collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It can be argued that Chess is the Robert Johnson of record labels: over-emphasized and sometimes over-hyped, endlessly recycled, barnacled with legends and namechecked by ignorati anxious to establish their cred. And yet - also like Robert Johnson - in an active life that was fairly short, Chess produced music of vast artistic and historical importance - Chris Smith, review of Chess Blues various artist compilations in the 2006 Penguin Guide To Blues Recordings p. 780

Author Topic: 193? Sovereign arch top  (Read 1612 times)

bamafatz

193? Sovereign arch top
« on: August 05, 2009, 09:20:09 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this beauty. All I know ia it's pre 1939 becuase Harmony bought out Oscar Shmidt and dicotinued the Sovereign brand. Harmony did make the Sovereign style 1266 flat top but that was years later. I've only seen one more of these but unfotunately it sold on e-bay for $795 so I could'nt get that one. I do know that this guitar has a beautiful sound to it and for a 70 something is in good shape. attached is a pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: 193? Sovereign arch top
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 01:37:45 AM »
Calling Neil Harpe!

Sounds like a job for you, Neil.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline harpe

• Stella Guitars
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:39:48 AM »
At the bitter end of the company's tenure, the Oscar Schmidt Company attempted to catch up with the 20th Century. For 40 years, Schmidt made instruments that were essentially unchanged in design since before 1900. Then around 1935, as the company was rapidly approaching going belly-up, some modern ideas began to appear in their lineup. During these "twilight" years, a small number of 14-fret flat top guitars, a few arch-top guitars and even some electric guitars were produced. The arch-tops were sold under both the "Stella" and "Sovereign" brand. The one pictured here is typical, although the tailpiece may not be original.

Alas, it was too little and way too late. Schmidt simply could not compete with Gibson, Epiphone and Regal with a line of arch-tops or electric guitars. The timing was simply wrong! Not even the esteemed C. F. Martin Company could make a go of selling arch-tops and electric guitars! Ironically, Schmidt's successor, the Harmony Company had great success with arch-tops and electric guitars soon after their buyout.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 07:03:53 AM by harpe »

bamafatz

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 08:40:30 AM »
Ok now I understand why it looks so much like a Gibson L-7. You are right because I can tell the tail piece has been changed. Do you know if they put model and date stamps because I cant find one anywhere. Also I was wondering is it worth the $300 I paid for it? I mean as far as sound it is too me, but I dont know about real worth. Thanks for all your help.

Offline harpe

• Stella Guitars
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 02:25:35 PM »
Schmidt did not use date stamps. I am not aware of a model designation. These are quite rare. Not particularly sought after by arch-top fanatics or Stellaphiles. But rare nonetheless. $300 paid for your guitar would be a bargain, in my opinion.

bamafatz

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:34:11 PM »
Ok so I'm not just blind, that makes me feel better. I'm also glad I did'nt get ripped off. Thanksfor all the help.....

bamafatz

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 02:33:17 PM »
If anyone is interested in taking this guitar off my hands all you gotta do is holler.

Tags: Sovereign 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal