collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
These are the hottest kinda dogs... I mean, they're steamin' puppies - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Hot Dogs

Author Topic: Bones repertoire  (Read 9756 times)

Emma Lee

Bones repertoire
« on: August 13, 2005, 09:47:55 AM »
Hey Weenies-

What songs out there (e.g., on the Juke) are notable for incorporating bones in them? Am looking for stuff to listen to to see how bones are used with singing, guitar, etc. Michael Baytop in the bones workshop mentioned Mississippi John Hurt as someone who sometimes used bones in his music, and in class we tried Louis Collins Blues, very nice. Any Weenies know specific country blues recordings notably incorporating bones? Or any fun facts about bones, for that matter? (Recognizing that this is a family-friendly forum, please make sure any double-entendre bones references also make consistent sense in their single-entendre interpretation.)

Thanks,
Emma Lee

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Bones repertoire
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 10:05:45 AM »
Blind Blake's Dry Bone Shuffle is on the Juke.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 01:15:15 PM »
I don't have the recordings at hand, but I recall that Blind Blake had a few more, such as "That Will Never Happen No More," if my memory serves me correctly.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 02:12:47 PM »
If you can find some Archie Edwards material, he's joined by Mr. Bones, who taught Michael Baytop, on several recordings. Archie could be coming to a Juke near you soon. ;)

As mentioned, Blake has several recordings featuring bones. The two mentioned, also Hot Potatoes. I can't recall any John Hurt with bones at the moment.

edited to add fun fact: a quote from liner notes to one of Archie's CDs called Blues 'n Bones - "The bones go back to African percussion instruments and were central to the minstrel show tradition as shown by the stage names of the minstrel show men, 'Tambo' and 'Bones'."

Not vouching for the veracity of that fun fact though...

Andrew
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 02:32:42 PM by uncle bud »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 02:47:19 PM »
Hey, Emma Lee,
You might want to check out a video by Mister Bones, Percy Danforth, himself. It is distributed by Lark in the Morning and I think is available thru Homespun. He was a very energetic 89 when it was recorded in 1989, but has since passed away. Not only does he demonstrate many different rhythmic nuances, but there are several performances at the end of the tape with a variety of other players and styles.

Also, try playing along with some Blind Boy Fuller, or other raggy Piedmont blues, especially if there's some washboard work by Bull City Red to get some rhythms from.

All for now.
John C
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 02:49:35 PM »
I don't know who is the legit Mr. Bones (or Mister Bones), but the Mr. Bones on Archie Edwards' Blues 'n Bones record is Richard "Mr. Bones" Thomas. Good idea on the washboard stuff...

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 03:00:22 PM »
I imagine anyone who plays bones well gets saddled with that moniker, eh? Doesn't Blake refer to the bones player on DBS as Mister Bones, too, or maybe just "Bones"? Yeah, I think he says, "Let's go, Bones!"

Percy is white, but was first introduced to the bones when he heard to black men, one playing bones and the other sand dancing under a street lamp in Washington, D.C. when he was eight years old in 1908. He has studied the bones playing of many different cultures and states that there is a Greek urn which depicts a bones player, several thousand years B.C.

All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 01:35:09 PM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 06:31:13 PM »
Hi:

Yes Blake's That'll Never Happen No More features the bones (as well as his hot guitar playing).

Alex

PS very happy about the retrevial of Lightnin's instruments.

Emma Lee

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 07:36:57 PM »
Thanks all for the great suggestions. And thanks Slack for adding Archie Edwards' Blues and Bones to the Juke! To sum up, some bones repertoire:

Blind Blake:
          Dry Bone Shuffle
          That'll Never Happen No More
          Hot Potatoes
          and other tunes (there are 115 hits for Blind Blake on the Juke)

Archie Edwards:
     album: Blues 'n' Bones (just added to the Juke today) songs featuring bones played by Richard "Mr. Bones" Thomas:
           John Henry
           That Won't Do
           My Old Schoolmates
           Hen's Cackle (hot bones work)
           Baby Please Give Me a Break
           Payday
           Little Girl

Also see: Percy "Mr. Bones" Danforth's How to Play the Bones video from Lark in the Morning: http://www.larkinam.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_LAR027_A_Mr+Bones%3A+How+To+Play+The+Bones_E_. Per this Mr. Bones, you gotta have two sets of bones and play two-handed. Lark also sells wooden and (get this) bone bones.

Thanks all! :D Keep posting if you think of anything else.

Emma Lee

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 08:17:03 PM »
Yeah, if you ain't playin' two-handed, you're just wavin' a couple sticks.-G-

I guess the only excuse would be if you we're playin' harp with the other hand.

Anyway, Percy does get some fearsome rhythms going and it's a very good video. His technique does differ from Michael B's a bit as he holds the bones between different fingers.

Either Lovestick or Taizz had a set of bone bones one afternoon in 15 that I played a little. Distinctly different tone. Chez also explained that the different grips were Celtic and Blues when he saw me emulating Percy's Celtic grip, but I don't think the grip would stop you from playing good blues rhythms.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 07:16:57 AM »
I'm a Bones Player!
  Yes, there is a Bones Player depicted on a Grecian Urn. Shakespeare refers to Bones playing in "A Midsummer Nights Dream", I believe (but could be wrong about this one) that they're referenced in "The Canterbury Tales" and there are ancient cave drawings in China that some believe are people playing Bones (as opposed to the Grecian Urn which *clearly* depicts a Bones Player).
  So, the best guess is that, rather than emanating from any one region or culture, that Bones Playing, like the wheel, is something that all of Humanity developed independently.

As to who was the first "Mr. Bones", that comes from the Minstrel Shows, which were extremely formulaic, where the three main characters in comedic skits were Mr. Interlocutor (the Master of Ceremonies), Mr Bones (a Bones Player) and Tambo (a tamborine player). They told jokes of the "Why did the chicked cross the road?" variety.
  The first "Mr. Bones" would have been somebody in the early 1800's.

I agree with John that the best Blues to get started playing the Bones with, is any of the raggy/Piedmiont stuff. Blind Boy Fuller was a good choice. Of course, as you advance on the Bones, you can play with anything (Minor digression: John; When are you going to have your "after moving" jam session party? )

The Percy Danforth video is a must for anybody interested in playing, but I also highly recommend David Holt's "Folk Rhythms" which also teaches spoons and washboard, in addition to Bones.
  The only issue I have with the Danforth video, is his insisting upon playing two-handed. I *can* play two-handed, but have found that it's far too loud and overbearing for most playing situations. Unless you're playing with at least a half dozen other musicians, two sets of Bones just makes you an obnoxious showboater.
  The purpose of different grips, pertains to the execution of different rhythms. With the standard American grip, it's not very pleasing to the ear when you play a Shuffle ( a mainstay rhythm of the Blues), but if you use the Celtic grip, you can more easily play the 6/8 shuffle rhythm.
  For straight ahead 4/4, I go back to the American grip.

I learned the Bones from a really cool guy named JC Burris. JC was Sonny Terry's nephew, although they were the same age.
  Like JC, I play Bones with one hand and Harp with the other.
  JC's Bones and Harp can be heard on two out-of-print Folkways recordings, "Sonny Terry's Jaw Harp Album" and Sonny Terry's Washboard Band".
  He made one album of his own on Arhoolie and there is an Arhoolie CD of his playing called "Blues Professor". I highly recommend it.

My day job, is playing Guitar and Uke in Old Folk's Homes, but when I play for an Altzheimers or Dementia facility, where the people need a *lot* more sensory stimulation, I do a Vaudevillian, One-Man-Band, Novelty Act where I play the Bones, Accordion and Harp simultaneously.
  I have a "not to be taken too seriously" website about that at http://www.geocities.com/mikebillomikebillo/
  I have also performed with that combination busking on the Street ( I've also done a couple of County Fairs too ) and find that I make more money than I do with the Guitar. I guess people see a *lot* of Guitar playing street musicians but   something like this is just Martian enough to grab their attention a little more.

I'll sign off this overly-long posting with the salutation used by Bones Players to each other:
   "May your Bones be with you."

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 07:56:51 AM »
Hi Mike - thanks for the great bones info. I agree that two sets can be overpowering.

The JC Burris album is on the Juke, folks.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 09:16:54 AM »
Yeah Mike, thanks for the Bones info.  Can you explain the difference between the Celtic hold and American hold?  -- is it just the number of fingers that separate the bones?

re: two handed playing... clacking bones volume really depends on the bones being played, no?  I've heard some very loud ones and some fairly muted ones.  I think what makes two handed playing great is that you can syncapate the beat.  I also recommend David Holt's video - what a hoot, the electrified hambone is absolutely wild... it cracks me up every time I see it.

Cheers,
slack

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 10:49:20 AM »
Howdy Slack.

The difference between American and Celtic grips are that, in the American grip, the Bones, wrist and forearm are all in a fairly straight line with each other and the playing motion originates in the wrist.

In the Celtic grip, the wrist is bent back so the Bones are at approximately a 45 degree angle and the motion originates a bit more in the elbow.

For reasons, which have remained a complete and absolute mystery to me for a long time, the Celtic grip yields a better result for any rhythm that has a multiple of 3 in the time signature ( e.g. 3/4, 6/8).
  The American grip better for 4/4, 2/4, etc.
  Again, I have no clue why that is.

Certainly, the material the Bones are made of ("Bones" for Bones Playing can, of course, be made of bone, wood, or even plastic) have a definite effect on volume.
  The loudest pair I own are made of Maple and they are too loud for most playing situations.
 . The quietest are a pair of small spare rib bones I "made" myself (Basically, I ate the meat, then let the bones dry outdoors).
   Any pair of kitchen spoons held in a Bones Playing grip are pretty quiet. You can then flip them over into a spoons playing grip and they become quite a bit louder.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 11:49:02 AM »
Thanks for the great post, Mike. We love long post when they're full of good info and humor. And I, too, should have mentioned the David Holt video. It's really fun. I personally like the paper bag.

And it was you I was thinking of when I mentioned playing bones and harp, altho' Michael Baytop, who probably also knew J.C. Burris, played some last week, too. Have you been doing any Jug band lately and is there another gathering at Sutter Creek his fall? Boy, I'd love to get you up to PT next year. You would have a blast.

We're thinking late September for the Housewarming BarBQ Country Blues Jam. No date yet. We're still up to our eyeballs in boxes.

All for now.
John C,
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Emma Lee

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 12:34:00 PM »
Great to hear from a pro bones player Mike! And good luck with your move, Waxwing. Interesting about the Celtic grip and interesting about the bone bones. Also about the long history of bones. I guess for as long as people have eaten meat, there could have been bones around. (Given what Mike says about his sparerib bones, in retrospect we could have salvaged an embarrassment of bones from the 130lbs of ribs from the BBQ class.)

Re: loudness of the bones playing, there is quite a dynamic range (and tone-quality range) possible even with a given set of bones, it seems. In Mike Baytop's class he underscored the importance of generally playing quietly and tastefully with others (since the bones can of course be obnoxious), but showed that bones, on occasion, can also go crazy and do their own solo quite loudly. The speed of the attack, the muting by the hand position/grip, and the rhythm of the clicks can all vary the loudness of the bones. It was also very interesting in Mike Baytop's class learning the to play the dark click as opposed to the bright clack -- the former being the more desirable sound. The hollow of the cupped hand becomes a resonating chamber I think.

Anyway, I will definitely check out: the raggy/Piedmont stuff, Blind Boy Fuller, David Holt's video Folk Rhythms, and JC Burris' work (Blues Professor is on the Juke as Uncle Bud noted). Thanks all!

Emma Lee

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 12:43:42 PM »
I think Steve Cheseborough was talking about making bones out of camel ribs. Or am I nuts.

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 07:39:01 AM »
Emma Lee; Thanks for the welcoming words. Bones Players don't get to hear them too often :)

John; This years Jugfest will be on Oct.8. at Sutters Creek CA same as last year.
There is more info at http://www.jugfest.org

I should probably post about the event as it draws closer.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 07:45:43 AM »
Just heard another tune with bones on the Juke: Elizabeth Johnson - Be My Kid Blues.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 11:39:09 PM »
I bought some in Seattle after PT 98, complete with instructions and a cassette tape. I love playing guitar so much I never would put in enough time to progress on bones (or mando, or uke for that matter).

I gave them to another aspiring bones player. It's a great sound and I love jammin' with bones players. Spoons can be too clacky and are a health hazard.

Offline scmi11er

• Play me that old-time funky music...
    • Scott Miller: Rhythm Bones
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 11:52:32 AM »
Hi Emma Lee,

I just stumbled across your post.

In 1996 I saw Richard Thomas play live with Archie Edwards at a cozy Focal Point concert here in Saint Louis. After the concert we talked quite a bit about bones. He really appreciated my observation that it's difficult to play bones at slow tempos. We were soon surrounded by a small entourage listening to us talk shop. So on and on Richard Thomas and I kept yakking about bones.

Archie was a bit chagrined as he kept asking my opinion about particular tunes he played that night, and I had to tell him that I'm sure they were wonderful, but I really didn't know much about Blues, and...well, truthfully, I was here to see the bones player. Eventually Richard Thomas and I made our way outside where we continued chatting in the parking lot.

It's been a few years ago, but for those who are interested, I can pass along to you are that he played four cow rib bones (two in each hand) while seated.

We also checked out each others bones (bone players tend to do that). At the time I was carrying a set of the ubiquitous Lark In The Morning 'bone bones.' They look and feel like ivory but are actually made from cow shins. Richard Thomas wondered how I was able to play them, because compared to his, mine were quite narrow and thin. I would characterize his set as big heavy clunky cow ribs (which, incidentally, are like several sets I now play quite often).

The graceful style played by Mr. Thomas displays its own unique personality. I can come fairly close, but have yet to duplicate the sound to my satisfaction.

Here's a bio of Richard Thomas. Hunt around and you'll hear sound samples and find pictures of him and his bones. http://www.acousticblues.com/bones_bio.htm

The closest playing to Richard Thomas I've seen is the style of my friend 'Spike Bones' (a.k.a. Darryl Muhrer), a regular performer at Lonie Walker's Underground Wonder Bar in Chicago. Interestingly, Spike plays hard maple bones almost exclusively. You can hear Spike on his CD "Bones Meets Jazz," which was recorded in 2002.

The most notable blues musician I've played with is 'Diamond' Jim Greene, a steamin' Chicago Delta style player who learned from Archie Edwards years ago at Archie's Washington D.C. barber shop. I played big heavy clunky cow ribs with Jim on the tune "Skin Game," which got a standing ovation. (Of course Jim's stellar performance may have had something to do with it.) The performance was captured on broadcast-quality video in 2004, but I've yet to get a copy of it.

For what it's worth, here's a "hi-tech" answer to your question: I would characterize good tunes for bone-playing as well phrased toe-tapping music at tempos running in and around 120 beats-per-minute (i.e. dance/march speed).

If you or any member of this list are ever in Saint Louis, just give me a holler and I'd be delighted to jam with you or give a live bones demo.

All the best,

Scott Miller
http://rhythm-bones.com

World's oldest musical instrument

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 11:56:37 AM »
An interesting thread  :)  but don't confuse me the bone virtuoso RT 'cause it's not me !
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 12:02:21 PM »
Welcome to WeenieCambpell Scott!

Nice website -- you really ought to have that tooth fixed though.  :P

Some say the hambone is the world's oldest musical instrument - debatable I'm sure.

Cheers,
slack

Offline scmi11er

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 01:20:52 PM »
Thank you for the nice welcome.

Other contenders I've seen for first musical instrument include voice, drum, and bone flute.

Between you and me I beleive it's the voice. But for professional reasons, I think the world's oldest musical instrument is... well, you know.

All the best,

Scott Miller
http://rhythm-bones.com

World's oldest musical instrument

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 05:59:37 PM »
OK, I have nothing at all against the bones. I dabble in the instrument myself. And I've played quite a bit with bonesists Michael Baytop and Taizz Medalia. But this "bones as oldest musical instrument" theory, which I've heard before, makes no sense to me. Yes, the voice was probably the first means of making music. And striking hands against body (maybe an enemy's head?) probably  the second. But let's not count those as instruments. So, going forward in time..wouldn't picking up a stick and striking something with it come before using bones? And even when prehistoric musicians began using bones for musicmaking, wouldn't they have just struck them against each other or another object, not held them and clacked them in the way that defines "bones" as the musical instrument we know and love? Perhaps bones, played as they are now, still predate any modern instruments (if you don't count beating a stick against another stick or another solid surface)? I'd still give the nod to shaker (gourd dried with seeds inside, e.g.), rattle (various lo-tech ways of making these), cane fife, drum (hollow log struck with stick, e.g.), and possibly even some type of plucked string instrument as all likely to have predated modern-played bones. Other thoughts?
Steve Cheseborough
www.stevecheseborough.com

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 06:06:48 PM »
Between you and me I believe it's the voice. But for professional reasons, I think the world's oldest musical instrument is... well, you know.

Fair enough and a true professional.  ;D

Other thoughts?

I think drums have to be the oldest instruments because everyone knows that all drummers are Neanderthals.  :P (running and ducking before Richard shows up)

Cheers,

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 07:19:27 AM »
I thought I might revive this old thread with this very nice video, I came across on another forum:

Blind Boy Paxton with Don Flemons on bones.

Whew, what a sporty performance, it makes me feel exhausted just watching it!  :)

Cheers

Pan

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 08:02:47 AM »
Fabulous.  It's hard to believe that Blind Boy Paxton is just 20 years old - what a fine musician to carry on the tradition.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 01:42:07 AM »
Fabulous.  It's hard to believe that Blind Boy Paxton is just 20 years old - what a fine musician to carry on the tradition.

I agree - a very entertaining and enjoyable performance. However, are they really "... carrying on the tradition" or just replicating somethng from an earlier age?  Surely to carry on the tradition, they need to add more of themselves, make it a bit more 21st century, move things forward whilst maintaining the spirit of the earlier age?

I'm not sure I know the answer to the above myself, as I really enjoy such performances. Whichever way, this will doubtless stir up some interesting comments from my fellow Weenies (which is of course one of the motives for posting, I admit >:D).
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 04:43:53 AM »
Surely to carry on the tradition, they need to add more of themselves, make it a bit more 21st century, move things forward whilst maintaining the spirit of the earlier age?

The conscious rejection of modern elements is just as much a "21st Century" idea as any other decision they could make regarding the content of their music.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 06:40:37 AM »
Surely to carry on the tradition, they need to add more of themselves, make it a bit more 21st century, move things forward whilst maintaining the spirit of the earlier age?

The conscious rejection of modern elements is just as much a "21st Century" idea as any other decision they could make regarding the content of their music.

I agree, rejecting modern elements is practically cutting edge in an age where it's all about progress and growth. And these guys still take the song exactly where they want to go with it. I think there's a lot of themselves in it - it's all them.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 06:59:37 AM »
Some of us have been fortunate to hang out with Paxton for a week - he's got plenty of himself in his music, in fact I don't know how you can be so accomplished and versatile without having an enormous part of yourself in the music.  I also like the rejection of modern elements and agree, it's all them.

Offline scmi11er

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 12:24:27 AM »
In the years since Emma Lee began this thread, lots of videos are now online that demonstrate bones playing. It's been 5 years since I last posted here. So I felt compelled to put up this recent video of Dom Flemons and myself doing a bones duet at the Sheldon Concert Hall in Saint Louis. Watch long enough and you'll see us do a little clog dancing too.

Scott Miller
Saint Louis

Bone Dry Musical Instrument Co.
http://bonedrymusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/v/7umssbfrSPY

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »
David Holt Interview: Percy Danforth playing the bones:

Cheers

Pan