collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm happier than a hand in a barrel of tits! - Sam Mitchell, expressing his feelings about the PTCBW experience

Author Topic: Short Scale Guitars  (Read 707 times)

Offline wlhblues

• More Coffee!
Short Scale Guitars
« on: March 22, 2014, 05:29:58 AM »
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I love Country Blues and trying to play with the technique used by the original artists. To do this you have to essentially try to duplicate tunes note for note and I have done that with a few tunes. I love to play but don't always have the time to. I play and get involved when the spirit moves me. So, here I am.

I have two acoustic guitars a Martin D41 L and  a Martin OM28 L made in 1995. I have been looking at the Hauver Blind Blake model and wondering how much easier it would be to play given the shorter scale. I believe the scale on the OM 28 is 25.4 inches and the scale on the BB hauver is 25. This means that the scale length is only ~1.575% shorter. If the scale is proportional then the difference in the distance between the frets is rather small .022 in in the first position.

How much easier could this make the guitar to play? How much less is the string tension and how does this play into it?

Thanks in Advance,

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:31:39 AM by wlhblues »

Offline unezrider

Re: Short Scale Guitars
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »
Hello friend,
It really depends on the size of your hands?
I would suggest, if there are any guitar shops near you, to go play some with different scale lengths & see what feels best to you.
The longer vs. shorter scale will have different responses & a different overall feel. So that really comes down to personal preference at that point, & the sound in your head you're chasing.
Best of luck!
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal