collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I would say that Boogie-Woogie was the bad little boy of the rag family who wouldn't study. I heard crude beginnings of it in the back streets of New Orleans, in those early years following 1904, but they were really back streets... such music never got played in 'gilded palaces' - Roy Carew, from Giles Oakley's The Devil's Music, BBC

Author Topic: New Steve James CD!!!!  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Mike Brosnan

New Steve James CD!!!!
« on: December 13, 2008, 08:53:16 PM »
http://www.stevejames.com/shortbluestories.html
Mr. Vesey may've been on his way over here to tip us off, but I'm so excited I had to beat him to it!!! I've already ordered mine. Another masterpiece I'm sure!! One of my favorite modern day blues artists (he and Geremia are at the top of the heap IMO).

Offline Mike Brosnan

Re: New Steve James CD!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 01:34:12 PM »
I wanted to give a quick follow up review....
I own 4 or 5 other SJ albums and I can definitely say without a doubt: This one's my favorite. Hard to decide really cuz they're all great...
I'm fiending for a ladder braced 12 string even more now. He plays one o' these (built by Ralph Bown) on 3 tracks.
Del Rey's on 3 tracks adding her usual excellence, but the rest is all Steve (with some occasional overdubbing of mando on top of guitar).
There's even some slide mando on here!
Some excellent originals along with a few old faves.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 01:36:23 PM by brosna »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 05:03:11 PM »
Thanks brosna. Great album cover. Good to see Steve seems to have mastered how to sit in a chair. I seem to remember he was quite dyslexic about that 'hitting the chair on the way down while clutching musical instrument' thing, one riotous evening at the weenie house...  ;)

I have nearly all SJ's other records and will certainly be buying this one.

[Hope you don't mind, I've moved this topic to Music Reviews]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 05:27:30 PM by Rivers »

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 06:50:51 PM »
Thanks, Rivers.  I knew there had to be a better place for this...

Offline oddenda

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 03:55:57 AM »
Steve (and Del) have been here to Oz a number of times... they played one time down the road at The Heritage Hotel (Bulli, NSW) and came over for a visit and breakfast the next morning. Good entertainment and good music by some good people.

Peter B.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal