collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

One day a man wearing a Western-style hat with a red bandanna around his neck walked into our store and announced that he was Jelly Roll Morton, the greatest stomp and blues piano player this side of New Orleans. Cassius Clay had nothing on Jelly Roll! - Lester Melrose, comparing Jelly roll Morton to a young (pre name change) Mohammed Ali

Author Topic: What Did They Play?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
What Did They Play?
« on: August 05, 2009, 03:09:23 PM »
Neil Harpe has started a new feature on his website where he writes his thoughts on the  type of guitars in the hands of the old players in some of the iconic photos of the day ..worth a look if you like these kinds of things..nice collection of BWM photos, among others..Regards, Tom

http://stellaguitars.com/What_guitars_they_played.htm
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:13:09 PM by onewent »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: What Did They Play?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 01:44:51 AM »
This site offers some information, which may or may not be correct:

http://www.earlyblues.com/blues_singers.htm

I like Neil's cautious approach to the subject. It is indeed frustrating that we will never know categorically what guitars certain important artists played.  I think it is highly likely that many of them swapped instruments on a regular basis for a variety of reasons - lack of cash being an obvious cause.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline harpe

• Stella Guitars
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
In my opinion, Dai Thomas' info is accurate - based on photos and eyewitness accounts. Dai's work should be commended. I think he gives a good account of (at least some of) the instruments these people were known to play.

Offline banjochris

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »
This is number 58 on that list --

Papa Charlie Jackson ? Probably a Euphonon guitar banjo in 1925/6 pic., a Gibson GB Banjo in the 1927 photo &, reportedly, a Gibson guitar, model unknown.

I've only ever seen one picture of Papa Charlie -- anyone know anything about this 1925/6 pic?
Chris

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal