collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If ya ain't got it in ya, ya can't blow it out - Louis Armstrong

Author Topic: Banjo parts / Bridges  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Banjo parts / Bridges
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:33:18 AM »
Anyone know of somewhere deccent in the UK that could sell me a blank SIX string banjo bridge, and possibly a nut too?

The sites ive googled all seem to have ready cut 6 string bridges, if they have them at all.

My 6 string banjo has strings that are just too close together to pick well with my sausage fingers.  The present situation (alarmingly) is that I will be unable to play it at the forthcoming Euroweenie extravaganza and will have to stick to guitar...

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: Banjo parts / Bridges
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 04:11:47 AM »
Why not ask Rick Sellens (rick218) who might have something suitable in his workshop? PM me if you need his number Simon.

Then bring the guitjo to the Euroweenie Extravaganza and Blueshome and I will show you how to play it (where did I put that sledgehammer?).

On a serious note, Frankie's fretless banjo playing on the new Little Brothers CD is great.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:35:52 AM »
Don't help him, it's still b*&^o! Now get on learning that BBB tune.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:00:49 AM »
Slim, if the Rick Sellens tip doesn't pan out, I'm just bringing this up as a possible reckless option, not recommended, I wouldn't do it myself without the supervision of an adult banjo player, but I seem to remember Dan Gellert saying that one of the first things he does with a new student's banjo (with consent only of course) is widen the spacing on the bridge by cutting new slots into the existing bridge. It's his opinion that spacing on most banjos is too narrow. He said the results are not necessarily pretty but it's better for playing.

Now we are talking about 5-strings in this case, a different beast with thinner gauge strings. Six-string banjos have less wiggle room at the bridge given the string gauges, I guess. Anyway, just mentioning it in case you feel desperate. Any horrible results not my fault.  >:D

You might want to try asking over at the banjohangout.org as well. I know there are a number of knowledgeable UK banjo pickers there who might be able to steer you to a local-ish source. A quick look on this side of cyberspace at Stewart Macdonald and Janet Davis only turned up slotted bridges.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:06:15 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:32:05 AM »
You can also try this bloke in Kent:

http://www.andybanjo.com/

I once visited his emporium with a friend.

What am I doing? Blueshome will be having an apoplectic fit reading all this b***o stuff.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:47:07 AM »

I did find unslotted bridges here:
http://www.anthillmusic.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=155275&c=156043&i=244796299

..and some slightly fancier custom bridges here:
http://zeppmusic.com/bridges.htm

These places are both in the States..  just what I found with a quick google search.  
  ~Devin

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »
I got the bits for my banjo sent over from Stewmac, just as quick as buying with the UK post system!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal