides are on DOCD 5481, Blues & Jazz Obscurities (1923-1931).

Document lists both disks as still being available.

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 07:53:21 AM »
Howdy, Bill Wilber was a pseudonym for Joe McCoy on Champion 50053. Be sure and check out Arnold Wiley's piano solos "Windy City & Arnold Wiley Rag. He was a great pianist.

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 02:40:38 PM »
I was very unhappy with the quality of the Bill Wilber sides on the Document release ; there's a lot of noise on them that mars the performances to my mind.   I have a microgroove reissue of Greyhound on an LP somewhere that's a devil of a lot sharper.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal