collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Louise is not good lookin', her hair is not red, but she cook my breakfast bring it to my bed - Blind Boy Fuller, New Louise Louise Blues

Author Topic: bone bridge pins  (Read 1232 times)

Offline unezrider

bone bridge pins
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:34:29 PM »
hello friend,
i have a 1930 first hawaiian conservatory guitar. she has a bone saddle, & (i believe) an ebony nut - but she's got plastic pins. i've heard bone pins also affect the tone of the guitar - in a good way. but i was wondering if anyone knew to what extent. i would imagine it can't be as significant as bone nut/saddle compared to plastic, right? now bone pins would surely look better on her, but would i really be gaining anything sonically?
also, would it make a difference if i do get some bone pins, whether the slot on the pin goes beyond the ring under the pin head, or stops before it? on the plastic ones, it goes beyond.
thanks in advance,
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: bone bridge pins
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 01:16:11 AM »
Theoretically it should make a difference to the sound, but I'm afraid you'll have to experiment and see what you think.  I exchanged the "Tusq" i.e. special plastic bridge pins on my Larriv?e Rosewood Parlor for ebony ones and it made it sound dead.  I was gobsmacked to say the least.  I replaced the originals and the sound was much better again.

"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline unezrider

Re: bone bridge pins
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 11:25:12 PM »
hey parlor picker,
you may be interested to know, i asked the same question on stefan grossman's 'woodshed', & eldergreene replied, " ...bone is good for perking up a duller-sounding guitar, ebony for toning down a too-bright one..." perhaps thats why it gave your box a "dead" sound? something to look into.
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal