collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If you play more than two chords you're showing off - Woody Guthrie

Author Topic: Robert Wilkins Private LP  (Read 1586 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Robert Wilkins Private LP
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:52:17 PM »
Normally I let ebay listings stay on ebay, but this one just has me too curious. Currently there is a listing for "LP - Private Record - Rev. Robert Wilkins - RARE". There is no track information given.

"Private Records PR 4 12" 33rpm LP Rare record Limited to 99 Copies - Not For Sale on label"

Using the zoom feature I can see the label has "1964" printed on it, and the tail end of a track title "...g Down", presumably "I Wish I Was In Heaven Sitting Down"

Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LP-Private-Record-Rev-Robert-Wilkins-RARE-/181085751174?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2a298d4786

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Robert Wilkins Private LP
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
Pretty sure that was a Document-related release of recordings from Newport and other festivals. I remember seeing it in the first Document catalog I had back in '91 or so. I couldn't afford anything pretty much at that time so didn't get it. Never seen a copy.

The same label had some Son House I think from his last public performance.

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Robert Wilkins Private LP
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »
Pretty sure that was a Document-related release of recordings from Newport and other festivals. I remember seeing it in the first Document catalog I had back in '91 or so. I couldn't afford anything pretty much at that time so didn't get it. Never seen a copy.

Excellent memory Chris. From a section of the back page of the August 1990 Document catalogue.

CLICK TO ZOOM. Hope it's readable.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:22:37 AM »
Thank you, fellas. Somehow I missed it on Stefan's discography as well, since it is there now that I look again. There are some titles on there that are not familiar to me. And the only version I have of Thank You Jesus is an instrumental, so would love to hear him with the Georgia Sea Island Singers. Someone should buy this and send me a copy.  :P

Offline alyoung

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:45:54 AM »
I'm not sure (my references aren't handy) but I think everything on this album has since been made available elsewhere.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 05:51:14 AM »
I'm not sure (my references aren't handy) but I think everything on this album has since been made available elsewhere.
Stefan is usually very good at keeping his discographies up to date but, with the exception of the Newport, I can't seem to spot the Chicago or Washington cropping up elsewhere.

http://www.wirz.de/music/wilkifrm.htm

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »

Excellent memory Chris. From a section of the back page of the August 1990 Document catalogue.

CLICK TO ZOOM. Hope it's readable.

Thanks for posting that, Alan! That was the one I had. Probably still have it buried in a pile of old magazines somewhere...

Offline alyoung

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 06:00:24 AM »
Stefan is usually very good at keeping his discographies up to date but, with the exception of the Newport, I can't seem to spot the Chicago or Washington cropping up elsewhere.

http://www.wirz.de/music/wilkifrm.htm

It was indeed a Document issue which mopped up Wilkins tracks issued on a variety of other sources. Re-united with my references, I find?

Glory Glory Hallelujah, Just a Closer Walk With Thee also on CBS (Columbia) S2BP-220205, Rare Gems (that might be an Australia/NZ issue; if so, dunno the US/UK issue)

Oh Lord I Want You To Help Me, I Wish I Was In Heaven Sitting Down ? Takoma TAK-7081, Rare Blues

The Gamblin? Man, Old Time Religion, Holy Ghost Train, I Wish I Was In Heaven ? Biograph BLP-12027, anthology This Old World's In a Hell of a Fix.

Don?t know any CD issue for the Columbia and Takoma tracks, but a CD version of BLP-12017 was on BCD-130, which dropped Holy Ghost Train and The Gamblin? Man, replacing them with Rock of Ages and When I Lay My Burden Down.

The Newport Folk Festival ones have also appeared elsewhere, with the exception of Thank You Jesus, and I have a vague memory that despite the Document LP listing the track, it wasn?t present on the album. Can anyone confirm or deny? (And if it?s deny? I need that track!!!)

Offline jostber

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:21 AM »
I have the Skip James release on Private Records: http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/181069378264/Private_Records__Skip_James_19641967__Limited_Edition

Would like to hear the Wilkins one as well.

Tags: Robert Wilkins 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal