collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

As far as singing goes, I wanted to do something new and have a style that wasn't too common. I was inspired by the records of Jimmie Rodgers, a white singer of that time. He was called the 'yodeling singer' because he would sing some parts in a head voice, like the Swiss yodelers. I took that idea and adapted it to my own abilities. I couln't do no yodelin' so I turned to howlin'. And it's done me just fine - Howlin' Wolf

Author Topic: Any experience with a Gold Tone/Paul Beard GRS  (Read 1240 times)

honeybee

Any experience with a Gold Tone/Paul Beard GRS
« on: July 27, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »
Hi,

I have been looking for an inexpensive resonator guitar and have played a Gold Tone/Paul Beard GRS at a local shop (along with a bunch of other lower end resonators). I like the sound of the GRS best and the quality of it seems good. But I have pretty limited experience.

I am wondering if anyone owns or has played extensively a GRS with the Paul Beard set-up. If so, what do you think?

Thanks,

Honeybee

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Any experience with a Gold Tone/Paul Beard GRS
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 03:05:46 AM »
Having a fancy for another spider cone it did cross my mind to look at one some time back. However I resisted and instead bought myself the real thing (70's Dobro) for much the same money on (in great condition) ebay. I take the view that old\original is far nicer and also usually increases in value over new!

All that said, I can understand if you feel wary of the older stuff, so then Goldtone probably is the best of the bunch.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline thecountryblues

• You ain't shit unless you can make 'em dance
    • www.thecountryblues.com
Re: Any experience with a Gold Tone/Paul Beard GRS
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »
The Beards are nice and a good value.
I played them but never owned one, but I had a mahogany Weissenborn by Goldtone that was really nice.
All of those will do fine and there is nothing wrong with them.
However, once you play a National against it it is like comparing a hamburger to a filet mignon.
I own a National El Trovador and it is like making it with Uma Thurman every time I play it. If you can come up with the extra money, go with a really good guitar like that. Every note will feel better. Depending on how many notes you plan on playing, the return on investment is outright sensual.
Of course, I can't play worth a shit. I am a harmonica player!
FM
(no, not Frequency Modulation- Frank Matheis)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal