collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm happier than a hand in a barrel of tits! - Sam Mitchell, expressing his feelings about the PTCBW experience

Author Topic: What Size?  (Read 2144 times)

gus30tavo

What Size?
« on: October 18, 2005, 11:54:58 AM »
Hello. I continue collecting data to buy my new guitar.
This is size time...
As I said previously, I play blues,fingerpicking style... Although also I look for a multipurpose guitar.
Which size is the best one.?
OM, 000, 00, Dreadnought, Jumbo,
Parlor.?
Thanks to lot again...

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: What Size?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 12:04:20 PM »
HI Gustavo

OM and 000 are the same size and are considered by many to be the best multipurpose or all around guitar.

Cheers,
slack

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 12:07:11 PM »
I didn't think size mattered  ;)

Yeah, Dreads and Jumbos can be an awful lot to handle for fingerpicking, and 00 and parlor can be fun to play but may lack the kind of oomph you'll want out of a main guitar.

but, no rules.

tom

Offline Byron_L

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 09:35:35 PM »
I have the hardest time keeping all the sizes straight in my mind.? Auditorium, grand auditorium, orchestra, 00,000 (By the way how do you say those last two? Double/triple Aught?)

I'd love to see a comparative wall chart with full color photos of historic examples along with the vital statistics.? Oh, and maybe an anecdote about a famous player who favored each model.
OK, so it'd be a big chart. ;)

Byron

PS? The on-board spell check is great, thanks to whoever is responsible.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 09:42:38 PM by Byron_L »

Offline outfidel

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 05:33:35 AM »
As I said previously, I play blues,fingerpicking style... Although also I look for a multipurpose guitar. Which size is the best one.? OM, 000, 00, Dreadnought, Jumbo, Parlor.?

Literally, you could play fingerpicking blues on any size guitar -- here are some guitarists who commonly played each size:
- Dread - Merle Travis, Etta Baker, Doc Watson
- Jumbo - Rev Gary Davis, Mance Lipscomb
- OM/000 - Mississippi John Hurt, Eric Clapton, many others
- 00 - Elizabeth Cotten, Frank Stokes, Lonnie Johnson

So there really is no "best". Just find a guitar, any size, that feels comfortable to you and sounds best to your ears.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 09:05:30 AM by outfidel »
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

gus30tavo

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 09:28:49 AM »
Thanks a lot for answers. But I would like to remark that I?m going to buy the guitar by Internet, so I?m not going to hear it before I pay it. I will get only a picture and your comments and customers reviews (harmony-central.com)...
I supose I could play everything in almost any guitar, so I only want your comments and tips...
Thanks a lot anyway.

Offline outfidel

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 07:53:20 AM »
I love short-scale (24.9") guitars for fingerpicking blues. The shorter scale makes it a little easier to bend & pinch the strings. My main guitar is a short-scale 00-18CTN -- I find that the small 00 body and short scale makes this a very comfortable guitar that sounds sweet too.

Another short-scale favorite is a 000-28. In fact, I would highly recommend that you look for a used Martin 000-28H -- one of them recently sold on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum for about $1400.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 07:54:57 AM by outfidel »
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal