collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
What she did to me, people, ain't never been done before. But she really made me like it, and I want to do some more - Peetie Wheatstraw, Block and Tackle

Author Topic: Baby Gramps in San Francisco, Saturday, May 19  (Read 1800 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Baby Gramps in San Francisco, Saturday, May 19
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:39:11 PM »
Baby Gramps is playing Biscuits and Blues in downtown San Francisco (Mason at Geary) this Saturday night. Sounds like a fun show. From his web page (link on the B&B site linked above), it seems like he covers all kinds of music, particularly ragtime, from past and near present, and really gives it his own spin. Hot player on a Ntional. All the particulars at the link.

Earlier today I talked to my friend, Ed Ivey, who does booking at B&B and he told me he is trying to book more acoustic acts, which would be a very good thing. He books Terry Robb a couple times a year, Mary Flowers played with Terry once, and I've seen Del Rey and Suzy Thompson there. I think Rory plays there now and then, too. Not a whole lot of acoustic blues. But they let Ed book Gramps for a Saturday to see what kind of house an acoustic act might get. I hope some folks can make it out and maybe help get more good acoustic blues at this venue.

All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 08:47:52 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Baby Gramps in San Francisco, Saturday, May 19
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:19:31 PM »
Knowing little about Baby Gramps, I can't help but be intrigued by the following, taken from Wikipedia:

He has also been described in the Seattle Times as sounding like "Kermit the Frog on acid."

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Baby Gramps in San Francisco, Saturday, May 19
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:18:42 PM »
I first saw him here in Seattle at Folklife in 1978 and have seen him perform live several times over the years as well as hearing him occasionally on the radio. Interesting guy with an interesting act, but more than just a novelty act as there's much depth under the surface. He was in a film a while back, but I can't recall the name--perhaps its on his website. Well worth seeing in person.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal