collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I never saw him drunk, just feelin' good all the time, the better he felt the better he played - Bill Williams on Blind Arthur Blake

Author Topic: How do you tune...?  (Read 3276 times)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Re: How do you tune...?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 11:24:14 AM »
..what Stewart said .. our instruments are limited by the fact they are 'real' things, not theories or mathematical calculations, although are based upon those things .. the guitars we play each have a relative intonation, some better than others, based upon scale length, string diameter, exact locations of frets, bridges and saddles, action height, and, the pressure with which we, as individuals, use to press down the strings to form a chord (sometimes I press too hard and 'sharpen' a note by inadvertently bending a string) .. many songs I play are out of the 1st 'C' position, but before I play a song out of 'G', I'll make sure my 'D' chord is in tune with itself, that's the usual offender for me, that and the two C notes (B string & A string) in the 1st position C chord ..  or maybe those are just the ones that bug my ears the most .. TomW

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 12:22:54 PM »
where I notice it most is between 1st position C and 1st position D.  All of it gets me to wondering how useful a tuner is, if you have to retune by ear anyway.  I don't say that to be critical, since I sometimes think "I really should get one of those things..."

tom

Offline framus12

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 12:32:11 PM »
Thanks for all the information and kind words.
In response to a few questions asked, no I don't have a framus 12string but I have lusted after a few small-body short scale models seen occasionally on E-bay. I do have a old framus though and it is my main study guitar for everything. I play it every day and it always needs the tuning tweaked after a few days. I also have a martin that almost never falls out of pitch no matter what it's tuned to, even after a few days in the case.  (I'll post a full description of my guitars in that "main guitars" thread for anyone who cares.).
RE: johnm... I always play alone these days. I used to have a harp player and he skipped town about 3 years ago.
I checked the vocal note I use with a chromatic tuner set on openG and it came close to the 5th string G note.
My vocal standard seems to change very little and if I am off or the guitar is off I just smoke another cigarette and balance or blend the 2 together in Spanish configuration and try to make it make it through a few numbers with minimal mistakes.
The guitars seem set up pretty good to me
I play fingerstyle with no picks and use a glass slide when the song calls for it, or to fill in parts of tunes I haven't yet and may never be able to work out.
Thanks for all the comments... very encouraging

Offline GerryC

• Jest settin' here a-pickin' and a grinnin'
    • www.reverbnation.com/gerrycooper
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 03:18:15 AM »
I have pickups in all my guitars (even the electrical one  :D ) and if I'm playing out it's usually in a fairly noisy environment such as a pub, club or even church (you might be amazed at how much noise a bunch of Catholics can generate before Mass begins!) so I use an electronic tuner plugged in. I have two: a little Korg model I keep in my case (and use at home) and a big 'stage' tuner pedal (NexFX by Sabine) which I use, er, on stage... It is fantastically accurate, is chromatic and can be calibrated to different standards. It can also be muted so that I can tune and chat to the audience whilst not inflicting strange noises on them - at least not until I start the next song  :( However, I also use harmonics and my ear to fine-tune, especially when playing a 12-string or mandolin. If I'm playing lead on electric I don't bother tuning: just hit the note and bend it 'til it fits...  :D

Cheerily,

Gerry C
I done seen better days, but I'm puttin' up with these...

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal