collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

She got up this mornin', come-a-tippin' 'cross the floor. Said mama, in her lovin' stockin' feet: "Honey, fare thee, Papa fare the well. I done all in the world I could trying to get along with you - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Stocking Feet Blues

Author Topic: Looking for my first Resonator  (Read 2903 times)

Offline pete12string

Re: Looking for my first Resonator
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 01:43:06 PM »
There's lot's of resophonic guitars out there that can fit all kinds of budgets and styles.  All of the ones mentioned are good choices.  I use a newer National Style 1 tricone, a National M2 wood body single-cone, and also have a Gold Tone Paul Beard Deluxe (spider bridge) that I use for "bluegrassy" type tunes.  The Nationals are great guitars, expensive, but great.  For the money, I found the Gold Tone to be an incredible value if the budget is kind of tight.  Happy hunting!   :D

Pete

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 01:53:36 PM »
The best advice I can offer is to play a lot of them before buying.

This will help you a) weed-out the junk, and b) understand the different types of sound available.

(continued later, I hate typing on a phone)

At the same time listen to the greats. Decide which of the different sounds you gravitate towards. Tampa Red (Sophisticated!) & Blind Boy Fuller (Pop! Slur! Rattle!) are two readily-available artists who seem to epitomize the metal tricone vs. single cone thing, to me anyway.

Maybe a good secondary question would be: Who among the greats would the weenies recommend listening to in order to decide on the sound I want? Who can I listen to that epitomizes the tricone v. single cone sound? Then you'll be better equipped to make a decision when you go out and play some.

Also, don't forget playability. If it feels like a dog, no matter how good it sounds, will you enjoy playing it for the long haul? If you want to play it sometimes in standard tuning without slide that's a big deal. The goal is a great playing instrument that sounds the way you want it to using all the techniques you want to use. When I pick it up and start playing does it "snuggle" up to me? Is it loud/restrained enough? You need to consider all these requirements, satisfying one of them is probably not enough to make it a keeper.

(great topic BTW, I moved this from jam session to gitfiddles)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:22:50 PM by Rivers »

Offline Vintage Licks

• Vintage Licks Guitars
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 07:39:51 AM »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 08:39:35 AM »
Vintage Licks,
If you want to advertise, you can always purchase advertising space.  Contact Slack for rates.
All best,
Johnm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal