collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Away out where the men are men, down in El Paso, that is where they call me a yodeling hobo - Gene Autry, "The Yodeling Hobo"

Author Topic: Ladder Braced Jumbos  (Read 5899 times)

Offline sabocat

• Howdy!
Ladder Braced Jumbos
« on: October 18, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »
While I cannot recall a time I have not had a few ladder braced parlors and concerts around, I have a special place in my heart for their larger kin.  I think if I could I would surround myself with Vega Profundos, Regal Recording King Carson Robinsons, Oscar Schmidt jumbos, and Harmony Sovereigns.   

At present I have two - a 1930s Schmidt-made Galiano Jumbo and a ca. 1960 block letter logo Harmony Sovereign. 

If you are a geezer, the Sovereign, of course, is an old stand by and often the first "good" guitar we owned.  We used to think of them as a poor man's Martin D-18.

The Galiano is a 14 fret, solid peghead guitar. It even has the position marker on the 9th instead of 10th fret.  I was, in fact, not even sure it was a Schmidt-made instrument when I first stumbled across it.  But it was playable, sounded great and at only a couple of hunded bucks I figured I had nothing to lose.  On top of that is just really cool looking.

So I am just curious if anybody else's heart beats a bit faster while their hands start sweating at the sight of a big box ladder braced guitar.

Here is the Galiano.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Ladder Braced Jumbos
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:21:14 AM »
why, errm.... yesssss, precioussssss....

wasn't that guitar on neil harpe's site about, maybe 8 or 9 years ago? That's not a guitar easily forgotten... if it wasn't that specific guitar, it was very similar...  30s era, 14 fret, sssssunburssssst.... oh my.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »
My old Sovereign is my absolute favorite guitar I currently have. Playing RGD on it, one really appreciates the percussive aspect to his numbers.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline sabocat

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »
why, errm.... yesssss, precioussssss....

wasn't that guitar on neil harpe's site about, maybe 8 or 9 years ago? That's not a guitar easily forgotten... if it wasn't that specific guitar, it was very similar...  30s era, 14 fret, sssssunburssssst.... oh my.

No not the same guitar.   But I know which one you are talking about as Neil sent out a photo of it when I went to him for help identifying mine.  He also sent a pic of the Sovereign version.

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 04:25:12 PM »
oh yes..  I do love 'em.  Sweet picture there.  I bet it's a joy to play.  I am also in the Sovereign club.  I also have a ladder-braced Silvertone jumbo which is such a cool looking giant of a guitar!  I've been moving it around my shop"s back burner for years now. I got it in bad disrepair, but I hang on to it, patiently awaiting the day I actually have the time to work on a personal project. 

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »
Played a Giant assed Kay at Jalopy today , I think it belongs to Pat Conte. Its the one that Scrapper Blackwell is playing on his white t shirt Prestige record, I mean NOT that specific one but the Kay version of a J-200. Funky as hell, unique, interesting sound.

My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline sabocat

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 09:22:07 AM »
Those Kay-made jumbos are amazing sounding guitars. I actually like them better than the Harmony Sovereigns.  I am still regretting selling off my '53 Silvertone on which I had reset the neck and dumped the bizarre wrap around bridge and flimsy pickguard.  But I needed the cash to have another guitar on which I had put off repairs way too long fixed up.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »
the bizarre wrap around bridge?

Got a picture of that Bridge? I don't get an image of anything familiar from that description.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 10:38:34 AM »
I think sabocat means that the strings wrap around the bridge instead of the trad bridge holes and pins  Tom

Offline harriet

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 11:45:32 AM »
Is this one of them? I don't know, if so, how its attached to the guitar, if the bridge is mounted with the end screws or if its glued. The string threads through the front.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:48:25 AM by harriet »

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »
Here's my ladder-braced Oahu Jumbo. All Mahogany, wide, fat V-neck. Probably originally for Hawaiian play, it was made in a square-necked version as well (Unkie Bud has one of those).

15 5/16" lower bout
1 13/16 nut
25.5" scale

Alex

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:47:06 PM by GhostRider »

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 03:28:18 PM »
Now there's a nice piece of kit. I'm now looking for one like that. I don't have the space or cash but...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 02:12:56 AM »
NS...if you're looking for ladder braced jumbo for about 80 quid or less, consider Egmond guitars from Holland...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 03:33:03 AM »
NS...if you're looking for ladder braced jumbo for about 80 quid or less, consider Egmond guitars from Holland...

Luthier Rick Sellens aka rick218 is not overly fond of those and calls them "Eggboxes".
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 04:53:24 AM »
PP....Rick wouldn't like them. However they're cheaply made all birch ladder braced guitars of equivalent quality to many US made ladder braced guitars you'll find on ebay for a lot more money plus shipping plus customs duty plus 20% VAT. I've got one and it sounds great (for what it is i.e. a very cheap guitar)....you pays yer money...etc.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 10:08:49 AM »
Thanks Scratch. Will keep an eye open. Last time you made me a suggestion like that I ended up with a kaykraft which I still have. That said I have a Michael messer wooden bodied reso coming soon so I really shouldn't be looking for more guitars! 

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 12:24:44 PM »
You can't have too many! 

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal