collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic, and so am I - Oscar Levant

Author Topic: Guitar hire in the UK  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Big River

• jamesclem.com
Guitar hire in the UK
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:59:55 AM »
Hi Friends, I am playing a couple of benefit shows in England (May 16 at Charlotte Blues in London and May 15 in Portland, Dorset). My  goal is to cut down on the gear I am flying with from the states. Does anyone know of any shops that hire out a good quality acoustic (OM or 000) in London for two weeks or so without breaking the bank? I know this is a longshot, but maybe there is such a place that does this. I plan on bringing a National Tricone and my National Uke (carry on) but schlepping a second guitar can be a real pain and the airlines are charging some hefty fees for each additional checked baggage.
This was a last minute booking and I am looking into doing a workshop or two (guitar and ukulele) while over there. If anyone out there has some contacts in this regard let me know.
You can check out a live video I put on the Performance Corner a week ago on the Forum where I do Blind Willie's "Traveling Blues" and you can go to my YouTube link below for some more (go to my Playlists for more live video). Thank you in advance for your time. Regards, James Clem
www.youtube.com/mrbissonet
www.myspace.com/clemjames
www.jamesclem.com (website to be updated soon!)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:45:10 PM by Big River »

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Guitar hire in the UK
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 02:49:04 PM »
Don't know them personally but try    http://www.audiohire.co.uk/band-guitars-audio-hire.htm

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:42:17 AM »
Hardly "country blues" guitars, unless you count the J200 (as associated with Rev. Davis).
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 02:22:06 AM »
Couldn't find anything else where they didn't want to charge the earth PP - you got a suggestion? Lend him your Oriole?

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 03:30:28 AM »
Couldn't find anything else where they didn't want to charge the earth PP - you got a suggestion? Lend him your Oriole?

Good point about the cost. Of course, you could lend him your guitars and have them all converted back to right-handed!

Actually, it's a shame James can't find a like-minded guitarist or two in London and/or Dorset who could lend him suitable instruments. I would have been willing, had he been playing in my neck of the woods. Any local Weenies out there?
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline huge furry whipinstool

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 02:56:15 PM »
If it is of any use you are welcome use my oldish (1944) Martin 0018 for the Portland gig. As you are looking for a 000 or OM this may be a bit too small bodied but the offer is there.

I live in the area so I may catch the gig anyway (if it is open to the public)

Offline Big River

• jamesclem.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 10:25:41 AM »
Hi Friends, Wow, everyone has been too kind in trying to help me out with a guitar. Borrowing a guiatr can be tricky as I do not want to be responsible for someone elses instrument, so I think it would be best to bring my Larrivee OM with me so I can have it with me the whole trip.
I arrive in London on May 6 and my first gig was pushed back to May 15, so if anyone has any contacts with music shops or club owners maybe we can book a workshop or performance in that time frame. They can contact me thru my website www.jamesclem.com.
Here is a new wrinkle to my London, May 16 date at Charlotte Street Blues. That night is their acoustic jam night and they have an 6-11 pm time slot to fill and they want to still have their jam. The club wants me to do a 6-7 pm opening set and to work out with the musicians how long to jam and then I will play a long set to finish the evening. Is anyone out there up for making it a Weenie Campbell blues night and doing a tune or two at 7 pm? Beer, nightclub, good sound system...this could be a fun night for everyone involved. I am thinking maybe an hour or 1 1/2 hour max jamming (let's face it, jams can be tedious for the audience ). We have three weeks to plan this, so let's get it together.
The Saturday, May 15 date is indeed open to the public. It is a benefit for the Portland Stone and Quarry Trust at Drill Hall in Portland, Dorset at 7 PM. We are planning a slide guitar and a blues/swing ukulele workshop that afternoon at Drill Hall for a very reasonable cost. Tell a friend. The idea is to swap some tunes and have a good time. Any thoughts? Regards, James Clem
www.youtube.com/mrbissonet
www.myspace.com/clemjames

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal